International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Good luck chickengr.with a broody hen you should have a good result

Chooks man
thanks.

it is getting hot during the day. she already got up twice today. I must be around all the time as she does not want to poop in the cage although there is room besides the nest. she wanted to go out and had some dust bath as well. she is young and first time broody. when I put her back on the eggs she took care of the eggs on her right side only leaving some on the opposite side uncovered. I put more straw and make the nest more cone shaped and pushed the eggs under her. she is big enough but inexperienced.

thanks.

it is getting hot during the day. she already got up twice today. I must be around all the time as she does not want to poop in the cage although there is room besides the nest. she wanted to go out and had some dust bath as well. she is young and first time broody. when I put her back on the eggs she took care of the eggs on her right side only leaving some on the opposite side uncovered. I put more straw and make the nest more cone shaped and pushed the eggs under her. she is big enough but inexperienced.

She may be getting up because she feels as if the eggs are getting too hot. I've hatched under a broody in 20 F degree weather where the mom almost never got up. And I have also hatched a batch in the middle of summer, at 100 F degree temps where mom had to constantly get up to keep her eggs from getting too hot. As long as it doesn't seem like she's abandoning the eggs I think your girl will do fine
wink.png

Saturday I picked up my three BCM from Cowboy Country Poultry (who bought all of Fitz Farms BCM last fall) I sooooo hope ONE will be a hen
1f64f-1f3fc.png
1f91e-1f3fc.png
1f633.png
But I'll be ok with one of them being a Roo
1f44d-1f3fc.png

I'm very pleased with my BCMs and BBS Copper Marans that I got from Fitz Farms in April 2016. I hope you will be pleased too. My birds had some flaws but nothing major and that can't be improved upon in future generations with selective breeding. I recently had my first spring hatch from my Fitz Farm Marans so I'm excited to see how these new chicks grow out.

Good Luck,
Keith

Back
Top Bottom