Green Egger Naked Neck Thread

Pics
First three are crowwing roosters.. the big feathers on the wing are solid color(black in these)

Next two are duckwings, the first is a red duckwing, second a silver duckwing. The wing feathers have two colors that combine to make the triangular patch on wing.

It can seem insignificant but genetically it can be extremely important for some genetics. Example one major difference between lacing on wyandottes vs sebrights is because the former are on crowwing and the latter is on birchen. You can never get laced tails on duckwings, only solid colors.... someone trying to get lacing onto wyandotte tails are going to be very frustrated if they don't introduce birchen(a crowwing) into them first...

The chick down is also very different, the hens are also even more different in appearance.

Yes. The hobby is seriously bad with names... multiple names for the exact same thing or single name applied to totally different things. For example, that very same color is called Black Copper in Marans.

The bottom line is crowwing means no duckwing patch. in genetics lingo, ER (birchen) and E(extended black) are the 'crowwings'.

Duckwings are e+("the" red duckwing, as in red junglefowl), eb(partridge/dark brown), and eWh(wheaten).

For example... a LOT of Brown Red with barring are called Crele. However Crele is properly barring over a clean red duckwing... so you can tell a barred Brown Red is not really a Crele because it does not have the duckwing patch.

Back to your rooster, that is why I didn't think he was a Birchen because he has the duckwing patch. Birchens are always crowwinged..

Yes.  The hobby is seriously bad with names...  multiple names for the exact same thing or single name applied to totally different things.   For example, that very same color is called Black Copper in Marans.

The bottom line is crowwing means no duckwing patch. in genetics lingo, ER (birchen) and E(extended black) are the 'crowwings'.

Duckwings are e+("the" red duckwing, as in red junglefowl), eb(partridge/dark brown), and eWh(wheaten).

For example...  a LOT of Brown Red with barring are called Crele.    However Crele is properly barring over a clean red duckwing...  so you can tell a barred Brown Red is not really a Crele because it does not have the duckwing patch.

Back to your rooster, that is why I didn't think he was a Birchen because he has the duckwing patch.  Birchens are always crowwinged..

So another question:
Is the yellowish color a cram or more of a straw color? On my rooster?

Last edited:
I'm colorblind so I couldn't tell you the difference between cream or straw. :(

I do notice he has a light color.. could be side effect of blue- I don't know why the red/browns are lighter on some blues but not on others. I have a rooster here right now that show a similar thing, he is blue and has this lighter color on body thing going on. None of his non-blue offspring have this lighter shade of color and yet again, some of the blues are normal colored otherwise his remaining son has it too. I tried to take pictures of him several times but apparently the camera is very confused by his colors and ends up putting a strange effect over his feathers so I gave up and never posted them online.

Here's a picture... I think he has a similar effect going on as your rooster- on a totally different pattern though. I wonder if being silver also helps with the unusual color effect..

This picture was simply cropped and resized.. no other alternation, the weird effect is all from the camera having trouble with his colors:

Last edited:
Here's a picture... I think he has a similar effect going on as your rooster- on a totally different pattern though. I wonder if being silver also helps with the unusual color effect.. This picture was simply cropped and resized.. no other alternation, the weird effect is all from the camera having trouble with his colors:
Very pretty.

Still waiting for my only green egg layer to start up again.

I've got her in a run with my avatar rooster. Hoping for some more green Eggers.

Back
Top Bottom