Fuzzy's Farm

hit.gif

I have been doing some reading on vitamin c, seems though birds produce their own and usually don't need it, but can benefit in hot or cold extremes.
I knew about the hot weather and usually toss in tomatoes from the garden. I didn't know about the cold though! So after some reading i found that a lot of dark leafy greens have C and calcium too, so i tossed in some baby spinach yesterday in preparation for today's cold snap. Today they didn't even hesitate when i tossed them, bee lined!

Also by default (i was a second too late to get the last bag of oyster shell) i am trying out the manna pro omega supplement. Girls don't seem to know what to think of the crumble, but are trying it out. I'm keeping it in a separate dish right now tossed in with the grit. When i get some oyster shell i want to put those in the same dish so they know what it's supposed to be! LOL. It's pricey at $12 a 5# bag, but says that it can be mixed in 50# of feed. If i can find some kent blue seal crumble for adult birds, i may.

When i get down to only 4-6 birds i'll probably just start making my own mix for them with the manna pro omega+calcium supplement, plus the showbird conditioning pellets, (they can be mixed 50/50 with scratch and scratch grains/ ground horse feed from the mill with the molasses.......Will be expensive but i really want pets and i'm so heart sick when i lose one. I've yet to keep one past 2 - 2 1/2 years, and according to the poultry health handbook they can live up to 15. :(

I have been doing some reading on vitamin c, seems though birds produce their own and usually don't need it, but can benefit in hot or cold extremes.
I knew about the hot weather and usually toss in tomatoes from the garden. I didn't know about the cold though! So after some reading i found that a lot of dark leafy greens have C and calcium too, so i tossed in some baby spinach yesterday in preparation for today's cold snap. Today they didn't even hesitate when i tossed them, bee lined!

Also by default (i was a second too late to get the last bag of oyster shell) i am trying out the manna pro omega supplement. Girls don't seem to know what to think of the crumble, but are trying it out. I'm keeping it in a separate dish right now tossed in with the grit. When i get some oyster shell i want to put those in the same dish so they know what it's supposed to be! LOL. It's pricey at $12 a 5# bag, but says that it can be mixed in 50# of feed. If i can find some kent blue seal crumble for adult birds, i may.

When i get down to only 4-6 birds i'll probably just start making my own mix for them with the manna pro omega+calcium supplement, plus the showbird conditioning pellets, (they can be mixed 50/50 with scratch and scratch grains/ ground horse feed from the mill with the molasses.......Will be expensive but i really want pets and i'm so heart sick when i lose one. I've yet to keep one past 2 - 2 1/2 years, and according to the poultry health handbook they can live up to 15. :(
What good ideas, Fuzzy. I'm a big proponent of Vit C. I use a mix of C/cod liver oil/probios and Vit E whenever Maggie the goat gets a UTI. It works wonders. I also use Manna Pro for the goats' minerals and it's really good stuff. I know what you mean about losing one. We are going on 2 years and so far I've only lost 2 to disease and 2 to predators out of 28 birds so I feel pretty good. I give them a mix of the game bird feed and egg/layer pellets plus any and all greens I have in the kitchen that's a bit old plus cabbages to play tetherball with - lol. I took Nova's idea of putting down leaves and letting them dig through them and they love it. Gives them something to do.

HI!! I am still kicking and screaming!

I have a house rooster... Yup. He doesn't crow anymore though. Mr. Ed has gone blind and silent. I am having a devil of a time force feeding him. He's got a bowl of feed and water at all times, but he won't eat or drink unless I put the water right to his beak, and the food... not interested at all. I have started to mash it to powder, and mix with the water, thin enough so he's drinking his feed. Egg yolk and force feeding him larger peices of food. Once I get it between his beak, he will eat it right down... Poor bugger. I think he's depressed...

Yes! Leaves... but you need to have a lot bagged up before winter so you can keep adding... I ran out of leaves already. Goign to have to get some hay that still has seed stuffs. I am going to do the cabbage heads. I have beams in the run to hang them from.

OH and there is a youtube video out there of a rooster that's like 15-16... something like th that. I think there are a few people here who have older birds up in the 8-9 year range. My oldest girl is going on 5. She's going to be 5 this spring. Then the next oldest is Fiametta. She was 18 months when I got her, and that was my first winter having them... so shes 4 how... Healthy crab apple of a girl. LOL Then the next oldest hens the fav girls.. Lori and Beulah. THey are going on 3 this spring.

Back
Top Bottom