Green Egger Naked Neck Thread

Pics
I have so many green turken naked neck eggs that I'm practically giving them away now.  Let me know if you want some shipped from Washington.  

I may still do that, I'm just holding off on having eggs shipped, haven't had a lot of luck with them.

I really think it's the shipping that ruin them hatch rate is really bad on them. I'll keep you in mind though. Thanks.

Hello friends.

Can I get some quick opinions? We are new to chickens, we recently bought 3 Easter Egger hens and some eggs from a local flock. The little brown hen is infertile but we gathered other eggs from the other two and set them an incubator. They are just starting to hatch and we have 9 chicks so far and 6 of them have bald necks. We did not see a naked neck rooster can I have your opinions if these look like naked neck chicks. Maybe we just missed seeing the rooster.

I was concerned I may have done something wrong in incubation, bit some others have said that all is good, they are just naked necks.

Hello friends.

Can I get some quick opinions? We are new to chickens, we recently bought 3 Easter Egger hens and some eggs from a local flock. The little brown hen is infertile but we gathered other eggs from the other two and set them an incubator. They are just starting to hatch and we have 9 chicks so far and 6 of them have bald necks. We did not see a naked neck rooster can I have your opinions if these look like naked neck chicks. Maybe we just missed seeing the rooster.

I was concerned I may have done something wrong in incubation, bit some others have said that all is good, they are just naked necks.

You did nothing wrong.

Welcome to the Naked Neck world, specifically the Green Egger Naked Neck thread. Hopefully it won't be too long you'll have your own green egg laying pullets.

Thanks so much for the help!  Newbie here, lol.  Can ya'll point me to a good thread on sexing these birds?  :-D  

Thanks again!  New Naked Neck mama here, ;-)

Most all the threads there are folks who can usually answer that question. You'll have to get closer pictures if them and a head shot with the comb. I can usually tell at around three to four weeks if age, live ( as in my own) but sometimes I can also tell in pictures.

Last edited:
I picked up a dozen Green Egger Naked Neck hatching eggs at a auction on April 23, 2016. Setting them this coming Wednesday 5/5/2016. Fingers crossed for a good hatch with plenty of pullets.

Then yesterday I picked up 4 more green eggs from a Polish over a green Egger NN.

Getting ready to put into incubator Late this afternoon.

I have 4 Polish/ Naked Neck green eggs and another 12 Green Egger Naked Necks all from friends.
Then I have another 6 Green Egger NN eggs from my only green egg layer. Trying to build up the Green Egger NN's.

Last edited:
Posting this here for future reference:

Quote:

You would need to breed the offspring of the initial cross together before crossing back to the NN. You would want to select the F2 with the best peacombs and least neck feathering for crossing back into pure NN, if so desired. Heterozygous pea combs tend to be "wonky" as I would describe it and you can easily sort them out of the bunch.

Parent Cross:
NN Sire (Na/Na p/p) by Pea Comb Dam (na/na P/P)

F1 offspring:
100% Bowtied NN with wonky Pea Combs (Na/na P/p)

F2 offspring:
"Clean" NNs with proper Pea Combs (Na/Na P/P)
"Clean" NNs with wonky Pea Combs (Na/Na P/p)
"Clean" NNs with Single Combs (Na/Na p/p)
Bowtied NNs with proper Pea Combs (Na/na P/P)
Bowtied NNs with wonky Pea Combs (Na/na P/p)
Bowtied NNs with Single Combs (Na/na p/p)
Regular Feathered with proper Pea Combs (na/na P/P)
Regular Feathered with wonky Pea Combs (na/na P/p)
Regular Feathered with Single Combs (na/na p/p)

Last edited:
I picked up a dozen Green Egger Naked Neck hatching eggs at a auction on April 23, 2016. Setting them this coming Wednesday 5/5/2016. Fingers crossed for a good hatch with plenty of pullets.

Then yesterday I picked up 4 more green eggs from a Polish over a green Egger NN.

Getting ready to put into incubator Late this afternoon.

I have 4 Polish/ Naked Neck green eggs and another 12 Green Egger Naked Necks all from friends.
Then I have another 6 Green Egger NN eggs from my only green egg layer. Trying to build up the Green Egger NN's.

The dozen eggs I that I picked up at the auction weren't very good. Only 5 were fertile and from those only 1 has hatched. It wasn't even a Naked Neck chick. Well it came from agreed egg so I guess if it is a Pullet I can always use it to breed back to another NN rooster.

Here's a picture.

From the green eggs that I got, total of 3, from the Polish/NN cross I only had one to hatch. It wasn't a Naked Necked on either. But again from a green egg do I have hope ax for it.

Here's a picture if that one:

Then from the 6 fertile eggs from my green egg layer I got 2 to hatch. Both are Naked Necked ( Yeah). My luck though both will be cockerels. Anyway here's a picture of them.

So here's to hoping that Ivan get this project back on track.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom