How Necessary is a Ramp? Any Alternatives?

I'd do a longer "porch" so that you have room for the two bucket feeder and waters you want under it. Then you could do a half way step at the end and not be in the way of the feeders. Something like this:

chicken.jpg

I totally agree! Love your steps! I'm just trying to be able to fit the feeder under the step if possible.

Ahh sorry I didn't catch that. In that case then building wood steps, as in your sketch, so the underside is open and usable, would be the way to go. Shelf brackets are probably sturdy enough to hold up the main platform, or you could use scrap wood or some sturdy sawed off branches to make legs to hold up the steps.

A landing pad seems like a good idea but if you keep a flock of mixed age and abilities such as I do here it doesn't work.
My seniors wouldn't make the jump for a start and any chicks that mum is trying to introduce to the flock won't make it into the coop either.
It also gives a flat and stable platform for predators to work on coop doors.

(terrible drawing)
Actually it's an excellent illustration!!
What program did you use?

Your porch sketch looks fine, shelf brackets should work good if they fit the space underneath. You could put porch lower(8" from bottom of pop door is what mine is) then set a cinder block or two as 'steps'.

How are you posting your pics?
I'm on a laptop and usually cut and paste pics from Photoshop.
There are so many options for adding pics here, it boggles my mind.

I have some coops with ramps but most have a step. The birds usually figure them out either way. To get the birds to use the ramps, I put some treats going up the ramps and they go after the treats and figure it out. Good luck and have fun.

I am inspired! I bought nipples to make a new waterer recently but have limited space in the small run. Also waiting to re-home the ducklings before switching to nipples and/or modifying the ramp. I might make something just like this now. Though my girls do enjoy hanging out under the existing ramp (good shade and wind block)

@aart if you are running a newish version of windows on your computer it comes with this software called “snipping tool” that makes it super easy to just screen grab and mark up other people’s photos. Most times on BYC it’s all I need.

@aart if you are running a newish version of windows on your computer it comes with this software called “snipping tool” that makes it super easy to just screen grab and mark up other people’s photos. Most times on BYC it’s all I need.
Win7 ...but PS does all I need it too, been using it every day for years.

I'd do a longer "porch" so that you have room for the two bucket feeder and waters you want under it. Then you could do a half way step at the end and not be in the way of the feeders. Something like this:

View attachment 1847405
I really like this idea. Working on different options as we may be expanding our coop soon and this could be an excellent addition!

Back
Top Bottom