How do you keep your water from freezing?

Pics
That was in Chicago area.
The new one is in Michigan. This winter is bad. And the exhaust is too high . Can't heat the water well.
IMG_20180106_083235.jpg
IMG_20180106_083235.jpg
IMG_20180106_083225.jpg
IMG_20180106_083235.jpg
IMG_20180106_083225.jpg
IMG_20180106_083235.jpg
IMG_20180106_075600.jpg

Yes, make sure the water or ice won't cover the exhaust. I have a T to bypass the air, too.
T is good but just the added pipe length could increase resistance to airflow.
Check with the manufacturer or a licensed HVAC technician,
you don't want to screw up the efficiency of the appliance or flood your house with CO2.

Last edited:
Hi all,
After talking to the woman at the local poultry supply store, I bought a heated dog bowl to use for our coop. Last week I switched to using that (instead of our galvanized waterer).

I'm already seeing some problems with it and things I don't like--chiefly that it's really easy for my Polish top hat to get her head feathers wet, which makes me worry about her on cold nights. But it also needs to be totally dumped almost daily, because it gets totally full of straw. Pretty sure the girls don't care if they poop in it, either.

So I'm wondering what people prefer? I saw a bunch of options on Amazon, ranging from $15-$70. I'd like something I can use with what we have already...

ETA: this is a small suburban flock. 4 hens and a small coop.

Hi all,
After talking to the woman at the local poultry supply store, I bought a heated dog bowl to use for our coop. Last week I switched to using that (instead of our galvanized waterer).

I'm already seeing some problems with it and things I don't like--chiefly that it's really easy for my Polish top hat to get her head feathers wet, which makes me worry about her on cold nights. But it also needs to be totally dumped almost daily, because it gets totally full of straw. Pretty sure the girls don't care if they poop in it, either.

So I'm wondering what people prefer? I saw a bunch of options on Amazon, ranging from $15-$70. I'd like something I can use with what we have already...

ETA: this is a small suburban flock. 4 hens and a small coop.
Hi ErikaRI~ I switched to a radiant heater for my coop this winter *$38.00 at Walmart, and I put it a foot away from the drinker (which is up on 2 cinder blocks) and it keeps the water perfectly warmish and since its raised up its clean. I change my flock's water every day anyway, and since I use the plastic Free Range Poultry Drinker. I never liked using the bottom platform heater (risk of fire) and since you really should be giving clean water every day its not a problem. In case you're not familiar with it, here's a picture. Happy New Year and best of luck! Keep warm ~ from the Colorado Plains
Harris-Farms-4235-main

@VLCooper TAKE THAT OFF NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THAT EXHAUST IS NOT GOING OUT OF YOUR HOUSE !!!
if you had an opening at the top of the pipe it would be ok, but you have stopped the flow of exhaust and it will back into the house. The exhaust needs to go up to get out. Straight up, not down and out. That is not how it flows.

CARBON MONOXIDE DEATH !!

PLEASE PLEASE TAKE IT OFF !!!!

I am not joking here, really and I don't care if you think I am being Mean ! This is a building code Violation because it causes Death !

If you don't believe me, call a plumber or the town code guy and see what he says about that.

@VLCooper TAKE THAT OFF NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THAT EXHAUST IS NOT GOING OUT OF YOUR HOUSE !!!
if you had an opening at the top of the pipe it would be ok, but you have stopped the flow of exhaust and it will back into the house. The exhaust needs to go up to get out. Straight up, not down and out. That is not how it flows.

CARBON MONOXIDE DEATH !!

PLEASE PLEASE TAKE IT OFF !!!!

I am not joking here, really and I don't care if you think I am being Mean ! This is a building code Violation because it causes Death !

If you don't believe me, call a plumber or the town code guy and see what he says about that.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom