Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

J
I don't think that makes you a hypocrite at all. It's a sad but true fact that people think of animals as disposable. Now idk if you alk have any idea about the cost of English orps but I've seen chocolates go for as high as 60-70$ a bird for good quality and she's got nice type. I could never afford to have bought a bird that expensive but I was blessed enough to be given an extra hatch from another BYCer. Not only is she worth a lot of money she was a gift and I want to use her for breeding, so yes if I thought she was suffering permanently or too far gone we wouldn't have forced her to carry on. But in spite of the infection the wound was trying to heal and though she's lost weight she not on deaths door. Though she smelled like it at first she no longer smells at all.

I'm of the same mind. It's so terrible and sad when people want to put down an animal BC it got too big or got old or they got a new one. Or they had a baby or anything there's hundreds of reasons people will come up with. Animals are lifetime commitment that's how I was raised and that's how I'll raise my future children. Humanity should put more emphasis on thinking like this. Even animals to be used for meat should have a good life a good existence until that one bad day. Yes they're animals but they're God's creatures and we were entrusted with their care.

That being said I grew up in a family of hunters no I do not hunt. I've never killed anything more than a spider, fly etc. However this year we have so far lost 17 birds to predators and I can tell you that if I see that coyote or that fox I will shoot it. We began the spring with 33 birds, not all the ones we lost were from this spring some were new birds we bought or hatched but still that's insane. Many of the ones we lost were my favorite birds. Yes I see the good in trapping and relocating to a degree. Firstly to really relocate them far enough away so mthey won't come back is mostly illegal unless the DNR is involved. Secondly once a coon or most predators learns to think of them(or anything) as a food source they teach it to their offspring and so on and so forth. To use my grandparents' home and experience as an example soon you have 10-20 coons that keep reproducing and breaking into buildings and teaching their young to eat the barn cats' food. Until they chase the cats away and come right up onto the porch to eat by the door and they lose their fear of humans because of it. It's dangerous they'll attack a dog and the cats can't eat because of the coons. We have come to the point where the only way is to break the cycle. They broke into a shed on the property that was used for storage and destroyed hundreds of dollars in antiques and personal items including photos that can never be replaced. Clean up will take months. I understand where you're both coming from and I agree with you both to a degree. There are consequences to every action. We tried to drive the coons away but it hasn't worked and they have become more and more bold while destroying more and more stuff. In the meantime their population has exploded BC of the food source which can eventually lead to a higher rate of disease. Horrible fights that can be heard across the property are not uncommon and at any one time if you walk into a couple sheds on the property that the coons live under and have also broken into and destroyed you can usually find a dead one from disease or fights we don't know. My point is there are times when the only option is to put something down but it's still something that should never be taken lightly and should never be done for convenience sake. I used to think all animal shelters should be no kill until I worked at one. I believe there is a time and a place for it. When the suffering is too great and/or the animal is literally starving to death while being kept alive with meds and subq fluids. I think if that animal has no chance of recovery and is being forced to linger then I think that we owe it to that animal to give it peace. My great Grandma was of a generation where they didn't pay to put an animal down and when they had too many barn cats they drowned kittens. I think that's sick and cruel but I know that was common back in the day. In some ways we have come quite far but in others not so much.

I get you but see I would have probably worked on remedying the situation by bring in dogs of our own to keep the coons away. They will not live in an area where coon dogs are kept and there are others that are flock protectors that can be let out with the birds that will keep away dogs, coyotes, you name it. I do understand that sometimes when a situation gets out of hand something may need to be done. People hunt coons all the time. Also, I just think people in the old days were a little short sited. Wouldn't it remedy the cat population better to just castrate all of the male cats and it wouldn't take much longer than drowning kittens
1f61e.png

J
I get you but see I would have probably worked on remedying the situation by bring in dogs of our own to keep the coons away. They will not live in an area where coon dogs are kept and there are others that are flock protectors that can be let out with the birds that will keep away dogs, coyotes, you name it. I do understand that sometimes when a situation gets out of hand something may need to be done. People hunt coons all the time. Also, I just think people in the old days were a little short sited. Wouldn't it remedy the cat population better to just castrate all of the male cats and it wouldn't take much longer than drowning kittens
1f61e.png

X2! It's so sad!

Ummmm. Ya'll. We've gotten waaaaay off topic, and it's been going on for several days now. Can we get back to the subject of the board? If you'd like to continue your conversation about feeding, humane treatment of animals, and so on, I'm sure there are boards geared to those topics. Or, you could start a new board that's open to any and everything, and call it "Ramblings".

Just saying.

I'm by no means a friend of PETA a greenie or a treehugger, but I prefer not to kill things bc it's here for a purpose. yes there are millions of spiders, but this big yellow one by the house is eating insects that could other wide be terrorizing me. Lol and yes I have a large rat snake that lives in my basement. Has for yrs. And every spring he comes out and hangs around the yard. I see it now and then and the cat stays away from it. It eats critters I dont want getting into chicken feed etc. My dumb brother wants me to kill it. WhY? Bc it's a snake! Uhhh so? My mom and I both are like no! I don't love the snake and if something gets it, ok. There will be other snakes. But on the farm, I'm living it it's world and it provides a service for it's free room and board. Who am I to decided it's worth? Lots of "pests" have worth we could never fathom. Don't want them out of hand but we just gotta look at it realistcally.

Woooiaaaa there big bird but is on a limb or a dog turd???
we have had the limbs or pieces of them
being brought up on the deck by our pyrenees pup
they look just like dog turds first see them you
have to wonder before you kick it?

Back
Top Bottom