I Miss Old BYC!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
More because everything in the computer/internet universe has changed so much in the past 3 years that anything 3 years old is like driving a Model T on an interstate tollroad.
If it is slow and dragging here you'll find it will be slow and dragging every where as 2012 progresses.

But not everyone can afford to just go out and buy a new computer every three years. We have a total of 1 desktop and 4 laptops and they have to last as long as possible when you need that many. Well only 3 of the laptops are really needed but I got a good deal on the other one. :D

My computer is a lot older than 3 yrs but I just don't have the $$ to go out and buy a new one. Plus my least favorite thing to do in the entire universe is switching computers. ugh. But BYC works great for me as long as I don't use Firefox (I have an older version) so apparently my model T does fine after all. My issue is with the sidebars and white background, not the speed of the site.

Last edited:
My issue is with the sidebars and white background, not the speed of the site.

Nifty posted a workaround for the white background, until they get the design adjusted.
It's a free program called f.lux that adjusts the tone and brightness of your screen depending on the time of day (and you can click a button to turn it off any time if you're doing color accurate work, like editing photos).
You can download it from http://stereopsis.com/flux/#comments
I've been running it for 24 hours now, no problems. You have to adjust the settings, the default is too orange and dark.

People have been talking about new computers being needed or needing to be in the city for this to work right. My desktop computer is 5 years old and it wasn't top of the line then, either, just an end of year Compaq closeout at Walmart. I am using FF 9 with AdBlocker and using Windows XP. On old FF version 3.6, it was choppy and slower, but now, it's as fast as the other site.

I had issues on the other site at times, folks! Rob can tell you I'd gripe about the little wheel spinning when I'd hit the submit button. I haven't had as many issues here as I did on the old site with that so far. I'm not in the city, either. I live in the boonies in a town of about 200 people (maybe 20,000 in the county) with probably the slowest DSL there is, but I do keep my computer cleaned of malware, spyware and cookies often. That helps with speed.

Last edited:
But not everyone can afford to just go out and buy a new computer every three years. We have a total of 1 desktop and 4 laptops and they have to last as long as possible when you need that many. Well only 3 of the laptops are really needed but I got a good deal on the other one.
big_smile.png

My computer is a lot older than 3 yrs but I just don't have the $$ to go out and buy a new one. Plus my least favorite thing to do in the entire universe is switching computers. ugh. But BYC works great for me as long as I don't use Firefox (I have an older version) so apparently my model T does fine after all. My issue is with the sidebars and white background, not the speed of the site.

I don't think any of the BYC Staff would support telling people they have to go out and purchase a new machine to have a successful experience using the new forum.
wink.png

There are, however, some things people can do to make their experience faster. It may take a little work to find out which browser(s)/add-ons, settings, etc., make the forum faster for each person, but please keep trying. There are a lot of different options out there, and it takes some time to test them.

feathersnuggles, if you're running Firefox, I suggest you check into AdBlock Plus. It's a free Firefox add-on. You might also want to try the Google Chrome or Opera Turbo web browsers.

Last edited:
I will say I am thrilled with the new way to search the database.
wee.gif

I have found that sometimes when I click on a thread/posting I've searched that I am re-routed to the home page for some odd reason.
It happens a lot, but I used to be in SQA and there will be bugs!!

Quote:
I will say I am thrilled with the new way to search the database.
wee.gif

I have found that sometimes when I click on a thread/posting I've searched that I am re-routed to the home page for some odd reason.
It happens a lot, but I used to be in SQA and there will be bugs!!

Can you add this to the Bugs thread if you haven't already?
smile.png

Quote:
The designers should have remembered that many folks who are owned by our chickens live in rural communities that DO NOT have broadband. The chickens only have access to dialup or satellite internet and so that's what we need to use.
smile.png

A lot of the Staff live in rural places, too...it wouldn't make sense for all of us to be "city chickens."
wink.png
We're a very diverse group and live all over North America.

As for me... I have satellite. I'm currently running Firefox 9.0.1 with AdBlockPlus installed. Firefox is my go-to browser (except when I'm on Pinterest -- then I use Safari), and I admittedly keep ads turned off for all of my web browsing because it helps with speed. I've done this for years because I have to.
hu.gif

For another example, see Speckledhen's post here. I think she lives in an even more rural area than I do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom