Goat Toys! How To Make Toys That Are Perfect For Your Goats!

I was given a goat years ago that was played with that way and head butted too. Any physical corrections just encouraged it. I eventually started turning and walking away every time her tried it and eventually he stopped. So I would say don't engage with him if he does it.

I'm glad he survived. What happened to the dogs? Do you have to worry about their return? Do you know who owned them? I can't imagine such a scene.

I took it as she meant stop the habit of head butting and was curious if she had any suggestions as to how to stop it.
I have a goat that has gotten into that habit and yes it is dangerous and not a pleasant habit. He was never played with in any way to encourage it. He just became mature and started it.
The advice about shoving him away is in our situation very bad advice. Like the other poster said it encourages it. And yes any physical correction is game on to him.
We have also done the walking away and that has worked fairly well but there is still times he wants to butt. I was wondering if there was another method that worked that we hadnt tried.

I took it as she meant stop the habit of head butting and was curious if she had any suggestions as to how to stop it.
I have a goat that has gotten into that habit and yes it is dangerous and not a pleasant habit. He was never played with in any way to encourage it. He just became mature and started it.
The advice about shoving him away is in our situation very bad advice. Like the other poster said it encourages it. And yes any physical correction is game on to him.
We have also done the walking away and that has worked fairly well but there is still times he wants to butt. I was wondering if there was another method that worked that we hadnt tried.
Try keeping a spray bottle filled with water on your person. Spray him in the face when he tries to butt. Most goats hate being sprayed. At any rate it won't hurt him. You are right that shoving the goat is a bad idea. To him you are butting him back.

Try keeping a spray bottle filled with water on your person.  Spray him in the face when he tries to butt.  Most goats hate being sprayed.  At any rate it won't hurt him.  You are right that shoving the goat is a bad idea.  To him you are butting him back.

That is an idea.
Think im gonna find something with a little more kick to it then a spray bottle. Thinking a water blaster squirt gun.
Thanks

Don't know if this thread is still active after 5 years, but.... yeah!
In a month or so I'm getting 3 goats:
Grover: Super playful, loves climbing, running, butting, and people.
Hazel: Friendly, loves butting and being held.
Juniper: Timid, loves little spaces, running, and being held.

Back
Top Bottom