Guess I'm done breeding chickens... got a letter from the city

Quote:
If a neighbor doesn't sign, at least you'll know 100% which neighbor made the complaint.

I think it's pretty pathetic that you have to get permission from your neighbors to keep animals IN YOUR OWN HOME. That's worse than having a landlord.

BTW, did any of the neighbors have to get permission to keep their barking dogs? Turnabout is fair play.

x2

x3 so now lets talk about getting ducks
smile.png
gig.gif

Hope the neighbors like your offering and you at least get to keep some hens
wink.png

The problem is that poultry and rodents cannot legally be kept within 8 feet of a residence or within 80 foot of a neighboring residence without written permission of those residents. And given that most lots in the city of Phoenix are only about 40 foot wide by 80 or 120 foot deep, this pretty much means "No Chickens Allowed."

It is not just those neighbors on the sides, but those within a 80 foot radius. This means that just about anybody with the gall to drop a dime in a telephone can complain. And yes, in Phoenix there are a lot of people ready, willing and very anxious to cause other people grief.

Worse, the City of Phoenix has these people wheeling around in little pickup trucks looking for things like cars parked on unpaved areas, weeds growing in yards, trees with limbs growing over the back wall and junky automobiles.

The city cannot shut down the drug houses or the houses of ill repute, but they can cite me for letting my trees grow over the wall. The city inspectors don't know weeds from squash.

Living in the city is a real pain in the posterior.

Rufus

To add to Speckledhen's comment, "Dogs bark most of the night sometimes, whereas chickens rarely make any noise at all during the dark hours...", and chickens also aren't "walked" to poop on their neighbors' yards or run around in other yards killing "dogs" or chasing other family pets. So not fair, Mahonri.

Sorry to hear about all of this.
sad.png
I will miss your yearly hatches. But I think you should get some fertile eggs anyway and still have the hatches and you could rehome the chicks.
big_smile.png
I am sending really good vibes your way and hoping that the neighbors agree to let you keep your hens.
fl.gif
Even though I hate the fact that your neighbors determine your fate on your own property. Really stupid law!!!

Its a crazy world we live in. Now the city folks want to move to the country & turn the country into the city. Go figure that one out. I grew up in the City & we raised every thing we had a turtle farm, wild rabbits, even had some crows. The good ol days. If we had only taken the indians advice we would all be living in harmony. JMO.

Back
Top Bottom