Funniest Things A City Slicker Has Ever Said To You?

Look at a (paper) map, it's all up getting there, you can coast back down. Everyone knows that!
wink.png

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I said that to a city slicker, that it took less gasoline to get downhill from Reno, and they proceeded to lecture me on the subject. I once got more than 40 mpg in a 1976 Corolla station wagon going from the Yakima Valley to the Willamette Valley. Just pick the right roads with the right slope.
smile.png

The woman who insisted that New York state had to have a larger geographic area than Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Nevada, etc. because it had more people.

Or the "environmentalist" who thought that we could safely more than double the US population without resource issues if we all became vegans since there were large parts of the country where hardly anyone lived, and the land was "wasted" on grazing instead of grain and row crops. (What part of "no water" didn't he understand?) He also suggested that to control erosion in some soils that we should simply drag the streams every year for the lost topsoil. He seemed more squeamish about eating meat than actually concerned about the environment.

My grandma's neighbors asked one of their 'city slicker' friends to feed and water their sheep while they were on vacation there was hay and straw in the barn the city slickers fed the sheep straw! When my grandma's neighbors got back from vacation all of the sheep were starving and there was a big pile of straw in the sheep pen! You would think the city slickers would notice that the sheep were not eating the straw!!!! It's common sense!

Common sense? How would they know unless they're told? Who knew the ins & outs of their livestock's diet before they had them?

Common sense? How would they know unless they're told? Who knew the ins & outs of their livestock's diet before they had them?

Agreed. I've had to explain to many non-farm friends the difference between hay and straw. I don't even try to get in to the different nutritional and fiber differences between different hay, or the difference between wheat and barley straw.
My SO took some time to get used to the different protein contents of different feeds for varying stages of my animals (why do you have the different poultry feed, they all look the same)

It was Spring and the neighbors had put a breeding harness (chalk-filled breast plate) on their rams to figure out who was breeding what when. They were shades of pink, blue and green. Some of our city friends came up and wanted to know if it was a local custom to dye the sheep for Easter.....

I don't know. I didn't save the article and now I wish I had. There was an article with a picture posted on AOL just before Easter. These sheep were in bright hues of green, blue, and other colors and the article said the sheepman did this every year for fun. I think it was a vegetable dye that washed out.

I don't know. I didn't save the article and now I wish I had. There was an article with a picture posted on AOL just before Easter. These sheep were in bright hues of green, blue, and other colors and the article said the sheepman did this every year for fun. I think it was a vegetable dye that washed out.
Tried Googling it and couldn't find anything referring to that specifically. Ah well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom