First Egg Countdown

M-I Chicken, don't underestimate your EE's. Mine were the second to lay, right after one of my BA's, at 19.5 weeks of age. After a couple of weeks of sporadic laying, the EE's seem to be laying 5 or 6 days per week now. Very good layers! One lays a green egg, the other a light blue egg. You have some good layers and should soon be getting all the eggs you can eat!

M-I Chicken, don't underestimate your EE's. Mine were the second to lay, right after one of my BA's, at 19.5 weeks of age. After a couple of weeks of sporadic laying, the EE's seem to be laying 5 or 6 days per week now. Very good layers! One lays a green egg, the other a light blue egg. You have some good layers and should soon be getting all the eggs you can eat!

Good advice. My little EE is a real charterer. She has shown no squatting behavior yet - hence my guess she may be last to lay. The BA and BO squat every time I stop to say hi :) Still, I am open to a green, blue or pink egg anytime! This is my EE Rose.

Finally not sure what girl but a very very small egg!!!
Congrats!

Hello hAttiesmom...we introduced our little one gradually as happy chooks told us...at first we put them in a some pen like cage up against the coop run and contiued to bring them in to their brooder...after two weeks we cut holes in some chicken wire so only they could come and go when they wantes to be brave with the big girls...at this time we also put them in the big coop but put up the chicken wire up to keep the littles safe....we did that for two weeks and now they r doing really well....they still need a safe haven to run to but they can spend the whole night in the big coop without the separation
wink.png
....thanks again happy chooks the intergration went very smoothly!
Glad it went well!

So I had my first egg last Friday, and still no 2nd egg from that girl, but her sister just sung the egg song, went into the coop, and made herself a nest. SHe's laying in it right now! Come on egg!!
fl.gif

Also, I noticed how when my hens sing the egg song, my rooster loves to join in. He gets very worked up when singing the egg song. If this is the case when all 11 hens are laying, he's going to have a lot more excitement in his life!!!

With our girls the RIR was first, then the BR, and our Ameracauna still hasn't laid and her comb is more developed than what you have here.

Any expert advice on how close these ladies are? They were hatched May 5, so will be 16 weeks on Sunday. The 2 on the left (RIR and Plymouth Rock) have both pecked at the oyster shell, but they seem to just pick it up and then drop it. Idk if the others (EE and silkie bantam) have even touched it. I have not observed any squatting.

Sorry, my prior comment was a reply to this post!

Two of my red sex links have been laying. Brownie, the very dark one, lays a dark brown egg, and Blondie, a very light RSL, lays a nearly pink egg. I found another small egg today, but it had been laid in the "poop corner", an area all the hens seem to pollute, plus I was not sure how old it was, so i threw it away. It looked very different in shape from either of theirs, and they've both been laying in the nest boxes every day. So I think a third RSL has started and is laying in a terrible place. I assume that, like the others, she will watch and learn to lay in the nest boxes.

Also, I noticed how when my hens sing the egg song, my rooster loves to join in. He gets very worked up when singing the egg song. If this is the case when all 11 hens are laying, he's going to have a lot more excitement in his life!!!
Ok now! folks have really been confusing me about the egg song. I have always thought its the song that the hen sings after laying an egg and everyone seems to join her. But I have seen posts here where people think that the sound most hens make when they become of laying age and want to lay an egg as an "egg song" that is not true. I don't know what to call it but it is not the "egg song". At least thats what I think, you guys can correct me.
I am talking about the sometimes all day sound/song laying hens make. Its somewhat like "Kaw.Kaw,Kaw,Kawww, Kawww Ka, Kaww, Kaww" and its similar but different for every hen.
Any takers?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom