Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

I haven't even been able to free range my girls and so far there is a slight richer flavor to their eggs but I feed scratch and peck so they aren't getting any processed grain. I also have very sensitive taste buds so that could have something to do with it.

You may want to supplement that somehow, for nutrition sake, especially since you aren't able to free range.

I will say, I can taste the difference in my chicken and guinea eggs. I rarely eat eggs in general so I think that is why I can't taste the difference, since I can't even remember what a store bought egg tastes like our the last time I had one lol

From what I understand, the feed isn't processed food in the sense that, say, a bag of potato chips are. The grains are ground then fortified, a binder added, and then pelletized or left as crumble. I'd say it's similar to making a cake, bread, or pasta from scratch, which is still technically "processed" unless you are grinding your own flour, using raw sugar, and so on. There's nothing wrong with feeding whole grains either, but scratch grain mixtures are not formulated for complete nutrition at any life stage.

Scratch and peck feed is a complete non gmo non corn organic feed. It's not scratch grain. And I can free range but our lot is just dirt and immature trees at this point so there is no point. The brand name is Scratch and Peck btw. I also add Brewers yeast and extra kelp daily and feed fresh mealies and scraps regularly. They also have access to sweet potato vines through their run fence.

You may want to supplement that somehow, for nutrition sake, especially since you aren't able to free range.

I will say, I can taste the difference in my chicken and guinea eggs. I rarely eat eggs in general so I think that is why I can't taste the difference, since I can't even remember what a store bought egg tastes like our the last time I had one lol

From what I understand, the feed isn't processed food in the sense that, say, a bag of potato chips are. The grains are ground then fortified, a binder added, and then pelletized or left as crumble. I'd say it's similar to making a cake, bread, or pasta from scratch, which is still technically "processed" unless you are grinding your own flour, using raw sugar, and so on. There's nothing wrong with feeding whole grains either, but scratch grain mixtures are not formulated for complete nutrition at any life stage.

Last edited:
Scratch and pack is very good food. But I would suggest either fermenting it or add water to it so that they get all the benefits of the powder nutrients and vitamins. It is actually designed to be fed wet.

I feed it dry the add water to the fines that are left over. I tried fermenting it and it went foul. Will try again over winter with smaller amounts. Just need to get my hands on some large glass jars as I don't want to try with buckets again because they can't be cleaned as easily.

Scratch and pack is very good food. But I would suggest either fermenting it or add water to it so that they get all the benefits of the powder nutrients and vitamins. It is actually designed to be fed wet.

Scratch and peck feed is a complete non gmo non corn organic feed. It's not scratch grain. And I can free range but our lot is just dirt and immature trees at this point so there is no point. The brand name is Scratch and Peck btw. I also add Brewers yeast and extra kelp daily and feed fresh mealies and scraps regularly. They also have access to sweet potato vines through their run fence.

I learn something new every day! Sorry, I wasn't trying to lecture but I have definitely stumbled across people trying to feed scratch as sole ration feed.

You're good. I have come across it as well. The name of the brand does make it confusing but it just refers to it being whole grain based.

I learn something new every day! Sorry, I wasn't trying to lecture but I have definitely stumbled across people trying to feed scratch as sole ration feed.

Maybe I should have said a uterus like a humans? Still applied menstruation with women can happen whether ovulation occurs or not. And the parts are very different. I just don't get how anyone can try to explain anything about a bird in relation to any mammal.
1f60c.png

I agree and my thoughts exactly. Some diagrams do have the shell gland as akin to the uterus, though. The process is still not like menstruation though.

I feed it dry the add water to the fines that are left over. I tried fermenting it and it went foul. Will try again over winter with smaller amounts. Just need to get my hands on some large glass jars as I don't want to try with buckets again because they can't be cleaned as easily.

I have never had a trouble with it going bad when I fermented it. I did use a 5 gallon bucket but now I use a 3 gallon bucket I got free at the bakery at the grocery store. It's food grade and very easy to clean. Although I never really have to clean it because I just keep adding to it although I do rinse down the sides with water.

Ya everyone keeps saying that they had not problem but I just can't risk spoiling more of the food. It's too expensive and I have to order it monthly from azure standard
1f61e.png
I waisted several days of feed that first round. Went into the trash. I think it was too warm in my garage or something introduced some bacteria to it (maybe a bug). My garage is insulated but I'm not fermenting in the house until I have some glass jars to use. That way I can use cheese cloth on the top and keep it up off the ground. I had issues with fruit flies getting in my fermented feed when I was doing it to grower crumbles because I just had the bucket kid sitting on top of it.

I have never had a trouble with it going bad when I fermented it. I did use a 5 gallon bucket but now I use a 3 gallon bucket I got free at the bakery at the grocery store. It's food grade and very easy to clean. Although I never really have to clean it because I just keep adding to it although I do rinse down the sides with water.

Back
Top Bottom