How Much DE (Diatomaceous Earth) Should I Feed My Chickens

DITTO.

Now for a question - how do you feed the DE to your chickens if you are using mostly pelleted food with late afternoon supplements of fresh veggies from the garden, leftover food, sprouts, etc.? Will it actually "stick" onto the pellets so that the chickens ingest it or will it be wasted that way?

ONCE AGAIN.... DITTO. Good question.​

I know this thread is old but if anyone is still wondering about this, I put cucumber in the food processor each morning. I put that in a big bowl, then I add the crumble, then I add a few heaping tablespoons of DE. The DE falls through the feed and evenly coats all the moist bits of cucumber with what looks like a dry coat of DE. The chickens eat the cucumber first.

The question still remains as to the effectiveness of DE internally but that is how I deliver it. Haven't had any adverse effects.

I dont' feed it to my girls...I put it in their bedding. I had an ant problem and sprinkled it in and around their coop along the trail, and instantly got rid of the ants! DE acts like shards of glass to insects. Helps keep away mites too! Use sparingly and ALWAYS wear a mask when distributing. :thumbsup

Thanks for the info. Just got home with my DE and wasn't sure how much for my 10 little girls. Or didn't know about dusting the coop....What you do , sounds like a plan to me !
Honestly, I thought I had to rub it on them !!

Thanks everyone for all the ideas....feeling better now..
Su

Something being natural or artificial has no bearing on its safety, or effectiveness. Some of the most toxic things you can give to your animals are 'natural'

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 6 hens and 1 rooster. And they act like they're starving to death everytime I feed them. I feed them 2 cups of layer feed with 1 teaspoon of garlic powder and 1 teaspoon of food grade DE mixed in in the morning. EveningS I feed them 2 cups of just the feed. And once a week I add 1 tabkespoon of ACV to 1gal of water. In between I'll give veggies or raisins or scratch depending on what I have. A week ago we got our 1st egg and yesterday another hen started laying so we had a 2 egg day yesterday. Still learning from all ya'll. Thanks!

Last edited:
Chicken seem to eat all the time forging digging scratching looking for something to eat don't worry about them being hungry all the time because that's their nature especially when they know that their owner has good things to give them. I love to spoil my chickens I even buy frozen corn and thought out for them they'd love that but they will only eat as much as they can hold in their craw. So if you don't want to waste food watch how much they eat or how much they leave behind and cut it down a little also you can get them used to you giving them one snack a day or two stacks today I give mine morning grain With oats or if I have leftover oatmeal I give that to them and when it's hot around noon time I'll give them some romaine some green things or celery whatever I have left over and melon rinds just stuff grapes are cut up like I said out or I will give them corn that is thawed out or cooked rice. and I always have the Purina pellets 4 layers available for them whenever they want it but most the time they just forge and forhe and forge. LOL

Hi everyone, just wanted to know if this is food grade DE or not? Thank you

Back
Top Bottom