Duckling Grow-A-Long!

Pics
Yeah! Same here, i’m pretty indecisive. 🤣 I’m sure it’ll be cute!
Sometimes it take me months. 😐🤣

My family wants to name my one Swedish Chunky cause I've called her that since she was days old because she was the biggest. 😭🤣
But now I just call them all my Lil Chunkies.

Update on the duckies! They're getting so big. View attachment 3779262View attachment 3779263
Aww, I love them! Can't wait for mine to start feathering out.

But holy crap yall. So we have a blue heeler who's shown intense interest in these little ducklings. We've been pretty sure that she just wants to mother the lil peepers. The brooder is closed/locked on top and I put her in the other room if I'm opening it up, and she's never left alone with them.

Until today. I dared to leave her alone with access to the brooder for 10 minutes... when I came back, the brooder was tipped over and she was somehow IN THERE with them. Pawed open the side panel and squeezed past a 3inch gap between plastic and hardware cloth.

When I found them of course I prioritized making sure everyone was safe, but I wish in hindsight I'd gotten a picture because it was absolutely ridiculous. And somehow not a single duckling seems hurt. All are walking fine, eating, drinking. She just wanted to cuddle them I guess. But left a royal mess on the carpet...

In other news, I think we're going to need a bigger brooder, because I don't think these guys are gonna make it another week or two in this thing before they go in the duck hut. I really don't want to risk a fire with a heater out there amongst the straw. Wondering if they'll be okay at 3 weeks old with that little brinsea brooder plate instead, out of drafts, with temperatures dipping down to the 50s.

Attachments

• 20240324_134200.jpg
    20240324_134200.jpg
    866.5 KB · Views: 10
Aww, I love them! Can't wait for mine to start feathering out.

But holy crap yall. So we have a blue heeler who's shown intense interest in these little ducklings. We've been pretty sure that she just wants to mother the lil peepers. The brooder is closed/locked on top and I put her in the other room if I'm opening it up, and she's never left alone with them.

Until today. I dared to leave her alone with access to the brooder for 10 minutes... when I came back, the brooder was tipped over and she was somehow IN THERE with them. Pawed open the side panel and squeezed past a 3inch gap between plastic and hardware cloth.

When I found them of course I prioritized making sure everyone was safe, but I wish in hindsight I'd gotten a picture because it was absolutely ridiculous. And somehow not a single duckling seems hurt. All are walking fine, eating, drinking. She just wanted to cuddle them I guess. But left a royal mess on the carpet...

In other news, I think we're going to need a bigger brooder, because I don't think these guys are gonna make it another week or two in this thing before they go in the duck hut. I really don't want to risk a fire with a heater out there amongst the straw. Wondering if they'll be okay at 3 weeks old with that little brinsea brooder plate instead, out of drafts, with temperatures dipping down to the 50s.
That’s so scary! I’m glad they’re all okay.

They definitely need some more space. The brooder plate should work properly as long as it’s above 50. But I’m not sure if they could all fit under it anymore?

That’s so scary! I’m glad they’re all okay.

They definitely need some more space. The brooder plate should work properly as long as it’s above 50. But I’m not sure if they could all fit under it anymore?
Right, they definitely can't all fit under it. Seems to work fine as they currently are; even when there's room, some prefer to dogpile on top or outside of it. But I'm wary of trying that outside with temperatures still dipping in low 50s at night.

I suppose I'll need to get a bigger brooder just to last them another week or so. And toddler-proof and dog-proof it somehow lol.

Right, they definitely can't all fit under it. Seems to work fine as they currently are; even when there's room, some prefer to dogpile on top or outside of it. But I'm wary of trying that outside with temperatures still dipping in low 50s at night.

I suppose I'll need to get a bigger brooder just to last them another week or so. And toddler-proof and dog-proof it somehow lol.
If I were you I would keep them in longer and get a bigger brooder.

Hey y'all! Soon to be a new duck owner!
I've wanted ducks for awhile, and finally was able to get them. I ordered ducklings last Oct., and got Welsh Harlequins, Buff Orpingtons, and Blue Swedish. All are supposed to be girls (hopefully they all are), and I got two of each, so six in total! I ordered from Metzer.
This evening I got an email saying they shipped! They should come on Thursday. They're coming from Metzer's hatchery in CA. I hope they all arrive safe and healthy!

Hello..I see this was from last month[ I'm new]..hoping all well with ducklings..they grow fast! I received 2 girls[ white layer[ suzie] & black sweedish[ pilar] from metzer last May..first time I've owned ducks...I also adopted a 3 yr old Pekin in Sept 23..Lenny..who fit right in with my girls! They loved the kiddie pool then in Oct finally found the pond in our yard!
We ❤ them! Debating whether or not to let them have offspring..so far I take the eggs.
Good luck!

Hello..I see this was from last month[ I'm new]..hoping all well with ducklings..they grow fast! I received 2 girls[ white layer[ suzie] & black sweedish[ pilar] from metzer last May..first time I've owned ducks...I also adopted a 3 yr old Pekin in Sept 23..Lenny..who fit right in with my girls! They loved the kiddie pool then in Oct finally found the pond in our yard!
We ❤ them! Debating whether or not to let them have offspring..so far I take the eggs.
Good luck!
Hi and welcome! You might want to start your own thread so all these very knowledgeable people can help you out better. Not saying you can't post here, but it would help for folks to zone in on the exact topic since this one is for watching our ducklings grow :)

Back
Top Bottom