Frizzle thread

Pics
How old is it? I'd guess its a boy with that red comb and wattles.
It's less than 6 months. I'd guess around 4 months approximately. I am thinking so also, bc I have a frizzled polish hen and she carries herself horizontally while this one has a perky tail and stance. She's black skinned, and his one is white skinned, so I can't compare combs too well since her face is so dark. It's not crowed yet, but it's in a chicken tractor with my silkie roo and a frizzle hen so i dunno if that'd keep it from wanting to crow so much or what.
What is the going price range for frizzled roos? They aren't common at all in my area and many people haven't even seen them or heard of them before. I can't keep it if it is a boy. So I'm sure I won't have a problem selling it,

I would wait and see if it lays any eggs since you have not heard any crowing yet. It is not causing any problems yet so no harm in waiting.

Last edited:
Ok, this has been driving me crazy. I think of it constantly. I tried to settle down with "just wait and see" but I have a theory that 2 roosters and one hen may be why my silkie rooster isn't getting any "attentions" from my frizzle hen. Her and the other frizzle have been hanging out a lot, leaving my silkie as the appreciated "protector", but sexually frustrated 3rd wheel that has become intimate with the water bowl......
sickbyc.gif
This is just a theory mind-you. But it all just doesn't sit right.

Do your chicken senses ever get to tingling? Bc that's what mine have been doing about this whole male/female dilemma. So I went outside and tended to them, fresh water, moved the chook-tractor, etc...

Then I just sat down and watched. Brainstorming. And probably freaking out my subdivision's neighbors by sitting silently staring at a cage in the middle of the yard.....but after a observations, a few comparisons and a bunch of photos- I realized I had just what I needed right in front of me. I had never yet, taken both of my frizzles out at the same time, checked features and took photos. I can't believe I haven't, so deetadee of me lol. There are obvious differences between the two of them. Which has me almost completely certain it is a rooster. I will post comparison pictures here, so that it may help someone else trying to figure out the sex of their Polish Frizzles.

Chicken in Question (Rooster):
He's got a bald spot in the middle bc his adult head feathers are still filling in. His wattles have just grown more & turned red over the last 2 1/2 weeks. I'd guess he's bewteen 4-5 months old. Take note of the head feathers. They are long, thin, and "airy" (does that make sense?) in appearance.

Here's my hen. She's about 6-6.5 months old. Take note of the shape of her head feathers as well. They are wide, rounded, and full.

Even When they stand next to eachother, you can notice the difference of the feather shape over the entire body. I pick them up and tend to them daily, but I guess I never really had the chance yet to sit back and compare them. He's just now gotten most of his adult feathering in.

He's already being claimed for rehoming. I am having NPIP testing done Monday, and after that he will be going to his new home. It's too bad really. But I can't breed frizzle x frizzle. Sorry for the picture barrage. If it's too much, let me know and I'll downsize the images.

Back
Top Bottom