Green Egger Naked Neck Thread

Pics
Got some pictures today.

I'm kind of facing a problem. I have only one hen that lays green/blue eggs. I saved some of her eggs and hatched them out on May 28th, so they are now 11 weeks old. I ultimately came out with one chick and as luck would have it it turned out to be a cockerel.

At the same time I purchased some hatching eggs from a friend, they were supposed to be from a Grern Egger NN line. The hens were Nn and the daddy was a NN rooster ( not a green Egger). So with this breeding all chicks should have turned out some form of NN. Anyway I was planning on taking any pullets from these eggs and putting them under the chick above and keep a cockerel and put over the NN green Egger hen. As my luck always turns out though only 1 chick hatched and it turned out to be s cockerel. On top of that he was fully feathered. I'm guessing someone mixed their eggs up.

So I'm thinking here's what I'll do take the NN green egger cockerel and put with mama, and take the fully feathered fellow ( he did come from a green egg) and put him with 2 or 3 of my best homozygous NN hens and hope that they are pullets that come out of that breeding will lagygreen eggs and be NN. Then most likely sell Mr. Fully feathers.

Anyway after all that I'll post the pictures. I have two shots each.

Last edited:
Today I set 9 green eggs. This project is still being put off for moe. I have decided however to use my green egg laying hen, breeding her to non-green Egger roosters and let the chips fall where they may. If I get more green Eggers fine and dandy. Just makes for a colorful egg basket.

I'll still be posting any new green Egger NN's I produce.

Congrats on the promotion!

I am impatiently waiting for my potential colored egger pullets to start laying.. also to help with culling out the tinted eggers, really wanting to reduce this year's crop down to smaller numbers.

Newly hatched pictures, hatched on the 23rd of this month.

Three chicks that hatched from green eggs. Sexes and green egg gene to be determined.

They are out of my lonely green egg laying NN hen I have left. Their daddy is my Cinnamon NN rooster ( cinnamon is basically a Colombian colored bird with light red leakage over the white of the Columbian color).

Two weeks old: these are the only three I got to hatch from my green egg layer.

To be determined if any are pullets and if any lay green eggs.

Last edited:
Well I guess I need to get some updated pictures pretty soon.

I've got thing s moved around and have taken the cockerel from the April 1, 2016 hatch (hatched from a green egg, hoping that he carries the gene for the green egg) and set him up in a run with 6 girls of his own. Two of those are his half sisters, then the rest are distant related hens.

Going to see what these mating will do for the Green Egger NN program.

This NN hen lays green eggs! Pretty happy about that, was worried it would just be her non-NN sister(behind her) laying them.
Do you have have any cockerels/roosters that came from green eggs? That would be so awesome to get them going again.

Do you have have any cockerels/roosters that came from green eggs?

That would be so awesome to get them going again.

Probably.. the problem was a rooster was bred with two hens in the same pen, one was a brown egg layer and the other a single comb bluish/green layer. The rooster had dominant white on black which made the chicks come out barred or dominant white only. Which makes it hard to tell which chick belongs to which hen.

I just wait until the pullets start laying and never depend on a cockerel/rooster from the blue egger NN line to carry the gene.

I've already culled down to three cockerels from this big NN project... one is huge but I suspect he is from the brown egger hen he is way bigger and kinda looks different from the other two I suspect are from the blue egger hen- she is partridge and those two boys have some red on their wings. Brown egger hen was a solid blue and the third rooster has no red... but this is still at most a reasonable guess.

But yes, I do want to continue and increase the blue/green eggs in this line for sure.

I have saved every chick that I have hatched from my one and only green egg laying Naked Neck hen.

I don't think she is capable of producing a female chick. This last hatch of September 22. I hatched three chicks out if I think it was seven eggs. Two weeks ago I culled one of them because it was a definite make.

Today I went to get the other two, what I thought were pullets, look I think it is two more cockerels.

I don't know if it had anything to do with the hens mother having spurs or not.

I will try one more time to see if I can't get at least one pullet from her. She's going on four years now. I think this coming May.

Back
Top Bottom