Fuzzy's Farm

Been using kent/blue seal. My birds seem to like it, and yeah, I pay more, but the birds seem healthier, on it.

I ended up adding a heat lamp to Strutters coop. His comb is messed up now, but not from frost bite. It's white, scaley, crusty. I think not only with the feet problems, which I am treating as if it were gout, and with molting... I am thinking that poor bugger may have dry pox. Gracious. He looks all jacked up, that's for sure.

Reason I dont' think it's frost bite... Well, Texas has this HUGE comb that flops over a bit (Which makes me think she's not a marans, but possible an orp/marans mix or an orp all together, she is the fatest butt chicken in the yard, stand completely different than marans standards, but she's lovely and I don't care one wit if she's not marans) and her comb is just fine. She has a HUGE comb.

The phoenix handled the cold fine. I did have a heat lamp in there for them though, because I was nervous. Their heat lamp was directly over their water. I did put it in the coop itself on the night when the temps dropped to negative digits, and we had the terrible winds. I don't regret that action either. I didn't want to move Gains to the garage with Mr. Ed and Red Devil. Those two boys get along, even with the other two roosters in there. Gains though, he's a terror on his rivals tails. And he's loud. Did I mention he is loud?

Well.. Off to cook some trout. Yum.

NOt sure if I posted it here but we bought a dozen RIR chicks like a week or two ago. Half of them lost most of their butt feathers and developed absesses and wounds. We decided today to watch them and isolate the trouble makers. Oddly enough the trouble makers were the 4 that did NOT have bald butts and wounds. I guess I should have figured as much. I really hope they grow out of this agression, if not I will be forced to send them to the chopping block. Hiya Nova! ALways nice to see your still around

Blukote them up. Provide two feeding stations for them.

Yes, still around. I work quite too much these days. LOL. BUT I am still around.

I got some hatchery isa's for dinner after only one marans egg hatched, and tell you what, those boys are the sweetest dang birds I have ever had. I have no idea how I am going to eat them... Fuzzy... likes cuddle butts...

Can't have no more, nova. Trying to downsize, remember??? If i'm to keep chickens at all i need a smaller coop with a predator proof run, so they aren't reliant on me to let them out in the summer.

I've had dry pox this summer, was my little maurice roo that i'm working with, and his sister that just died. Pox should be bumpy, if it's not bumpy there's something else that it could be; a bacterial infection i think. Careful, you can get impetigo from them if they have that! I'd put some antibiotic ointment on the comb regardless, and if he does turn out to have dry pox you do have to watch for secondary infections. I did put mine on duramycin for that bit, too. Spread by blood biters. Should look better in a month or less. :)

Hi DW and BYFM! Glad to see you guys again. Working waaaay too much here, too.

Imagine your whole flock able to do this...
D.gif

Morning ladies,

Well it poured down rain and wind yesterday and lastnight. The chicken run looks like a swamp. Poor chickens. In an hour or so I suppose I will let them out into the back lawn so they can mow the lawn and dry out a bit.

Hey everyone. Been a busy two days - so much for a life of leisure after retirement - ha. I've been building a stall in the barn to contain the bad goat during eating time. Yosi is a wether who thinks he can 'do it' and acts like he can, complete with bullying and chasing and ...other things. Chases everyone out of the barn except his favorites of the day. Geesh, it's like having teenage sons-lol.

How's weather in Michigan? I saw tonight you guys are getting another polar vortex. Bummer. You've had the worse winter.

Fuzzy, I never use purina. Too much bad stuff in their background plus all the GMO stuff they use. I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw a bag of 50lb feed. I use Big V which is a local mill. The girls don't really like it but I mix it with game bird feed which has BOSS and other seeds in it which they do love.
Wish we had access to a really good feed. I think Blue Seal is really good also like Nova uses but we can't get it down here.

Stay warm up there.

Not to bad yet, just cold and blowing.

Maurice lives yet, just had to spend lots of days of tlc and feedings. I need a girl for him, though. The booted bantam that i had with him for a few days to keep him moving just isn't a cuddly hen, even with her own kind. Kind of like a finicky cat? She likes attention when SHE likes attention, then it's a bite to get away. :p

Girls look better overall, still don't know what was going on but at the least i didn't want to take any chances!!! I'm not gonna lose my flock potentially to save $15 after all i've put in to them. :)

Back
Top Bottom