Dumbest Things People Have Said About Your Chickens/Eggs/Meat - Part 2 : Chicken Boogaloo.

I don’t get why she has so many videos of the same topic. Even just from those links you guys shared, there were like 4 just on what chickens eat!! The same title/same thing too, not variations on the topic. So weird.

OK. So spoke with an East Coast relative today. They have never owned chickens, but they are older and when they were a child, the family did have a few geese in their yard, I've heard.

This older relative asked about our Polar Vortex weather...very cold, of course. So they asked how the chickens did with the cold. I explained they were in a draft free coop, but yes, it is very cold so keeping them out of the wind is important. So they were wondering if I could give the chickens blankets that they could snuggle into. Umm..no, chickens prefer to roost, and don't find warm things to snuggle into like a cat or dog. Nice thought, but no. They then asked if hanging blankets on the walls would keep them any warmer. Still No. Since the coop is already draft-free, hanging blankets won't change the temperature, as there is no wind in the coop. Anyway, it did make me laugh. This relative is not in any way an outdoor person (never has been), and a walk in the park or woods has always included a paved path. So, they would have never thought to have chickens and as such, has never really thought about anything to do with caring for chickens.

Its been down to -17 degrees F here in SE Michigan so they have been in it. My coop is pretty draft free and sheltered from the wind, so they have been fine other than they have been complaining about it being clucking cold. Most they have done is they have snuggled up a little closer to everyone on the roosts. Other than the one crazy broody hen who thinks now is the time to hatch some eggs. Kinda wish that the other hens would at least climb into her nest box and leave eggs with her at least, then I wouldn't have to worry so much about them freezing on me.

I was on youtube and it suggested Becky again and the video said 2 weird things that chickens do, which to her was molting and dust baths and as a LONG TIME cat and dog owner I was like I saw cats and dogs shed fur and take their equivalent of a dust bath all the time I had cats and dogs. (out of almost 44 years of life I have had one or the other and many times both all except roughly 2 years, for a year and a half after birth and the last 6 months). I was like I realize it may be odd to some but if you think about it for 2 minutes it happens in other animals and it just looks/acts different in other animals... I saw videos on the net of people showing their horses doing dust baths even... but here's the link..

I was on youtube and it suggested Becky again and the video said 2 weird things that chickens do, which to her was molting and dust baths and as a LONG TIME cat and dog owner I was like I saw cats and dogs shed fur and take their equivalent of a dust bath all the time I had cats and dogs. (out of almost 44 years of life I have had one or the other and many times both all except roughly 2 years, for a year and a half after birth and the last 6 months). I was like I realize it may be odd to some but if you think about it for 2 minutes it happens in other animals and it just looks/acts different in other animals... I saw videos on the net of people showing their horses doing dust baths even... but here's the link..
I Think she’s my new hero! NOT

OK. So spoke with an East Coast relative today. They have never owned chickens, but they are older and when they were a child, the family did have a few geese in their yard, I've heard.

This older relative asked about our Polar Vortex weather...very cold, of course. So they asked how the chickens did with the cold. I explained they were in a draft free coop, but yes, it is very cold so keeping them out of the wind is important. So they were wondering if I could give the chickens blankets that they could snuggle into. Umm..no, chickens prefer to roost, and don't find warm things to snuggle into like a cat or dog. Nice thought, but no. They then asked if hanging blankets on the walls would keep them any warmer. Still No. Since the coop is already draft-free, hanging blankets won't change the temperature, as there is no wind in the coop. Anyway, it did make me laugh. This relative is not in any way an outdoor person (never has been), and a walk in the park or woods has always included a paved path. So, they would have never thought to have chickens and as such, has never really thought about anything to do with caring for chickens.
Actually...my girls share a small coop so they butt heads often. During this polar vortex i found 3 sleeping huddled on the top roost, 3 sleeping huddled on the bottom roost and 2 snuggled up against a cinder block that had a flourescent light in it to produce heat. They did in fact snuggle:old

Actually...my girls share a small coop so they butt heads often. During this polar vortex i found 3 sleeping huddled on the top roost, 3 sleeping huddled on the bottom roost and 2 snuggled up against a cinder block that had a flourescent light in it to produce heat. They did in fact snuggle:old
Got down to about negative 19 around here. Pretty sure I would want to snuggle at those temps.

Becky had a new feed video come up on you tube suggested to me. DE= de-wormer to her and grit is the same as oyster shell also and you need oyster shell to help the chickens muscles to shoot the eggs out to keep them from being egg bound (apparently it's not to help the chickens form shells who knew but Becky?). Also it's good food that causes chickens to lay year round, not light!

Back
Top Bottom