Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

Some things you would think would just be common sense
1f602.png

Ok I have been on this form for a long time but never had a story till now.
So yesterday I had my silver laced Cochin at a small show... nothing different than normal there was about 10 hens and 2 roos.
A middle age couple came over and looked at my hens feet and said...
"Oh my god what is wrong with her feet"
I was quite confused and asked what do you mean, her feathers?
"Yeah does she have a disorder?!"
Um yeah no, I couldn't believe she had no clue there was feather footed chickens. No less later that same day a young man came over and looked at the egg that was laying in the bottom of the cage (I didn't have time to grab it as I was cleaning up the supplies to leave)
The young man "Isn't the egg going to spoil just sitting there."
"No she just layed it about 30min ago."
"Oh?" "why is it so small all the eggs I get from the store are twice the size."
I then had to have the whole egg talk with a man that was probably around 30years old *face palm*

I'll say, I really only see large, x-large, and jumbo eggs at the store so maybe you would think that's how big all chicken eggs are (though then you would think the scale would be small, medium, large if that was the case). Also, most images of chickens, real or drawn, are clean footed, so feather footed varieties would be new to you as well. I don't recall seeing feather footed chickens prior to a year ago, from what I can remember.

I think sometimes we confuse lack of exposure with stupidity.

Thinking a bird has a disorder because it's feathers extend down its feet is not lack of exposure. Did you think the first chicken you saw with feather feet had something wrong with it? Prob not lol But I do get what you are saying. Too many in our country know way too little about a lot of things. It's a major problem in the US

I'll say, I really only see large, x-large, and jumbo eggs at the store so maybe you would think that's how big all chicken eggs are (though then you would think the scale would be small, medium, large if that was the case). Also, most images of chickens, real or drawn, are clean footed, so feather footed varieties would be new to you as well. I don't recall seeing feather footed chickens prior to a year ago, from what I can remember.

I think sometimes we confuse lack of exposure with stupidity.

Thinking a bird has a disorder because it's feathers extend down its feet is not lack of exposure. Did you think the first chicken you saw with feather feet had something wrong with it? Prob not lol But I do get what you are saying. Too many in our country know way too little about a lot of things. It's a major problem in the US

My first thought at seeing feathered feet was "Aw cool, she looks like she's wearing furry boots!! It's a high fashion chicken!"
love.gif

I grew up on a farm white leghorns and a few darker never had feathers on the feet
when I had to surrender work 4 years later I, We moved here I thought fresh eggs better for us
bought chickens Plymouth Barred Rock big hardy birds pretty white with black oh
look at those feet Light Brahmas 9 of each

On the subject of meat, younger animals are more tender, less gamey, and you are right that dairy steer are better butchered as calves. Generally, they are butchered at just shy of a year old. It's the same with lambs. They aren't butchered as LAMBS, but as young sheep at about 8 months old. It has been fairly standard practice to butcher at least a few animals small in most species, because often you couldn't afford to raise all of them out. That's why suckling pigs were popular, especially. I don't have an issue with this or with horses/llamas/low quality alpacas being butchered. You have to thin the gene pool somehow. That's why we have such low prices for these animals now. People can't afford to keep them in a lot of instances, because they don't pay for themselves.

As for stories, one of my good friends came to buy eggs and was absolutely shocked that I had black eggs. She thought I'd dyed them or coated them as a joke. It took showing her picture after picture on Google to understand it lol

The first feather footed I saw I believe were my neighbor's silkies, and they're just messed up looking all around, so you can't really be shocked by the feathered legs lol.

Back
Top Bottom