Duck Videos Thread!

That's interesting. Is it always the same split or different variations of it? I hope they all stay as one cohesive group.

Well, the Welshie has figured out that she doesn't have to go back in the pen when I call them - she'd rather continue foraging than eat mealworms. I can't really complain about a duck who loves to forage since that should lower my feed bill, albeit a teeny bit. And one of the Cayugas who is generally naughty will now stay out with the Welshie. Just because the little snot likes to be disobedient.

Henry is so vain and likes to preen and bathe a lot and so does one of the Cayugas, so sometimes they are playing in the water while the others forage. It's not always the same Ducks in the two groups. I think now that the weather is warming up, the girls are finding their personal favorite foraging areas, and I'm glad that they feel safe enough to spread out. It's a very small backyard so they are all usually in sight of each other and if one of them starts squealing about a particularly good find, they all come running. And they all nap together, eat feed together and bathe together so I think they still consider themselves one flock.

Well, the Welshie has figured out that she doesn't have to go back in the pen when I call them - she'd rather continue foraging than eat mealworms. I can't really complain about a duck who loves to forage since that should lower my feed bill, albeit a teeny bit. And one of the Cayugas who is generally naughty will now stay out with the Welshie. Just because the little snot likes to be disobedient.

Henry is so vain and likes to preen and bathe a lot and so does one of the Cayugas, so sometimes they are playing in the water while the others forage. It's not always the same Ducks in the two groups. I think now that the weather is warming up, the girls are finding their personal favorite foraging areas, and I'm glad that they feel safe enough to spread out. It's a very small backyard so they are all usually in sight of each other and if one of them starts squealing about a particularly good find, they all come running. And they all nap together, eat feed together and bathe together so I think they still consider themselves one flock.
Ok, that makes me feel better that it's just logistics that keep them not so close. But I do like that they are in eye/earshot of each other. I loved and loved Naughty Cayuga. I laughed at her every time she was on something. Loved it. It's silly and obviously idiosyncratic of her and unique. She is naughty. I've seen her flap down and I'd love to see her get upon something. Why?? I loved your written and verbal commentary. Henry is gorgeous as are all your birds. What is he?

Wow! nice little flock and Henry is absolutely gorgeous
love.gif

Ok, that makes me feel better that it's just logistics that keep them not so close. But I do like that they are in eye/earshot of each other. I loved and loved Naughty Cayuga. I laughed at her every time she was on something. Loved it. It's silly and obviously idiosyncratic of her and unique. She is naughty. I've seen her flap down and I'd love to see her get upon something. Why?? I loved your written and verbal commentary. Henry is gorgeous as are all your birds. What is he?

She is such a silly duck! And thank you so much for your kind words about my writing and verbal commentary. My mom keeps asking me for more "talking videos" so I've been trying to do that even though it feels so awkward. I feel like I sound so stupid.

Henry is a Golden Cascade from the Holderread Farm. I'll be getting a least one GC female in the fall too! Henry has integrated into my little flock so well. (Though since I want ducklings, I do wish that he would, um, "particulate" when the girls are in the pool instead of just preening his handsome self. :rolleyes: )

She is such a silly duck! And thank you so much for your kind words about my writing and verbal commentary. My mom keeps asking me for more "talking videos" so I've been trying to do that even though it feels so awkward. I feel like I sound so stupid.

Henry is a Golden Cascade from the Holderread Farm. I'll be getting a least one GC female in the fall too! Henry has integrated into my little flock so well. (Though since I want ducklings, I do wish that he would, um, "particulate" when the girls are in the pool instead of just preening his handsome self. :rolleyes: )
You're so welcome. And trust me, you sound great. I think everyone hates the sound of their own voice. I do. I love her naughtiness. Please, if you catch her, let us know. It's funny. I mean, what duck burd hops up into a planter? Her!

I've never heard of that breed of Henry's until just a few days ago. A person in Oregon has some minis that resemble calls. But Henry is striking. And he is such a nice boy. He is probably too busy to be bothered with girls since he's so good looking and wants to play hard to get. Although it would be cool to see the offspring with one of the girls. And I love your WH.

You're so welcome. And trust me, you sound great. I think everyone hates the sound of their own voice. I do. I love her naughtiness. Please, if you catch her, let us know. It's funny. I mean, what duck burd hops up into a planter? Her!

I've never heard of that breed of Henry's until just a few days ago. A person in Oregon has some minis that resemble calls. But Henry is striking. And he is such a nice boy. He is probably too busy to be bothered with girls since he's so good looking and wants to play hard to get. Although it would be cool to see the offspring with one of the girls. And I love your WH.

I will try to get a video of her jumping up onto something - she is very naughty, so it shouldn't be too hard. Plus, I feel the need to document every single little thing they do 'cause they're just so darn cute! I'm out of town right now visiting my mom and I've been missing my little duck-ducks so much! No husband, no Yorkies, no ducks. :hit Fortunately, my mom's animals will occasionally allow me to snuggle them. But it's not the same. :(

The "person in Oregon has some minis that resemble calls" is most likely David Holderread, who, in addition to being the author of Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, is the breeder I got Henry from and the one who created both breeds. After we get our farm, I absolutely want to buy a quad of the Miniature Golden Cascade ducks too. During an update, I was talking to his wife Millie Holderread about the Miniature Golden Cascades and it turns out that she is the one who feeds them etc, and she said that they are about halfway in size between a call and a standard duck and that they are great egg layers, especially for their size. I think she said that a dozen eggs weighs at least 20 oz, but I need to do a comparison weighing of chicken eggs and my ducks' eggs to figure out what size the Miniature Golden Cascade eggs would be.

I can't wait to see what Henry's ducklings will look like! My husband saw Henry "gettin' busy" with one of the Buffs, so I'm optimistic. :fl

Back
Top Bottom