Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

I just had to get rid of a dog recently because it killed some of my chickens. She was a smart dog, and didnt just kill the chickens. She caught them, killed them, HID them overnight (I thought coyotes did it) then dragged them out the next day to eat them. I think she hid them in her doghouse, it was the only place I did not look. I had to send her back to the shelter. Luckily, she did not teach our older dog to catch chickens. We had her for 9 months. She's a strange dog, very suspicious of new people, even after she seems to already accept them, she might still growl. She's still waiting to be adopted.

poor chickens and poor doggy...she probably had a "ruff" life before you adopted her.

I just had to get rid of a dog recently because it killed some of my chickens. She was a smart dog, and didnt just kill the chickens. She caught them, killed them, HID them overnight (I thought coyotes did it) then dragged them out the next day to eat them. I think she hid them in her doghouse, it was the only place I did not look. I had to send her back to the shelter. Luckily, she did not teach our older dog to catch chickens. We had her for 9 months. She's a strange dog, very suspicious of new people, even after she seems to already accept them, she might still growl. She's still waiting to be adopted.

poor chickens and poor doggy...she probably had a "ruff" life before you adopted her.

Yeah, i think she was from a drughouse, unfriendly to strangers and she ate anything in sight (which explains the chickens). She needs to be adopted by an old lady who lives alone in the woods and needs a guard dog. She's very loyal to whoever she considers part of her "pack".

sad.png
She just didn't know that her new sister's weren't food.
It's not really her fault..especially since you don't know where she came from/how she lived.

It's very easy to train puppies to be nice to chickens.
Can be a little harder but still do able for an adult dog.
IME

:( She just didn't know that her new sister's weren't food.
It's not really her fault..especially since you don't know where she came from/how she lived.

It's very easy to train puppies to be nice to chickens.
Can be a little harder but still do able for an adult dog.
IME

Oh, i know it wasnt her fault, i was sad to see her go, but I'm not home all day that i can watch her and correct her behavior. Don't worry, she didn't go to a kill shelter, she's actually in prison! A program for offenders to learn to train dogs. She won't be put down unless she attacks a person. I hope she gets adopted soon, just by someone with no chickens our other dogs (she was resource guarding the food from my other dog, too).

Oh, i know it wasnt her fault, i was sad to see her go, but I'm not home all day that i can watch her and correct her behavior. Don't worry, she didn't go to a kill shelter, she's actually in prison! A program for offenders to learn to train dogs. She won't be put down unless she attacks a person. I hope she gets adopted soon, just by someone with no chickens our other dogs (she was resource guarding the food from my other dog, too).

That is great!
i have watched a few documentaries about dogs in prison programs...i think its good for all parties involved.

My mom just adopted a Rez dog. Poor girl was mangy and half starved. Mom does spay neuter clinics around eastern and central Montana, and this little red heeler cross just loved mom, and mom's other dog had passed away in August last year. This poor thing was almost feral, but immediately attached to her as soon as the dog realized she was being adopted. Mom named her Peach.

My mom just adopted a Rez dog. Poor girl was mangy and half starved. Mom does spay neuter clinics around eastern and central Montana, and this little red heeler cross just loved mom, and mom's other dog had passed away in August last year. This poor thing was almost feral, but immediately attached to her as soon as the dog realized she was being adopted. Mom named her Peach.

In my next life I will rescue dogs.

The "once a dog tastes chicken it will always want to kill them" is an old wives' tale. There are people who raw feed chicken to their dogs and the dogs don't go kill every chicken on the place. We feed our dog raw scraps when we butcher deer - my dog doesn't chase them down and kill them. It's more of a case of, once a dog finds out how much fun it is to chase and catch the self-propelled squeaky toys, they want to do it again and will continue to do so until they get trained out of it, or their people figure out that they need to keep dog separated from the chickens. 

I actually agree with you, that's exactly what I'm afraid of. The dog grew up with the chickens and has never killed any before, but he is locked in a small yard 7 days a week because his owners are never home, and he is not trained at all. It was just a matter of time before he snapped. We're actually a few cottages on one farm, and the gardener used to let him out from time to time, but he's just gotten too rough. I feel terrible for the dog too.

I actually agree with you, that's exactly what I'm afraid of. The dog grew up with the chickens and has never killed any before, but he is locked in a small yard 7 days a week because his owners are never home, and he is not trained at all. It was just a matter of time before he snapped. We're actually a few cottages on one farm, and the gardener used to let him out from time to time, but he's just gotten too rough. I feel terrible for the dog too.

Think they'd let you walk him of an evening? Would be a good time to give him some training on chickens and also do a nice thing for him. Could benefit you both!

Back
Top Bottom