Hands on hatching and help

Hi one of my duck eggs made a crack on the wrong side of the egg but it hasnt made a pip noise or anything, im worried, any advice would be helpful

I was candling my shipped speckled Sussex eggs and almost tossed a strange one that looked like a goner. A final second glance revealed the air sac has shifted to the side of the egg. Otherwise the chick and veins look fine. They are due to hatch next Friday. Have any of your dealt with a side air sac before? I assume one major issue is it won't be able to position properly to deal with this air sac placement.

I have 3 egg's in my bator that are on day 25. I did the water candling and they all wiggled. Should i poke a hole in the air sac or give it more time? I have read on here of egg's hatching as late as 28 day's. advice?

Hi one of my duck eggs made a crack on the wrong side of the egg but it hasnt made a pip noise or anything, im worried, any advice would be helpful
Hi! Sometimes the first sign of a pip is a crack. When you say wrong side, do you mean bottom? Or upright but away from the air cell? Ducks from what our experienced people on here say, can take extremely long to hatch. The recommendation is to give them 48 hours.

I was candling my shipped speckled Sussex eggs and almost tossed a strange one that looked like a goner. A final second glance revealed the air sac has shifted to the side of the egg. Otherwise the chick and veins look fine. They are due to hatch next Friday. Have any of your dealt with a side air sac before? I assume one major issue is it won't be able to position properly to deal with this air sac placement.

Have never had to deal with that.

I have 3 egg's in my bator that are on day 25. I did the water candling and they all wiggled. Should i poke a hole in the air sac or give it more time? I have read on here of egg's hatching as late as 28 day's. advice?
welcome-byc.gif
The farther you get from day 21 the higher probability that the chicks will have developmental issues. 25 days for completely healthy chicks is not the norm and 28 days is a miracle. When you say you did the float test. Did each individual egg float AND wiggle all by itself or did it just float?

Hi! Sometimes the first sign of a pip is a crack. When you say wrong side, do you mean bottom? Or upright but away from the air cell?  Ducks from what our experienced people on here say, can take extremely long to hatch. The recommendation is to give them 48 hours.

Have never had to deal with that.

:welcome   The farther you get from day 21 the higher probability that the chicks will have developmental issues. 25 days for completely healthy chicks is not the norm and 28 days is a miracle.  When you say you did the float test. Did each individual egg float AND wiggle all by itself or did it just float?
They all floated and wiggled

we have 2 weeks old swedish ducklings that are broody hatched and a couple outta the errant indian runne rwho was sold , one got an external pip and knew it was mal positioned, next time will just help, we were able to save the one that we saw the pip but not the other that we decided to wait and see if it hatched, was also mal posiitioned we just couldn't see inside the egg to tell but the rest had hatched the day before. It was the ones that the indian runner got hold od the blue swedish hens that were all mal positioned.

These are my friends ducks by the way

I breastfed each one of mine, still nursing the 20 month old. Each one is so different. My first was constantly sick. I mean he'd get a high fever and an ear infection every 3 weeks. Then he developed allergies. He was allergic to penicillin and anyone related to it. Covered in eczema, heat to toe. Just a really, really sensitive baby. When I had my second one I figured he'd be sick a lot too and he literally never got sick as a baby. Not even once. And he's got this thing about having to put everything in his mouth, even to this day. When he was little, I'd be loading the groceries on the belt to checkout and he'd lean over from the shopping cart and be licking the grocery belt as it was moving! He'd lick the railings on escalators and public stairs! I don't know how he didn't get sick with ingesting all those germs! My third one is a mix. He's gotten pretty sick here and there but with good breaks in between.
Awww. So sorry. At least it went naturally. :hugs
You should talk to my mom. My younger brother is adhd and dyslexic. The school was not following his iep and my step dad actually sued the school district and won! They had to pay for my brother to go to a private school that specializes in learning issues and disabilities. When he was in public school he kept getting pushed through to the next grade. By 5th grade he only had a 2nd grade reading level. He did so good in the private school! In 2 years he was reading at his grade level. He was like a different kid! You've got rights and the law on your side. There are some support groups that can help you talk to the school and make sure they are following protocol.

Yes here we have advocates that can help. I've been considering talking to one to get some help knowing what my rights are. I've had discussions with the principal telling him I don't feel like the disipline methods they are using are effective with my son. I'm open to other options or suggestions that work for them but he wont even work with me. It's so frustrating..

If they don't follow his IEP, you can nail their hides to a wall!!!  I am more than willing to talk homeschool anytime you want. :)

Adorable.

My son never had oral issues with having to chew or put things in his mouth. Even at the crawling stage he wouldn't find things to put in his mouth. Always amazed me. Then over the last year, he started chewing on his toys having to have something in his mouth when he's on the PC. I've thought purchasing a oral toy for him from one of the Autism sites!!  He's had quite a few autistic traits, late speech, anti social behavior (until about 3 1/2) sound and touch sensativities, and when he was younger, the meltdowns that came with the anti social episodes....omg if a stranger talked to him, he flipped out.  He still has sound sensativity- not as bad. Touch sensativity, very little. Now you can't get him to stop talking to anyone and everyone he sees, he's my social butterfly....lol  He processes learning differently, I just haven't figured out how...lol Watching him working a problem to figure it out is like a mystery...

I said if I ever put him back in school I would have him evaluated first and see about an IEP possibility. 

I really believe ieps can be your best friend. My issue is devlin has behavioral problems with these issues which is really common. I've had him in counseling for years now with no improvement. My husband and I are pretty overwhelmed right now. On one hand I love him unconditionally, on the other hand his attitude is beyond me and I don't even know how to respond anymore. Nothing seems to work and the counselors are not that helpful. I even volunteerily took a parenting class hoping it would help with these problems we are having but it was really obvious stuff. More for like negligent parents. I know not to leave my baby unattended etc... :(

You're absolutely right in what you say - couldn't have said it better myself! I helped two chicks when their mum abandoned the eggs to concentrate on a chick that had hatched 4 days previously. The eggs and chicks had gone cold, not even pipped, but were chirping away. The membrane had got really dry and thick and they had no egg tooth, so would have died. They were both fine after a few hours of sleep and warmth and grew to be beautiful healthy chickens.

I couldn't stand by and let something die if I could do anything to help. I think the 'hands off, let nature take its course' attitude is right - up to a point, but as you say, if many animals and humans weren't given the assistance they need during difficult births then there would be so many needless deaths! What's the difference with helping a chick out of an egg?

They all floated and wiggled

These are chicken eggs and not duck eggs? And are you sure of the date? Day 1 doesn't start until 24 hours after set. I count the first 24 hours as day zero, just to keep it straight in my head. But if your temps are low, they can hatch late, but as Amy said, developmental issues can happen because of it. So just be aware and prepared. But obviously if they are still alive in there, I dont think anyone would say to toss them without trying! Good luck.

If they don't follow his IEP, you can nail their hides to a wall!!!  I am more than willing to talk homeschool anytime you want. :)

Adorable.

My son never had oral issues with having to chew or put things in his mouth. Even at the crawling stage he wouldn't find things to put in his mouth. Always amazed me. Then over the last year, he started chewing on his toys having to have something in his mouth when he's on the PC. I've thought purchasing a oral toy for him from one of the Autism sites!!  He's had quite a few autistic traits, late speech, anti social behavior (until about 3 1/2) sound and touch sensativities, and when he was younger, the meltdowns that came with the anti social episodes....omg if a stranger talked to him, he flipped out.  He still has sound sensativity- not as bad. Touch sensativity, very little. Now you can't get him to stop talking to anyone and everyone he sees, he's my social butterfly....lol  He processes learning differently, I just haven't figured out how...lol Watching him working a problem to figure it out is like a mystery...

I said if I ever put him back in school I would have him evaluated first and see about an IEP possibility. 

That's a great idea about the toys! I never thought of that! He has to have something in his mouth, especially when on the computer or an electronic device. He chews up all the collars on his shirts, he'll chew on paper, plastic, anything. I brought him to his doctor for it and she ran a test for a genetic disease called MTHFR and it actually came back positive, with a gene from me and his dad. It can lead to low weight gain, delayed speech, behavioral problems. We started the supplements for it and he put on 10lbs. He hadn't gained weight, only height in a year. So it's helping but not with the chewing. I'm totally ordering one of those toys because he always gets in trouble for the chewing.

I had one like that but it didn't develop. I would keep an eye on that egg. Especially in lockdown. I would candle 2 x day to look for an internal pip into the air cell. The chick may need assistance if it makes it that far.

The only way putting a safety hole into the air sac would help is if they were internally pipped but not progressing. I would just candle with a light and wait. We're these shipped or local?

Back
Top Bottom