Isbar thread

Pics
Those of us that are working on the autosexing part of Isbars, may also breed new vigor into the breed. Technically they won't be Isbars for many generations but once we are all done, we will have what Martin Silverudd did not not get to complete.
How will the autosexing affect their color? Will they just be barred BBS?

DCChicken, you are right. Infusion of the CL will help with adding new vigor as well as improving egg color. Too many of the eggs are a darker or olive green. Personally, I think the eggs are more attractive if they are a lighter green. I'm glad some of you are "on it".

How will the autosexing affect their color? Will they just be barred BBS?
Technically they will be barred, but if you are expecting them to look like BBS cuckoos, they will not.

The plan:

1. Cross a Cream Legbar rooster to Isbar Pullets
2. keep the F1 males and cross them back to Isbars
3. Then do a BC1 x BC1 cross to make the double barred males
Males should be very Pale light blue with a headspot, females will be much darker with a smaller headspot

For Quick Sexlinks that produce Bluish or light greenish eggs..

Isbar Male crossed to Cream Legbar Females would produce Sexlinks, males would have a Headpsot and females would be solid colored.

you can take these F1 Blue or black Barred males and cross them back to Isbars to continue with the Autosexing Isbar project

Now that some of you have grown out Isbars to laying age, I would be interested in hearing more about their disposition/demeanor. Do they get along well with other breeds of different ages? Do the cockerels get along well, not only with each other but with other cockerels? Some roos will keep to their own flock and allow other roos do the same as long as they don't imfringe. Do Isbars go by those rules? Where are Isbars on the pecking order? And are Isbars friendly and calm or aloof and skiddish? If they are friendly, to what degree? Since mine are being raised under a hen that makes every chick she has ever raised crazy, I won't know by my own birds. I'll have to grow them out and raise another generation in the incubator.
Thanks.

Technically they will be barred, but if you are expecting them to look like BBS cuckoos, they will not.

The plan:

1. Cross a Cream Legbar rooster to Isbar Pullets
2. keep the F1 males and cross them back to Isbars
3. Then do a BC1 x BC1 cross to make the double barred males
Males should be very Pale light blue with a headspot, females will be much darker with a smaller headspot

For Quick Sexlinks that produce Bluish or light greenish eggs..

Isbar Male crossed to Cream Legbar Females would produce Sexlinks, males would have a Headpsot and females would be solid colored.

you can take these F1 Blue or black Barred males and cross them back to Isbars to continue with the Autosexing Isbar project
Fascinating and great information! Thank you for posting this.
big_smile.png

Now that some of you have grown out Isbars to laying age, I would be interested in hearing more about their disposition/demeanor. Do they get along well with other breeds of different ages? Do the cockerels get along well, not only with each other but with other cockerels? Some roos will keep to their own flock and allow other roos do the same as long as they don't imfringe. Do Isbars go by those rules? Where are Isbars on the pecking order? And are Isbars friendly and calm or aloof and skiddish? If they are friendly, to what degree? Since mine are being raised under a hen that makes every chick she has ever raised crazy, I won't know by my own birds. I'll have to grow them out and raise another generation in the incubator.
Thanks.
My cockerels are pretty proud of themselves and big on displaying their prowess. The dark blue is rather "insistent" with the pullets but has not hurt anyone. The splash cockerel is less assertive but is getting the job done with his Marans pullets (single comb olive egger project). I expect they would not get along with other cock/erels in a mixed situation. The cockerels are more friendly than the pullets, though none are as calm as my Marans. I can walk among the Isbar flock in close contact and they don't mind the dog at all, but if I want to catch any of them I have to corner them and then the pullets scream bloody murder when I touch them. They don't fight or struggle, just make a lot of noise.

I have not had the immune issues reported by others. We don't have any trouble hatching and raising our chicks.

My cockerels are pretty proud of themselves and big on displaying their prowess. The dark blue is rather "insistent" with the pullets but has not hurt anyone. The splash cockerel is less assertive but is getting the job done with his Marans pullets (single comb olive egger project). I expect they would not get along with other cock/erels in a mixed situation. The cockerels are more friendly than the pullets, though none are as calm as my Marans. I can walk among the Isbar flock in close contact and they don't mind the dog at all, but if I want to catch any of them I have to corner them and then the pullets scream bloody murder when I touch them. They don't fight or struggle, just make a lot of noise.

I have not had the immune issues reported by others. We don't have any trouble hatching and raising our chicks.
I glad you have not had the issue but the potential is in all of the early lines. Even Greenfire now admits that are their site. The early lines were too closely related. It's why Greenfire imported the new line in 2013. Personally I think that if I hatched enough the problem would eventually go away. But I am going to spend my time finishing the autosexing part of Isbars. Through that process, the Isbars will get new blood and the hatching issue will disappear. My Cream Legbar hatch like clockwork, going from pipping to zipping to screaming in record time. And I focused on barring this year with my Cream Legbar so they should be perfect to use in the crossing.

Quote: My Isbars come from 3 different people. The cockerel is not related to any of the hens (except originally through GFF, of course.) I think that will help with some of the issues. And as more people hatch them out and swap eggs/birds, I think the original line will get stronger. I think the new line will also help a great deal. Early on, there were similar problems with the Swedish Flower Hens, but I think they are becoming more vigorous with each new generation.

We have chickie pictures. These will be 2 wks old tomorrow. There are 6 total on this hen, with 2 more on different mamas. I'm wondering if the light one is going to be a light blue splash.

Is this an Isbar? I lost a few legbands on some chicks and I cant tell if this is a hedemora or an isbar. I have had a black birchen Isbar from this bloodline so I'm at a loss.

Back
Top Bottom