Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

We were asked how you keep chickens from running away. We range ours on our acreage when we're here. The road I live on, 2-3 other families often have their chickens out too. Our neighbor was baffled that they don't just leave. Really not a stupid question, but it was kinda funny when they asked "how do you keep them home?"

When we first got our chickens my husband was convinced the first time we let them out of the coop they would all run away and be gone hahaha. He didn't believe me until we started letting them out to free range and SURPRISE they didn't go anywhere.
1f644.png
1f609.png
1f60a.png

When describing what I've fed my girls I got "I thought they ate just grains"
Also the general boredom they get from my cute chicken stories irritates me chickens are so cute and interesting!

Also "I never thought you would get into chickens"

Or the killer comment or general attitude when people think your cray-cray bc you like your chickens, oh its fine to like your pet dog or cat but chickens??!! (Puh-lease, chick's have the best personalities)

When we first got our chickens my husband was convinced the first time we let them out of the coop they would all run away and be gone hahaha. He didn't believe me until we started letting them out to free range and SURPRISE they didn't go anywhere.
1f644.png
1f609.png
1f60a.png
I get asked if they wander off all the time. People seriously underestimate how territorial chickens are.

We actually used to have chickens when I was a kid and they would go back to roost in the same place every night. And I assumed this was normal and my parents knew this, I mean, it was their chickens. But just the other day my dad came over and saw my chickens free ranging and asked 'How are you going to get them all back in (to the coop) tonight?' When I said they come back on their own at dusk he just looked at me like I was a complete idiot. Apparently I took better care of those chickens when I was a kid than I realised at the time.
Sorry if I'm repeating myself, I did post about it when it happened but it got lost in the middle of someone elses argument.

So I'm a taxidermist and one of the services I offer is skull cleaning (deer, moose etc) and boil off skulls every day in the fall....
Since few come in in the summer, I put them off till I have enough for a batch which sometimes leads to a population of maggots.
One day a lady who was a great customer in summer while cottaging, comes walking up my driveway with her kids and sees my hens having a party near the boiling area....where I'd dumped a giant pile of cooked bugs for them to enjoy! Boy did I turn red when she asked about the "rice" treat they were devouring.
Funny I haven't seen her for awhile......

I went for a mammogram yesterday and was talking to the doctor about chickens. He ask me if the rooster fertilizes the eggs after they are laid. It was all I could do not to let my mouth drop. Honestly I don't think I would feel comfortable if this man had to operate on me.

I went for a mammogram yesterday and was talking to the doctor about chickens. He ask me if the rooster fertilizes the eggs after they are laid.  It was all I could do not to let my mouth drop. Honestly I don't think I would feel comfortable if this man had to operate on me.

My cousin is a nurse practitioner and one of the smartest, most intelligent people I know. She wants to get chickens, and has asked me if they need a rooster to lay. How could someone who has a Master's degree and years and years of continuing education and training not know this? Simple - she grew up in a large city. She has had no experience with chickens. I live on a farm and am fairly comfortable with my knowledge and experience with chickens. But give me a goat, I wouldn't know the first thing about what to do with it. I've been an EMT for 30 years, would you not trust me to treat you in an emergency because I don't know goats?

Back
Top Bottom