Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

Pics
I did a speech over eggs on monday and I'm pretty sure my classmates will not be eating eggs anytime soon after seeing what the reproductive tract looks like, and telling them about all the parts...many of them stared at me with a mix of awe and disgust, and I sorta feel bad....but oh well. Better educate em' while they're young. Sort of.

Well, I assume they know what a human reproductive system looks like. Does that keep them from wanting to cuddle and kiss babies? How about where filet mignon comes from, or chicken nuggets. If it's from a corporate farm, it turns me off.

Here in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, they have this race-thing that happens once a year...

Keeping that in mind, my friends and I were sitting around talking, and decided we were going to have what is known as a "Derby Party" this year. It will mark the first year that I haven't worked for the liquor industry since moving here, and I decided to throw the party at my house.

Someone mentioned how they didn't want to have a barbecue near chicken [poo], but they relented after I mentioned the chicken poo would be coming from the main course...

The truly, truly, stupid part came after another friend mentioned how his grandfather used to have cock-fights many, many years ago. We all know that it is illegal, but sure enough, after a few home brews, someone suggested we should let the roosters compete.

Thus was born the inaugural "Kentucky Chicken Derby." Yes, someone actually said:

"We should RACE 'em!"

Definitely the second stupidest thing uttered that day. The first being, of course: "OK."

Will update on progress. Note: This will all be accomplished through positive reinforcement maze-running.
This little dude is my pick. If he wins, I might even give him a name and keep him around. If not, we'll just call him dinner.

Well, I assume they know what a human reproductive system looks like. Does that keep them from wanting to cuddle and kiss babies? How about where filet mignon comes from, or chicken nuggets. If it's from a corporate farm, it turns me off.
See, the human reproductive system is something they all want to learn about. The moment I told them how the love birds just do a 'cloacal kiss' and telling them that roosters don't have an extension, their facial disgust raised quite a bit! I know it is a bit gross, but come on. If you're willing to hear about how to milk a cow I think its fair enough that you should know where your egg comes from. And to think they call themselves inherently intelligent and mock me for coming in to class with dairy boots on. (this is a very heavily agricultural based school by the way)

See, the human reproductive system is something they all want to learn about. The moment I told them how the love birds just do a 'cloacal kiss' and telling them that roosters don't have an extension, their facial disgust raised quite a bit! I know it is a bit gross, but come on. If you're willing to hear about how to milk a cow I think its fair enough that you should know where your egg comes from. And to think they call themselves inherently intelligent and mock me for coming in to class with dairy boots on. (this is a very heavily agricultural based school by the way)

Just remind them that with dairy cows and chickens, you'll NEVER have to worry about where your next meal is going to come from. In this world economy, not everyone can make that claim. In fact, you know without a doubt that you'll never show up at their door asking for a handout. Can they make that claim?

Keep your head high because you're in some very good company.

PS. Love the blue bangs. You're obviously a young woman who knows her own mind.

Last edited:
Here in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, they have this race-thing that happens once a year... Keeping that in mind, my friends and I were sitting around talking, and decided we were going to have what is known as a "Derby Party" this year. It will mark the first year that I haven't worked for the liquor industry since moving here, and I decided to throw the party at my house. Someone mentioned how they didn't want to have a barbecue near chicken [poo], but they relented after I mentioned the chicken poo would be coming from the main course... The truly, truly, stupid part came after another friend mentioned how his grandfather used to have cock-fights many, many years ago. We all know that it is illegal, but sure enough, after a few home brews, someone suggested we should let the roosters compete. Thus was born the inaugural "Kentucky Chicken Derby." Yes, someone actually said: "We should RACE 'em!" Definitely the second stupidest thing uttered that day. The first being, of course: "OK." Will update on progress. Note: This will all be accomplished through positive reinforcement maze-running. This little dude is my pick. If he wins, I might even give him a name and keep him around. If not, we'll just call him dinner.
LOVE the Derby idea. If your entrant wins, you can call him Seabiscuit.

Last edited:
I have some of those disgusting eggs too! However, I dont have any of those really dark ones. What breed lays those? I want to get a couple of those hens.

Just expanding on what I have discovered. My welsumers lay very dark eggs, too. Only when they are next to the black copper marans eggs can I tell them apart. The cuckoo marans seems to lay a lighter egg than the black copper. I know several people with cuckoos and those eggs are a medium brown.
In order of darkness I would put Black copper marans but the welsumer are really close and the blue splash marans just a shade lighter.

I never thought that so many people could be so ignorant about something that they eat on a day to day basis, I mean sure you might find a few but it just seems to go on forever. Thankfully there are very few people who know so little about chickens. . . As far as I know anyway. Then again, I live in the middle of nowhere in central Texas, in the town were instead of having Martin Luther King day off at school, we have a day off for the stock show!
lol.png

I never thought that so many people could be so ignorant about something that they eat on a day to day basis, I mean sure you might find a few but it just seems to go on forever. Thankfully there are very few people who know so little about chickens. . . As far as I know anyway. Then again, I live in the middle of nowhere in central Texas, in the town were instead of having Martin Luther King day off at school, we have a day off for the stock show! :lol:

People don't want to know because they don't want to have to think; guess it hurts their brains. So, they prefer to stay ignorant. Makes life easier when you eat and don't ask questions. But, I've always wondered, if ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?

Just remind them that with dairy cows and chickens, you'll NEVER have to worry about where your next meal is going to come from. In this world economy, not everyone can make that claim. In fact, you know without a doubt that you'll never show up at their door asking for a handout. Can they make that claim?

Keep your head high because you're in some very good company.

PS. Love the blue bangs. You're obviously a young woman who knows her own mind.
That makes my day! Its been a little eh' but your post made me really happy, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom