Getting a puppy AKC registered?

Quote:
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
She's has some of the top lines in the US. I seen her buy a stud dog for $9,000. She puts out hunderds of quality puppies a year with top lines and has a state of the art kennel.

I'd love to see what her "state of the art" kennel looks like.

Personally I wouldn't buy from someone who "puts out hundreds of puppies a year" no matter what kind of "quality" those puppies are.

Quote:
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
She's has some of the top lines in the US. I seen her buy a stud dog for $9,000. She puts out hunderds of quality puppies a year with top lines and has a state of the art kennel.

I'd love to see what her "state of the art" kennel looks like.

Personally I wouldn't buy from someone who "puts out hundreds of puppies a year" no matter what kind of "quality" those puppies are.

She never said her friend puts out hundreds of puppies, she said that her friend has hundreds of breeding dogs...Idk how that is any better but I wanted to clarify.

Also --there's a lot of talk about "breeding rights" when it comes to your dogs registration. AKC does NOT, I repeat, DOES NOT, give or take breeding rights. That is at the discretion of the breeder, not the regirstry.

Ga Chicken Mom wrote: Finally the AKC is monitoring puppy mills and making stud dog owners submit DNA to have on file if testing is necessary.

What do you consider a puppy mill? AKC attends the Hunte Corporation conference and gives coupons, stuff and prizes away. I know this because I have attended it. Hunte buys puppies from buyers to sell to pet stores. Most of the breeders that go to this conference are commercial breeders and most use coated wire (which IMO is fine to use) to raise dogs and many raise hundreds of pups a year. And AKC supports this and so do I as long as they are giving food, water, shelter and medical in a clean environment.​

Quote:
They claim its there to chose which puppies are breeding quality but its really there so they can sell the breeding rights over the top of selling the puppies.

"They" are the breeders, not AKC. AKC never chooses limited registration or says what dog can breed or if a particular dog is of breeding quallity. It is up to the dogs owner to do so.

Quote:
What do you consider a puppy mill? AKC attends the Hunte Corporation conference and gives coupons, stuff and prizes away. I know this because I have attended it. Hunte buys puppies from buyers to sell to pet stores. Most of the breeders that go to this conference are commercial breeders and most use coated wire (which IMO is fine to use) to raise dogs and many raise hundreds of pups a year. And AKC supports this and so do I as long as they are giving food, water, shelter and medical in a clean environment.

they are actally at these conferences begging commercial breeders to come back to them..people that dont believe it just need to go to one and they will see for themselves,,they are free to attend,at least all that I have been to,,and who knows,,a person might learn something usefull.I go to stuff like that all the time no matter what animal it is about,horses,cattle,dogs..A person can always learn.

Last edited:
No, not all breeders sell full registration dogs for extra money. My friend/breeder sells pet quality with limited registration. Show quality grump are sold at a higher price on full registration with her co-owning so she has control if and when the grump is bred and to what stud dog. She has been breeding Dobes for 40+ years and this is her life's work - to breed the perfect Dobe. Her dogs live in her house, the girls whelp in her master bathroom and she sleeps on the floor to be near the dam and puppies for at least 2 weeks. I think raising and breeding dogs in wire cages is the same, if not worse than the chicken factory farms. Just my opinion. If you want a pedigreed pup, research the breed, find a breeder who belongs to the national breed club, visit their home to meet the dam, see the puppies and older dogs and ask plenty of questions.

Last edited:
Quote:
I was so happy to see your post.

I've had multiple registrations on many dogs. Almost all of mine have been imported and I always stayed active in them if it was possible.

There are many registries in the US and not all are fly by nights and some are even working to build their numbers and events. The main problem is the amount of clubs that are available and the areas in which they are more common.

Over the past 7 years there have been many top people from AKC who have moved to the CKC (Continental Kennel Club) where they lack enough groups to be able to promote enough shows to grew rapidly, but thye are trying. I know many Rottie and CC owners who have gotten dual registartion in order to participate in their working trails. They have been trying to start with conformation for the past couple of years and their requirements for Championship titles will included being working and obedience titled.

What some people think are lower or less respectable registries (and yes there are many) are simple registries who have to fall under the shadow of the AKC and people thinking that AKC means higher quailty or even purebred animals. Many start with obedience of field trials in order to build numbers, which is exactly the way AKC was started. They were a Field Dog registry and since they are the oldest they are the largest.

Lots of people have bought AKC registered dogs that are either poor specimens or mixed, but will argue that they are AKC registered, so therefore purebred. A registry is just that. It's a place to pay money to register your dog and if large like AKC, possibly being able to show. Compared to the number of dogs registered and those shown that means a fraction of a percent. Most pet stores which in many areas have been forced to not sell puppies due to puppy milling or sick animals (I'm not saying all of them, but lots) would only offer AKC registration.

Those who breed, train and show and are in this to better the breed they are involved with are a whole other kind of animal than a lot of breeders. It's not the money. What money? The money you use to aquire, train, maintain, test, show.........and on and on.....It's like chickens. You have a few, you make nothing, but you love them. Sometimes you spend a fortune trying to improve a breed, but you never see large amounts of money. It's a hobby, it's addicting and it's exciting when you can go into a ring and show something that you've produced that excells. It's those ribbons and titles and knowing that you made a difference in the breed you love.

So when you talk of other registries......think poultry.........fairs, APA shows....what have you. Some feel one os better than the other.

OH and you can do a get a PAL registration on your dog without parent registration, but there are requirements. This is to participate in events other than conformation and your dog needs to be altered.

They also do registrations for designer dogs which they put the other registries down for, so there ya go.

BTW I have had many titled dogs in my life and I did start with AKC way back when I was 12. I own AKC dogs now, but they are not quality dogs, just pets and my CC is FCI registered. When the clubs all started changing titles I just stuck with this one. I haven't shown in a few years, mainly because I just can not afford it. I miss it, but I had more fun over 20 years showing in ADRK shows with my Rotties than any other shows through any other registry. And I spent the good part of 40 years in the ring.

The breeder, not the registry decides on the quality of the animal. I attended an AKC show in San Jose California one Valentine's Day weekend...hmm, do they still have that show? There was a Rottie B***h that was so homely and placed 1st! I wasn't showing that weekend, but watching a potential stud. We were all shocked. I made a comment that the dog looked houndy and was this woman blind. A few of the exhibitors filed complaints and thought the show was fixed. When they came back, they looked for me and laughed. The judge who was supposed to be there was sick and they broke in the judge from the hound group.

I'm not putting down any registry at all. I used to be a snob years ago and then started watching closely and realized I had been just that. A snob. If you are showing, find a registry that you feel is genuinely envolved with preserving the breeds and is working towards promoting. If you aren't showing or you don't have quality animals, there's no reason to breed and have the papers.

And if someone tells you a pedigree is unimportant, back off. That's your dogs whole history. It's genealogy and if there are titled dogs on it you can find out about the quality of those lines. Anyone who just breeds and doesn't know their lines is not working on improvement.

OK....................never post on this stuff in here and guess I'll bow out now.

JMHO folks

Had to add that if AKC was anything like German registries there would be breed wardens and would be much harder to breed inferior animals.

Last edited:
lorieMN Wrote: they are actally at these conferences begging commercial breeders to come back to them..people that dont believe it just need to go to one and they will see for themselves,,they are free to attend,at least all that I have been to,,and who knows,,a person might learn something usefull.I go to stuff like that all the time no matter what animal it is about,horses,cattle,dogs..I person can always learn.

Oooh I know AKC begs them. They actually throw deals and discounts at commercial breeders trying to get them to register their stock with them. Just so everyone knows I wasn't a commercial breeder but I was a AKC breeder not to long ago however I do support commercial breeders that are state and USDA licensed.​

Back
Top Bottom