Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

Hope I'm not intruding on any coversation here. My neighbours had a rooster and hen that free range day and night and are basically wild because they don't take care of them at all. I rescued some of their chicks and one turned out to be a rooster. I couldn't let my rooster free range during the day because their rooster would fight with him. This week their pitbull killed their rooster, so they sent me a message to say I can let my rooster out now because the dog killed theirs!!

LOL, bet that gave you a warm feeling in your heart!

lj

Unless your yard is 100% dog proof, I think I'd keep them locked up...

The dog can't get out, but the chickens can get over the fence. And now that their dog has tasted chicken, they basically just invited my rooster over for a meal. I always keep my chickens locked up unless I'm outside with them. I'm home most of the time so they still get to range quite a bit.

Yeah, I saw that episode, last one I was able to see I think. But I don't think that will work other than for their own enjoyment. That's like secondary cannibalism. They need to feed them walkers in order to start the mad cow disease.

Ahh okay. And hmmm yeah, i hadnt thought about that.

The dog can't get out, but the chickens can get over the fence. And now that their dog has tasted chicken, they basically just invited my rooster over for a meal. I always keep my chickens locked up unless I'm outside with them. I'm home most of the time so they still get to range quite a bit.
The "once a dog tastes chicken it will always want to kill them" is an old wives' tale. There are people who raw feed chicken to their dogs and the dogs don't go kill every chicken on the place. We feed our dog raw scraps when we butcher deer - my dog doesn't chase them down and kill them. It's more of a case of, once a dog finds out how much fun it is to chase and catch the self-propelled squeaky toys, they want to do it again and will continue to do so until they get trained out of it, or their people figure out that they need to keep dog separated from the chickens.

Not sure if this counts as a stupid thing about chickens, but it is a stupid thing.

A few days ago, my dad wanted to grind off a callous on his foot. So he goes outside and takes a belt sander to it! His skin got caught in the belt and got tore up a bit. I think my dad never matured past 13 years old :idunno

Okay ew ew ew on not such a huge deal but ouch! Guessing that wasn't one of his finer moments.
Lol makes me think of last summer. My Mom found out that those callous removing things they use for pedicures are basically razors. Okay no problem right? So she goes out and buys a package of disposable razors thinking she can take callouses off herself. I tell he I don't think it's a good idea.

Two days later Mom comes over with both her big toes bandaged. When asked about it she tells me she just went a little too deep. Her toes looked like hamburger! What's worse she tried it once more after they healed. That time only one toe was bandaged.

Normally my mother is a very intelligent woman. That was one instance that I wondered. Lol I bought her a pumice.

To my knowledge she's given up for now.

Lol I'm going to say I'm glad that story isn't about chickens because taking a belt sander to yourself is funny but taking it to a chicken is OMG ***! lol

ETA I just noticed it changes W T F to asterisks. What if the F stands for frickola or fudge cakes or something? lol

Incidentally it also bleeps out ticked, tick-ed.

I agree, totally not fair. Or it could stand for "Frickasee" , like Chicken Frickasee (sp?). 

Hope I'm not intruding on any coversation here. My neighbours had a rooster and hen that free range day and night and are basically wild because they don't take care of them at all. I rescued some of their chicks and one turned out to be a rooster. I couldn't let my rooster free range during the day because their rooster would fight with him. This week their pitbull killed their rooster, so they sent me a message to say I can let my rooster out now because the dog killed theirs!!

That's neighborly(with thick sarcasm)
Yipes sounds like they need to get their dog under control and work on training

lj

Unless your yard is 100% dog proof, I think I'd keep them locked up...

X2

The "once a dog tastes chicken it will always want to kill them" is an old wives' tale. There are people who raw feed chicken to their dogs and the dogs don't go kill every chicken on the place. We feed our dog raw scraps when we butcher deer - my dog doesn't chase them down and kill them. It's more of a case of, once a dog finds out how much fun it is to chase and catch the self-propelled squeaky toys, they want to do it again and will continue to do so until they get trained out of it, or their people figure out that they need to keep dog separated from the chickens. 

Oh yes cats also love self propelled toys. That's why they play with mice.

Interestingly I had an ex who had a Newfie cross that hunted and caught deer a number of times usually young ones. He also killed coyotes and took on 6 at once one time. He was an awesome dog! Only thing I miss about that relationship. Lol unfortunately Tippy(the dog) had belonged to his grandparents but when his grandpa died and his grandma BC bedridden no one knew for days. Then grandma went to the hospital and no one thought to feed the dog(ie none of the children until that ex did) the dog had almost starved but thankfully was a pretty good hunter when he needed to be. Unfortunately he had killed the barn cats to survive. Anyway Tippy was an amazing dog super loyal and my best buddy. Also when not starving he was gentle with cats. He hunted deer though afterwards. We never really figured out what to do about that if the DNR asked BC we didn't think they would believe us.

I don't think dogs really make the connection between the raw meat and the actual animal though.. unless you give them a whole bird haha

Okay ew ew ew on not such a huge deal but ouch! Guessing that wasn't one of his finer moments.
Lol makes me think of last summer. My Mom found out that those callous removing things they use for pedicures are basically razors. Okay no problem right? So she goes out and buys a package of disposable razors thinking she can take callouses off herself. I tell he I don't think it's a good idea.

Two days later Mom comes over with both her big toes bandaged. When asked about it she tells me she just went a little too deep. Her toes looked like hamburger! What's worse she tried it once more after they healed. That time only one toe was bandaged.

Normally my mother is a very intelligent woman. That was one instance that I wondered. Lol I bought her a pumice.

To my knowledge she's given up for now.
Incidentally it also bleeps out ticked, tick-ed.

That's neighborly(with thick sarcasm)
Yipes sounds like they need to get their dog under control and work on training
X2
Oh yes cats also love self propelled toys. That's why they play with mice.

Interestingly I had an ex who had a Newfie cross that hunted and caught deer a number of times usually young ones. He also killed coyotes and took on 6 at once one time. He was an awesome dog! Only thing I miss about that relationship. Lol unfortunately Tippy(the dog) had belonged to his grandparents but when his grandpa died and his grandma BC bedridden no one knew for days. Then grandma went to the hospital and no one thought to feed the dog(ie none of the children until that ex did) the dog had almost starved but thankfully was a pretty good hunter when he needed to be. Unfortunately he had killed the barn cats to survive. Anyway Tippy was an amazing dog super loyal and my best buddy. Also when not starving he was gentle with cats. He hunted deer though afterwards. We never really figured out what to do about that if the DNR asked BC we didn't think they would believe us.

Oh wow that's amazing!

Agreed!!
thumbsup.gif
My dogs get raw deer and even whole road killed deer to eat on and they don't chase deer...Jake barely even notices when one walks within 5 yds of him and Ben will let them come into the yard, waiting until they get really close, then bound across the grass at them with a "WOOF!", then stop and watch them run away. The deer have caught on to that and now they hardly bother to run.
roll.png
The other day there were two of them bedded down within 10 yds of my coop and barely even bothered to walk away when I went to feed...the dogs barely even watched them walk away.

Same with the chicken...I can throw my dogs whole chickens, whole carcasses of freshly killed chicken, chicken entrails, heads and feet, etc. but they wouldn't dream of harming any of the chickens in their care, ranging all around them.

The thrill is the chase, not the eating. Most dogs that kill chickens don't even bother to eat them, they just like chasing them down and killing them.

My sister bought a dried turkey foot as a dog treat (this was probably 4 months ago, but the dog/chicken talk made me think of it again), and my big rooster had just molted all of his tail feathers. I went to close my chickens in (in the dark, with my phone light) to find that there was a bird foot and a pile of feathers. I lost it, and my chickens must have figured that I was outside and started squawking like they were being attacked. My sister, who had "coincidentally" walked with me to the coop started to call the dog over, encouraging him to get the foot. I was screaming and crying my head off, thinking through who must've been eaten, and that my sister was touching and feeding my dog the foot. She was laughing and eventually told me it was just a prank, but someday I will get my revenge.
tongue.png

My sister bought a dried turkey foot as a dog treat (this was probably 4 months ago, but the dog/chicken talk made me think of it again), and my big rooster had just molted all of his tail feathers. I went to close my chickens in (in the dark, with my phone light) to find that there was a bird foot and a pile of feathers. I lost it, and my chickens must have figured that I was outside and started squawking like they were being attacked. My sister, who had "coincidentally" walked with me to the coop started to call the dog over, encouraging him to get the foot. I was screaming and crying my head off, thinking through who must've been eaten, and that my sister was touching and feeding my dog the foot. She was laughing and eventually told me it was just a prank, but someday I will get my revenge.
tongue.png

horrible joke!
i would be livid!
LOL

Agreed!!  :thumbsup    My dogs get raw deer and even whole road killed deer to eat on and they don't chase deer...Jake barely even notices when one walks within 5 yds of him and Ben will let them come into the yard, waiting until they get really close, then bound across the grass at them with a "WOOF!", then stop and watch them run away.  The deer have caught on to that and now they hardly bother to run.  :rolleyes:    The other day there were two of them bedded down within 10 yds of my coop and barely even bothered to walk away when I went to feed...the dogs barely even watched them walk away. 

Same with the chicken...I can throw my dogs whole chickens, whole carcasses of freshly killed chicken, chicken entrails, heads and feet, etc. but they wouldn't dream of harming any of the chickens in their care, ranging all around them. 

The thrill is the chase, not the eating.  Most dogs that kill chickens don't even bother to eat them, they just like chasing them down and killing them. 

I just had to get rid of a dog recently because it killed some of my chickens. She was a smart dog, and didnt just kill the chickens. She caught them, killed them, HID them overnight (I thought coyotes did it) then dragged them out the next day to eat them. I think she hid them in her doghouse, it was the only place I did not look. I had to send her back to the shelter. Luckily, she did not teach our older dog to catch chickens. We had her for 9 months. She's a strange dog, very suspicious of new people, even after she seems to already accept them, she might still growl. She's still waiting to be adopted.

Back
Top Bottom