Horse Talk

At shows though aren't there lots of other horses around? But I do see your point and agree with you and that's awesome you do all that :)

At shows though aren't there lots of other horses around? But I do see your point and agree with you and that's awesome you do all that :)
Yes, but not ones that my horses know, being around lots of strange horses is more stressful than being alone if they don't have the "security blanket" of another horse that they do know. When I go to shows, I tie the horses to the side of the trailer with some hay and they stand beside their buddy and munch with most of their vision blocked off by the trailer, they KNOW they are somewhere different obviously, but they have the trailer (which lives in their field with them) and a buddy that are familiar in the unfamiliar environment. When the one that is showing is actually tacked and ridden, the one that isn't either has someone hanging out with him at the trailer or is on a lead rope being held near the ring. This just ensures that I can walk away from the trailer to do something without the horses freaking out as they never freak out if they have a buddy next to them.

Yes, but not ones that my horses know, being around lots of strange horses is more stressful than being alone if they don't have the "security blanket" of another horse that they do know. When I go to shows, I tie the horses to the side of the trailer with some hay and they stand beside their buddy and munch with most of their vision blocked off by the trailer, they KNOW they are somewhere different obviously, but they have the trailer (which lives in their field with them) and a buddy that are familiar in the unfamiliar environment. When the one that is showing is actually tacked and ridden, the one that isn't either has someone hanging out with him at the trailer or is on a lead rope being held near the ring. This just ensures that I can walk away from the trailer to do something without the horses freaking out as they never freak out if they have a buddy next to them.

That makes sense and wow that's awesome you do all that :)

I prefer mine to be used to being alone...my older one is buddy sour, and was that way when I got him. It was okay in arenas, he was always really good (raised as a show horse, so arenas were no biggy) but he could be downright dangerous on trails, bucking rearing and spinning if I tried to leave the group. And forget going out on my own. Not if I wanted to live, I wouldn't. I could take him out alone on the road though but only because he knew we were meeting my friend's horses down the street.. ha. But they had to walk me home because when I tried to leave them he'd loose it. Or I had to get off. I do not want my filly to be like that- it's a horrible time, miserable to deal with, dangerous.

So my filly living alone doesn't bother me. She gets social time with me. Once she cements her human bond and learns to go out alone, she can spend time in horse groups, but she has to live alone right now there isn't anything I can do about that, and during this time in training I think it's good for her anyway.

I prefer mine to be used to being alone...my older one is buddy sour, and was that way when I got him. It was okay in arenas, he was always really good (raised as a show horse, so arenas were no biggy) but he could be downright dangerous on trails, bucking rearing and spinning if I tried to leave the group. And forget going out on my own. Not if I wanted to live, I wouldn't. I could take him out alone on the road though but only because he knew we were meeting my friend's horses down the street.. ha. But they had to walk me home because when I tried to leave them he'd loose it. Or I had to get off. I do not want my filly to be like that- it's a horrible time, miserable to deal with, dangerous.

So my filly living alone doesn't bother me. She gets social time with me. Once she cements her human bond and learns to go out alone, she can spend time in horse groups, but she has to live alone right now there isn't anything I can do about that, and during this time in training I think it's good for her anyway.
Horses arent meant to live alone. That's where vices like cribbing and weaving come from. If a horse is being led or ridden, then they are not alone, there is a human with them. My horses don't have to be around other horses, but I never have them alone. If I am there, they are not alone, but i cannot be there 24 hours a day, so they always have a horse with them.

In my opinion, horses should never be alone. If they are with their human then they aren't alone, the rest of the time they have someone with them. If I bring one in for a week or 2 due to an injury, I bring in at least one other horse to keep them company. For long indoor stays, I let the non injured ones out and bring in a new one every so often so they aren't locked up for a long time if the are healthy, but the hurt one is never alone. I even take 2 when i go to a show, and the one that is left at the trailer has a human with them at all times.

I see your point, but... Eventually me and mom want to be able to trail ride, and mom has plans for her being an endurance horse, so she does need to lesrn hoe to deal with being by herself and not acting like a total psycho when she's just in the front yard. :rolleyes:

That has been a draft for two days now. -_-

We got more hay tonight, and she kept getting in the way and attacking zGinger, so I out her in a pen. Two minutes later she just went crazy. Snorting and blowing and spinning and prancing up and down the panels. So I pout her in the roundpen and made her run. She did much better tonight - I just have to make it a point to get along with her. :lol:

I was riding Smoke this afternoon, and i had to pull my phone out of my pocket cuz it was gonna fall out, and he jumped six feet forward and started galloping around the pasture. (Spooked at my shirt) Turns out that my camera was on that whole time :lau :lau:lau

I'll upload the pics i accidentally took later. :lol:

A little ugly but I just have never heard of an equestrian subdivision before :lau

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2398-S-Rocking-Horse-Pl-Kuna-ID-83634/96133494_zpid/

Oh, yeah. I used to "horse sit" for someone who lived in one. Only a handful of the people who lived there actually had horses, but that was the intent when it was created. They even had designated riding trails on some right-of-ways along the edges of some of the properties. But then someone's lawyer had a hissy fit over possible liability, so the HOA closed them down.:he

Back
Top Bottom