Isbar thread

Pics
Still waiting... have one splash, one blue, one black that are out, another blue that drowned while unzipping. :( Four eggs with no peep... I had to help the black out it was taking so long that the shell was drying and sticking to it, I'm afraid the humidity is too low I spritzed warm water in there when I helped the black out but I don't know what else I could do that would be a help and not a hinderance. I don't have a hygrometer so I don't know what the humidity is, I just keep the water trays full and all but one hole in the cover closed. Actually I think I am going to go block the last hole and hope that helps, I wonder if I should open it again to put in a warm wet washcloth? Anyone care to give me advice?

This is out of 15 eggs BTW. 8 went into lockdown looking good, and 2 more I left in "just in case" but I don't expect them to hatch, I think they quit about day 15 or so.

Rinda
What kind of incubator are you using? You really shouldn't block the airflow. I never put the plugs in my hovabator. They need the flow, particularily during hatching. I just squirt warm water through the air hole in the top with a large syringe. I try to keep the humidty (a temp/hum gauge at walmart is less than $10) around 60-65 at lockdown. When eggs start to hatch, it will normally rise from the moisture inside the egg.

Sometimes I help a chick if I feel they are stuck too long, but the best policy is to normally keep your hands out. If you should need to open a lid, do it quickly and either give a little spray of water or throw in a damp papertowel.

Good luck.

Deb

Last edited:
I hatched out 5 chicks out of the 12 shipped. Splash was born with spraddle leg but was fixed easily. They recieved save-a-chick in their water the first week of life. NONE have had any problems at all since, oh and I fed medicated chick feed. They r now 18wks and doing well!

Thank you for sharing your experience chickenfever, that sounds like a good group you have. Do you know if there are any negative effects from breeding brother to sister, or mother to son? Most of you have eggs that came from one source, and all of them came from the greenfire line. I was wondering if or when genetic problems occur.

Again my question to all is; Are there any negative genetic effects from breeding brother to sister, or mother to son, ect....? Thank you for you responses:)

Still waiting... have one splash, one blue, one black that are out, another blue that drowned while unzipping. :(  Four eggs with no peep... I had to help the black out it was taking so long that the shell was drying and sticking to it, I'm afraid the humidity is too low I spritzed warm water in there when I helped the black out but I don't know what else I could do that would be a help and not a hinderance.  I don't have a hygrometer so I don't know what the humidity is, I just keep the water trays full and all but one hole in the cover closed.  Actually I think I am going to go block the last hole and hope that helps, I wonder if I should open it again to put in a warm wet washcloth?  Anyone care to give me advice?

This is out of 15 eggs BTW. 8 went into lockdown looking good, and 2 more I left in "just in case" but I don't expect them to hatch, I think they quit about day 15 or so.

Rinda

Rinda, sorry about the other 5, but I can't wait to see pics of your 3 healthy fuzzybutts:)

Well after the "stuck" chick dried it was actually blue, not black, and only the 3 hatched. :( So we got a black from our first hatch (1/24 with an accidental incubator cooldown), and 3/15 (one splash and 2 blue) from the second hatch. 1 drowned while unzipping and 3 died in the shell, didn't internal pip. :( So sad I don't know what I did wrong...

Quote:
Deb thanks. I will definitely pick one of those hygrometers up from Walmart or Lowes before my next hatch in two weeks.

Hi,
It was interesting to read the tips for the Hovabator. That is what I use also. Is it ok to leave the plugs out the whole time? I have three Isbar eggs in the incubator now, I haven't had such good hatch rates, so a breeder that I buy from has had me readjust the humidity some. I want to give these three the best chance possible. My last hatch I had 1/22 hatch, but she died this morning :( Thanks for all the advice!
Kim

How adorable! I want some of these, too.
love.gif

Here's my three new little ones!

Back
Top Bottom