Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

Oh, i know it wasnt her fault, i was sad to see her go, but I'm not home all day that i can watch her and correct her behavior. Don't worry, she didn't go to a kill shelter, she's actually in prison! A program for offenders to learn to train dogs. She won't be put down unless she attacks a person. I hope she gets adopted soon, just by someone with no chickens our other dogs (she was resource guarding the food from my other dog, too).

Glad to hear she's in that kind of a program otherwise her odds would have not been very good. Unfortunately animals that have been taken out of shelters and then returned no matter the circumstances are usually the first ones put down so I'm glad to hear she's in that kind of a program. I think those are great programs

That is great!
i have watched a few documentaries about dogs in prison programs...i think its good for all parties involved.

X2

My mom just adopted a Rez dog. Poor girl was mangy and half starved. Mom does spay neuter clinics around eastern and central Montana, and this little red heeler cross just loved mom, and mom's other dog had passed away in August last year. This poor thing was almost feral, but immediately attached to her as soon as the dog realized she was being adopted. Mom named her Peach.

I love this!! They totally know when you save them and appreciate it forever.

In my next life I will rescue dogs.

Why wait for your next life. You can always start now. After all each one rescued is just a drop in the bucket but to that one dog it means everything!

I actually agree with you, that's exactly what I'm afraid of. The dog grew up with the chickens and has never killed any before, but he is locked in a small yard 7 days a week because his owners are never home, and he is not trained at all. It was just a matter of time before he snapped. We're actually a few cottages on one farm, and the gardener used to let him out from time to time, but he's just gotten too rough. I feel terrible for the dog too.

Poor baby sounds like he needs rescue and training. I'm also betting he's bored and becoming a bit neurotic and of course lonely. Ya know if he were in a different place he could be like a completely different dog even just the atmosphere the rules they set training exercise etc all that makes a huge difference.

Think they'd let you walk him of an evening?   Would be a good time to give him some training on  chickens and also do a nice thing for him.  Could benefit you both! 

Good idea! Getting rid of all of his pent up energy will do him a world of good. If you can lock your flock up safely and out of sight of him and your hard is bigger I recommend starting in there possibly trying to get him to play fetch. It give him a job and mental and physical stimulation. Then when he's a bit more tuckered out take him out on leash but don't let him drag you. I use Cesar Milan's techniques training soga and have great success! If you've never seen anything by him check it out he's also written some great books.

Also only after running and then walking would I suggest showing him your flock it will be a lot easier to control him and hopefully he'll be so tired that chasing them won't even sound like fun. Also if you can "leave it" is a great behavior to teach we teach all of our dogs it.

As long as the dog isn't people aggressive it doesn't hurt to try.

If I lived there and could I would work with him myself. I hope it works out don't give up. You don't have to show him your chickens right away. Better to develop a relationship with him first. Heck if you get him straightened out you may just find you want to ask them if you can adopt him. :)

I'd love to see a picture of him! Also please let us know what ends up happening if you do work with him on it.

Our dog was never exposed to chickens, and when I first got them he got a hold of one and killed it. He was more curious than anything...but we were right there and caught him in the act. We scolded him like he's never been scolded before, he's such a tender hearted dog (he's a stray that ended up at our place, we found the owner and they gave him to us.
smile.png
) he never even gets close to the chickens now unless he's with us. He pretty excited about me gathering eggs though...because he usually gets an egg or two.

Good idea! Getting rid of all of his pent up energy will do him a world of good. If you can lock your flock up safely and out of sight of him and your hard is bigger I recommend starting in there possibly trying to get him to play fetch. It give him a job and mental and physical stimulation. Then when he's a bit more tuckered out take him out on leash but don't let him drag you. I use Cesar Milan's techniques training soga and have great success! If you've never seen anything by him check it out he's also written some great books.

Also only after running and then walking would I suggest showing him your flock it will be a lot easier to control him and hopefully he'll be so tired that chasing them won't even sound like fun. Also if you can "leave it" is a great behavior to teach we teach all of our dogs it.

As long as the dog isn't people aggressive it doesn't hurt to try.

If I lived there and could I would work with him myself. I hope it works out don't give up. You don't have to show him your chickens right away. Better to develop a relationship with him first. Heck if you get him straightened out you may just find you want to ask them if you can adopt him.
smile.png

I'd love to see a picture of him! Also please let us know what ends up happening if you do work with him on it.

He's a pitbull, he's not aggressive and he's actually amazingly gentle with children, but he is a very powerful dog and he's bored out of his mind. When you try to open the gate to get to him he rushes straight past you to the other neighbors hous and tries to get at their male labrador. We've tried everything, we actually took care of him for two weeks while they were on holiday, but he's just too strong and ignores us completely. Even treats have no effect. I would really love to help him, but I'm afraid he needs a lot more care and training than I would be able to give him. We almost got a puppy for our daughter a while ago but decided to get a cat instead because with my health issues and my husbands hectic work schedule we realised we just can't give a dog all the attention it needs. But I'll see if I can at least do something for him and let you know how it goes. I can try and get a pic of him tomorrow.

The dog can't get out, but the chickens can get over the fence. And now that their dog has tasted chicken, they basically just invited my rooster over for a meal. I always keep my chickens locked up unless I'm outside with them. I'm home most of the time so they still get to range quite a bit.

Definitely not necessarily true. When I first got chickens the first two were killed by my own dog, a Labrador/Chesapeake cross. After some reprimanding and training, he hasn't touched another. Training is key. Just like a dog can be taught not to lift its leg on your furniture, it can be taught to overcome its prey drive.

My sister bought a dried turkey foot as a dog treat (this was probably 4 months ago, but the dog/chicken talk made me think of it again), and my big rooster had just molted all of his tail feathers. I went to close my chickens in (in the dark, with my phone light) to find that there was a bird foot and a pile of feathers. I lost it, and my chickens must have figured that I was outside and started squawking like they were being attacked. My sister, who had "coincidentally" walked with me to the coop started to call the dog over, encouraging him to get the foot. I was screaming and crying my head off, thinking through who must've been eaten, and that my sister was touching and feeding my dog the foot. She was laughing and eventually told me it was just a prank, but someday I will get my revenge.
tongue.png
lol that's horrible! It's funny to hear but I would be pretty upset!

He's a pitbull, he's not aggressive and he's actually amazingly gentle with children, but he is a very powerful dog and he's bored out of his mind. When you try to open the gate to get to him he rushes straight past you to the other neighbors hous and tries to get at their male labrador. We've tried everything, we actually took care of him for two weeks while they were on holiday, but he's just too strong and ignores us completely. Even treats have no effect. I would really love to help him, but I'm afraid he needs a lot more care and training than I would be able to give him. We almost got a puppy for our daughter a while ago but decided to get a cat instead because with my health issues and my husbands hectic work schedule we realised we just can't give a dog all the attention it needs. But I'll see if I can at least do something for him and let you know how it goes. I can try and get a pic of him tomorrow.

I think maybe he just needs a different kind of treat, something much higher value. Maybe some meat or something? Hotdogs? OR. It could be that he just isn't motivated by food. Some dogs are more motivated by praise or toys. See if perhaps he is more motivated by a favorite toy. As for his strength, it might be best to walk him with a harness so he doesn't choke himself and you have more control. I wouldn't get one of the no pull ones though as they can hurt their back/shoulders/muscles. Or perhaps even a choke collar. It's not my preferred method but might help you gain some control. Although that might be a bad idea because if he pulls (which he sounds like he would) then he'd probably choke himself which you don't want. I'd look into getting a good harness if you can. Maybe they'd pay for it

Quote:
No, definitely not necessarily true, but sometimes true, especially with these strays that you don't know the background of. When we brought "Lacey" home, she went after the chickens immediately. I corrected her, taught her leave it, and we had NO problems for a long time. Occasionally I would catch her stalking them, but she was corrected easily. But she was an outside dog, and my chickens are free range. They are left together ALL DAY while we are at work. When the new rooster we got turned into the dominant rooster and attacked the bigger, older BO we had (I was going to breed from him, too, ****, he was HUGE), Lacey finished him off and ate him. Two months later, she killed two chickens. That was it, I knew I did not have the time, and she might not have the ability, to train that out of her for good. It would have been a full time job.

In the dog program at the prison, they have a special treadmill that they put the more energetic dogs on. Works like a charm, an anxious, scared dog will become the friendliest dog ever after an hour on that! A hyper dog will be more controllable almost instantly. And a "bipolar" dog who does an hour of running on a treadmill each day will be calmer and more predictable to it's trainer. So it is very true that exercise is one of the most important things for a dog to have an abundance of.

Yeah, we are pet sitting my grandma's dog right now. She believes her dog is stupid, (even though he is incredibly smart) and doesn't bother training him. She used to have a cat, but kept it upstairs away from the dog, because she was sure the cat would get eaten. Funny thing is, when he got to my house, he went after the cat a few times, but after a bit of reprimanding, he stopped. The cat fell asleep ON him the other day.

Back
Top Bottom