GA - Contest for eggs - Celebrating post 1000 & BYC WINNER ANNOUNCED

I'm not posting for eggs but wanted to share my story. My DH and I gave my BIL 11 chickens for his Bday because since starting my flock alittle over a year ago he has fallen in love with chickens. I had a black silkie roo that he adored so I gave him to him. We went and set him up with a pen and housing the whole works.

Monday a coon got the only two silkie hens he had that were giving him eggs. So my DH went and fortified the run with double wire. Night before last a coon got his only feather footed hen (I hatched the egg from Siz8003). DH and I went and fortified some more and BIL went and bought a baby moniter. Last night coon came back but BIL wasn't able to get a shot at it. Tonight I have my son camped out there with his gun. I'm hoping and praying Mr. or Ms. Coon decides to come for another visit.

It's devastating for a new chicken owner to not get frustrated with chicken ownership when they start to lose chickens in this manner. I'm hoping he maintains and doesn't give it up because these chickens give him great pleasure. He is a member here but never posts, he just reads. So if you read this my BIL keep on because you know we'll get that coon and save your chickens no matter what it takes.

I would like to nominate Enola. When I first started hatching, she spent a lot of time explaining how to use the LG to me.

It was very kind.

Catherine

I wanted to let everyone know about a lady who is the kindest person that I have met. She has helped me with soooo much with getting me started successfully with my chicks.
She helps everyone!
First I know that she seen a message on here from sonmeone looking for eggs for her daughter's project. So chickencoop31320 sent her a dozen eggs for free and didn't even charge her for the shipping!

Next chickencoop31320 was helping an older not so well off lady in our area to get started on BYC by giving her a computer and teaching her how to use it. Plus she has given this woman chicks and even hatched some eggs in her bator for this woman. Again free of charge!

Then if that isn't enough she gave me 3 hens and 5 silkie babies this past week. She new that it had broken my heart when my chickens were all killed by a predator in April.

I would like for everyone to know how GREAT she is!

My first ever attempt at hatching was a total disaster, and I was really bummed out. We had spent a bunch of money on some shipped eggs off ebay. Only 2 hatched out, one of which died over night and the remaining chick was not even close to the breed standard. I asked for some help with new eggs, as cheap as possible and Rhewitt offered me 12 eggs (pure and mixed) and paid the shipping for me. Instead of the 12 I had expected, 18 eggs showed up at my door. It was a very kind and generous thing for him to do. I am very grateful to him.

I'd like to nominate Boyd (Sp?)- we butt heads a lot on the predator and pest area and really don't see eye to eye there at all. With that said he's done a whole bunch educating, encouraging, spending his time and energy, causing others to think about fostering, supporting others in regards to foster parenting and the process of foster parenting. So not only is he giving of himself to young folks he's multiplying it by helping others who are thinking of foster parenting as well. He's made a visable, real impact in the lives of an increasing number of BYC members. I say well done!! Keystonepaul

I would like to nominate flightsoffancy..... she lives near me and has been a total rock, support and assistance since I met her. I bought my first goat from her and she gave me all the advice, assistance and help I could need. She then lent me another goat to keep mine company and has since lent me a milk goat too.

She had a rough time with her flock coming down with a mystery ailment a couple months ago and she lost several chickens that were a huge part of her flock and that she had hatched and raised herself. She is now working hard to rebuild her chicken family.

When my ducks were slaughtered by a racoon last weekend, she hugged me when I cried, then gave me all the electrolytes and antibiotics I was going to need to keep the remaining ones alive - in addition to posting on here for me for advice.
My cat was taken ill this weekend and once again she was there for me.

Living with animals is rewarding and life-enriching, but sometimes it's tough too. With people like Kelly to stand by you and help and support, it's easier to work through the hard stuff and keep going.

Thanks, Kel.

Four days to go...Just wanted to check in. I've been reading and reading.I've received a few pm's asking if we are still selling and shipping eggs and then answer is yes. I just have not reposted our current list as all of them continue to be available. But back to the contest.

I appreciate your entries. I continue to be so touched by the angels of kindness on BYC....I know I've experienced a lot of help and kindness, but obviously it is well spred from so many. Don't hesitate to enter. I wish I had enough eggs for everyone and postage too. So hopefully,this can also be a way to share with others about caring unselfishly or thanks to others for how they helped you. Because the entries are so many and so touching. I'm going to print them out and get a committee to help me with the final.

God bless you all for all you do for others. (Yes I'm from the South - smile but I did type out "y'all)

Let's see here.... your instructions for this contest are:
In celebration of my 1000th post and in appreciation of the fun and fellowship and support of our poultry and veggie farm, hubby and I are sponsoring a contest.

1. Write down the kindest thing that you've ever done to help another BYC member.

2. Or write down how another BYC member has helped you.

3. Or Write what you would like to do to help BYC in the future.
--------------------------------------------------
OK, I will do # 2. Fellow BYC member .... ThreeHorses .... has helped so many people. She hangs out in the "Emergency" area, and answers calls for help and assistance. She is a true poultry educator and healer. How she has helped me?

I emailed her to thank her for many posts on BYC, as they are so educational and helpful to so many. I then asked her if it would be okay with her if I emailed her for advice and so forth. She sent me the nicest reply, and welcomed my ignorance.
idunno.gif

I am new to chickens, and told ThreeHorses (Nathalie Ross), about one of my little 9 week old Polish Crested chicks seemed to be smaller than the others, and had feather loss, and looked poorly for some reason. It did not appear that the others "picked" on her, but she was like the runt of the litter. Nathalie guided me through the necessary steps of checking out the obvious (not so obvious to a newbie), and more! Finally, she instructed me how to increase the chick's nutritional status, in hopes she would catch up with the others. Amazingly, in less than a week, this chick now has a new crest growing, new feathers, and has put on weight, etc.
clap.gif

Just needed a boost, and I could not see that myself.

ThreeHorses has helped me, and so many many more, with her kindness and intelligence. She is one of the many helpful BYC members, and is a favorite of mine. I love reading her posts.

Kathy
PS... I just got an incubator today, and would love to try it out with your eggs!
jumpy.gif

Nancy, I got a first egg from one of the CA White leghorns I hatched from your eggs.

IT LOOKS WONDERFUL AND SHE SEEMED SO PROUD OF IT!

THANK YOU FOR BEING SO WONDERFUL!!

Back
Top Bottom