Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

Ya everyone keeps saying that they had not problem but I just can't risk spoiling more of the food. It's too expensive and I have to order it monthly from azure standard
1f61e.png
I waisted several days of feed that first round. Went into the trash. I think it was too warm in my garage or something introduced some bacteria to it (maybe a bug). My garage is insulated but I'm not fermenting in the house until I have some glass jars to use. That way I can use cheese cloth on the top and keep it up off the ground. I had issues with fruit flies getting in my fermented feed when I was doing it to grower crumbles because I just had the bucket kid sitting on top of it.
I used a mason jar with the dish cloth over the top when I had little chicks. I order from azure also. It's half the price of ordering from Amazon. I also order different kinds of feed and I mix them all together. Sometimes if it isn't used up in a while it will get a very strong smell but it doesn't mean it's bad. But it can definitely stink up the room. I try not to get it that bad :)

OK, to try to be a little bit on topic here. I had a neighbor that swore to me that chicken stew Notley green eggs. Until I showed him one. He was so surprised he went around and showed it to everybody he knew. I sell my eggs at work and I've had one person ask me what the differences between the different colored eggs. I have a green pink and various shades of brown. I told them it was the different colored chicken :) :) then I told him the truth.

Ya this wasn't stinky this was bad. Another reason I am nervous about fermenting it. I really don't want stinky stuff in my house
1f615.png

I used a mason jar with the dish cloth over the top when I had little chicks. I order from azure also. It's half the price of ordering from Amazon. I also order different kinds of feed and I mix them all together. Sometimes if it isn't used up in a while it will get a very strong smell but it doesn't mean it's bad. But it can definitely stink up the room. I try not to get it that bad :)

I learn something new every day! Sorry, I wasn't trying to lecture but I have definitely stumbled across people trying to feed scratch as sole ration feed.

At our county fair, we had 2 new 4-h clubs that fed their flocks just scratch. One of their birds was so malnourished, they had to take it home. I don't care if they were new to chickens, there is no excuse for an ENTIRE 4-H club to feed their birds solely scratch. We have the internet. Or they could have asked the people they got the scratch from. Even feed stores would have at least steered them in the right direction. I hope that the kids showing those birds learned their lesson and have switched to layer or all flock. There was also someone who never showed up after day 1 to take care of their chicken, so other great people made sure it always had food and water. Needless to say the judge was NOT happy with those people, and was very harsh on everyones' chickens weight this year. Sorry. Had to rant.

On a happier note: When I was little, I thought that white eggs were bleached, just like sugar and wheat. Then we got chickens. I love my fluffy-butts.

At our county fair, we had 2 new 4-h clubs that fed their flocks just scratch. One of their birds was so malnourished, they had to take it home. I don't care if they were new to chickens, there is no excuse for an ENTIRE 4-H club to feed their birds solely scratch. We have the internet. Or they could have asked the people they got the scratch from. Even feed stores would have at least steered them in the right direction. I hope that the kids showing those birds learned their lesson and have switched to layer or all flock. There was also someone who never showed up after day 1 to take care of their chicken, so other great people made sure it always had food and water. Needless to say the judge was NOT happy with those people, and was very harsh on everyones' chickens weight this year. Sorry. Had to rant.

On a happier note: When I was little, I thought that white eggs were bleached, just like sugar and wheat. Then we got chickens. I love my fluffy-butts.
Or they could have just read the label on the bags of scratch. They all clearly state that it is not a sole ration.

I was talking to one of the trainers at the gym about chickens etc. the client he was training looked at me and said "Chickens are a kind of reptile, right?"
I looked at the trainer and walked away
1f633.png
:confused:
NO WORDS

Okay lol you just gave me a side stitch! Lol

Omg no way! It's amazing some people know how to walk and talk and drive a car but don't know squat about a dumb ol chicken. I guess we know who the real bird brain is. P.S. I dont think chickens are dumb. Was just making a point. Although sometimes i wonder.lol. I love my little bird brains.

I must admit while I don't think chickens as a whole are dumb we have a few that are definitely beyond dumb. We joke that we will never hatch their eggs because they shouldn't procreate. Lol

Sadly I've known many people who believe scratch is a complete ration or that corn screenings are. It's terrible and their birds looked sad and sickly. They were also missing many of their feathers.

Okay so here's another story for you all my Grandma grew up in another time if course but several days ago upon inspection we found a quite large infected gash on one of our chocolate English Orpington pullets' side. Although we don't know when she got it as she has been acting normally we believe it was either a hawk or an overly armorous cockeral. We have no roos with spurs at this point. We never saw any blood or noticed anything off. It looks as though the skin between her wing and right hip just tore and crumpled down to the bottom of the wound. Which at its deepest point extends forward under the skin about 2-3 inches. She was of course cleaned up very well and treated. The wound after thorough cleaning and debridement was packed with antibiotic ointment and sprayed with bluekote. She was also started on an antibiotic shot.

We were visiting my mother and Grandmother this weekend and I was telling them about this pullet and her wound(my mother is a RN). My mother was very impressed knowing how hard this would be for me loving this pullet as I do. Grandma looked at my DH2B and said cut off her head and throw her away, why would you put so much into her?

Now I was raised right but in that moment I could have slapped Grandma. We all just stared at her, my mother included as she also loves the flock.

I explained to Grandma her rarity and worth, and got a "So."

She knows what she's worth and I told her she will recover but she does have dementia so we'll blame that.

Why in the world would we ever kill something that we've worked so hard to save when, she's not suffering, she's recovering seemingly well and she's only six months old?!

I do understand it was a different time back then, a time when you didn't expend unnecessary resources. Still wow.

Okay lol you just gave me a side stitch! Lol
I must admit while I don't think chickens as a whole are dumb we have a few that are definitely beyond dumb. We joke that we will never hatch their eggs because they shouldn't procreate. Lol

Sadly I've known many people who believe scratch is a complete ration or that corn screenings are. It's terrible and their birds looked sad and sickly. They were also missing many of their feathers.

Okay so here's another story for you all my Grandma grew up in another time if course but several days ago upon inspection we found a quite large infected gash on one of our chocolate English Orpington pullets' side. Although we don't know when she got it as she has been acting normally we believe it was either a hawk or an overly armorous cockeral. We have no roos with spurs at this point. We never saw any blood or noticed anything off. It looks as though the skin between her wing and right hip just tore and crumpled down to the bottom of the wound. Which at its deepest point extends forward under the skin about 2-3 inches. She was of course cleaned up very well and treated. The wound after thorough cleaning and debridement was packed with antibiotic ointment and sprayed with bluekote. She was also started on an antibiotic shot.

We were visiting my mother and Grandmother this weekend and I was telling them about this pullet and her wound(my mother is a RN). My mother was very impressed knowing how hard this would be for me loving this pullet as I do. Grandma looked at my DH2B and said cut off her head and throw her away, why would you put so much into her?

Now I was raised right but in that moment I could have slapped Grandma. We all just stared at her, my mother included as she also loves the flock.

I explained to Grandma her rarity and worth, and got a "So."

She knows what she's worth and I told her she will recover but she does have dementia so we'll blame that.

Why in the world would we ever kill something that we've worked so hard to save when, she's not suffering, she's recovering seemingly well and she's only six months old?!

I do understand it was a different time back then, a time when you didn't expend unnecessary resources. Still wow.

This mind set is prevalent in all generations and doesn't just apply to farm/food animals. Many people see animals as objects or commodities. Not that I'm telling you something you don't know. I just think it's sad, especially for the animals' sake. Not everyone needs to be an "animal lover" but they should appreciate it as a living thing. Euthanasia is fine when necessary, but not just because the animal becomes inconvenient, doesn't meet SOP, etc. Of course, maybe I am a hypocrite, because I WILL kill a fox or raccoon that tries to pick off my flock.

Hello all.

First - Gave some fresh eggs to friends of the family. We have known them for over 20 years. The husband was hesitant to eat the Blue egg and his daughters thought it was to pretty. However, he did eat it and next time I just gave him brown eggs. I thought it was pretty funny.

Second - I have read threw all the posts and very one says fresh eggs taste better than store bought. However, I do not taste a difference. Could it be the feed I give them. I give them 20% laying pellets from Jupe Mills

JUPE LAYER PELLET 20%
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

Crude Protein, minimum 20.00%
Lysine, minimum 0.85%
Methionine, minimum 0.34%
Crude Fat, minimum 3.00%
Crude Fiber, maximum 4.00%
Calcium, minimum 3.00%
Calcium, maximum 4.00%
Phosphorus, minimum 0.70%
Salt, minimum 0.25%
Salt, maximum 0.50%
INGREDIENTS:
Grain Products, Plant Protein Products, Processed Grain By-Products, Forage Products,
Animal Protein Products, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Salt, DLMethionine,
L-Lysine, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Vitamin E
Supplement, Choline Chloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin
Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate Complex, Thiamine
Mononitrate, Biotin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Potassium Sulfate,
Magnesium Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate,
Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, and Sodium Selenite.
FEEDING DIRECTIONS:
Jupe Laying Mash 20% is designed to be fed as the sole ration to finishing hens from
time first egg is laid throughout the time of egg production. Provide clean, fresh water at
all times.

Now I do notice that the texture is different when I fry my eggs. The white is firm and the yoke is more thicker and creamier or it could be just my taste buds. I have only been raising chickens for 9 months.

Thank You for any replies.

Don't have the horses any more but the chickens used to love following them around. I always said the good flavor came from eating horse poop. Haven't noticed much difference in taste but I think the chickens miss it.

Yes animals for many are just a means to and end. I could never kill any wild animal even if it was coming after my flock. I'd rather trap and relocate. I do eat meat though and my entire family hunts. I would also raise birds to eat but I'm not sure I could do the killing part. I feel horrible even when I squish a bug. As I get older my sensitivity to killing seems to increase (maybe something to do with having a child). I was fairly desensitized to it after living in Arkansas as a kid. Way too many whack jobs out in those parts.

This mind set is prevalent in all generations and doesn't just apply to farm/food animals. Many people see animals as objects or commodities. Not that I'm telling you something you don't know. I just think it's sad, especially for the animals' sake. Not everyone needs to be an "animal lover" but they should appreciate it as a living thing. Euthanasia is fine when necessary, but not just because the animal becomes inconvenient, doesn't meet SOP, etc. Of course, maybe I am a hypocrite, because I WILL kill a fox or raccoon that tries to pick off my flock.

I don't think that makes you a hypocrite at all. It's a sad but true fact that people think of animals as disposable. Now idk if you alk have any idea about the cost of English orps but I've seen chocolates go for as high as 60-70$ a bird for good quality and she's got nice type. I could never afford to have bought a bird that expensive but I was blessed enough to be given an extra hatch from another BYCer. Not only is she worth a lot of money she was a gift and I want to use her for breeding, so yes if I thought she was suffering permanently or too far gone we wouldn't have forced her to carry on. But in spite of the infection the wound was trying to heal and though she's lost weight she not on deaths door. Though she smelled like it at first she no longer smells at all.

I'm of the same mind. It's so terrible and sad when people want to put down an animal BC it got too big or got old or they got a new one. Or they had a baby or anything there's hundreds of reasons people will come up with. Animals are lifetime commitment that's how I was raised and that's how I'll raise my future children. Humanity should put more emphasis on thinking like this. Even animals to be used for meat should have a good life a good existence until that one bad day. Yes they're animals but they're God's creatures and we were entrusted with their care.

That being said I grew up in a family of hunters no I do not hunt. I've never killed anything more than a spider, fly etc. However this year we have so far lost 17 birds to predators and I can tell you that if I see that coyote or that fox I will shoot it. We began the spring with 33 birds, not all the ones we lost were from this spring some were new birds we bought or hatched but still that's insane. Many of the ones we lost were my favorite birds. Yes I see the good in trapping and relocating to a degree. Firstly to really relocate them far enough away so mthey won't come back is mostly illegal unless the DNR is involved. Secondly once a coon or most predators learns to think of them(or anything) as a food source they teach it to their offspring and so on and so forth. To use my grandparents' home and experience as an example soon you have 10-20 coons that keep reproducing and breaking into buildings and teaching their young to eat the barn cats' food. Until they chase the cats away and come right up onto the porch to eat by the door and they lose their fear of humans because of it. It's dangerous they'll attack a dog and the cats can't eat because of the coons. We have come to the point where the only way is to break the cycle. They broke into a shed on the property that was used for storage and destroyed hundreds of dollars in antiques and personal items including photos that can never be replaced. Clean up will take months. I understand where you're both coming from and I agree with you both to a degree. There are consequences to every action. We tried to drive the coons away but it hasn't worked and they have become more and more bold while destroying more and more stuff. In the meantime their population has exploded BC of the food source which can eventually lead to a higher rate of disease. Horrible fights that can be heard across the property are not uncommon and at any one time if you walk into a couple sheds on the property that the coons live under and have also broken into and destroyed you can usually find a dead one from disease or fights we don't know. My point is there are times when the only option is to put something down but it's still something that should never be taken lightly and should never be done for convenience sake. I used to think all animal shelters should be no kill until I worked at one. I believe there is a time and a place for it. When the suffering is too great and/or the animal is literally starving to death while being kept alive with meds and subq fluids. I think if that animal has no chance of recovery and is being forced to linger then I think that we owe it to that animal to give it peace. My great Grandma was of a generation where they didn't pay to put an animal down and when they had too many barn cats they drowned kittens. I think that's sick and cruel but I know that was common back in the day. In some ways we have come quite far but in others not so much.

Yes animals for many are just a means to and end. I could never kill any wild animal even if it was coming after my flock. I'd rather trap and relocate. I do eat meat though and my entire family hunts. I would also raise birds to eat but I'm not sure I could do the killing part. I feel horrible even when I squish a bug. As I get older my sensitivity to killing seems to increase (maybe something to do with having a child). I was fairly desensitized to it after living in Arkansas as a kid. Way too many whack jobs out in those parts.

Back
Top Bottom