Isbar thread

Pics
fabulous color!! congratulations!

i have three isbar eggs in the incubator that should be hatching today or tomorrow, if they are successful -- plus one "ice cream bar" (isbar x cream legbar) who has already hatched!

Last edited:

i have three isbar eggs in the incubator that should be hatching today or tomorrow, if they are successful -- plus one "ice cream bar" (isbar x cream legbar) who has already hatched!
I just hatched an Ice Cream Bar 4 days ago. It's part of my autosexing Isbar project.

Mahalo (thanks)! What weight are your Isbar eggs before you will consider hatching them? These first ones were 38-42 grams. The dark blue cockerel had a faint head spot when hatched so I'm curious to see what our chicks will show as far as partial autosexing.

Mahalo (thanks)! What weight are your Isbar eggs before you will consider hatching them? These first ones were 38-42 grams. The dark blue cockerel had a faint head spot when hatched so I'm curious to see what our chicks will show as far as partial autosexing.

i'm afraid i didn't weigh them, just popped them in -- i had three broody hens that kept having trouble actually hatching their eggs, so got the incubator fired up -- of course, three weeks later, two are co-raising some chicks that one of them hatched and the third seems to have broken out of the broody mood.

there's only three isbar eggs in there (among others), and none are showing any pips yet -- but they're officially "due" tomorrow, so will keep waiting... none of the marans eggs have pipped yet, either!

i'm afraid i didn't weigh them, just popped them in -- i had three broody hens that kept having trouble actually hatching their eggs, so got the incubator fired up -- of course, three weeks later, two are co-raising some chicks that one of them hatched and the third seems to have broken out of the broody mood.

there's only three isbar eggs in there (among others), and none are showing any pips yet -- but they're officially "due" tomorrow, so will keep waiting... none of the marans eggs have pipped yet, either!
USDA medium is 50+ grams or large 57+ grams. I'm waiting until at least 50 g. Good luck with the hatch! My Marans are generally slower, 21-22 days although I have an early hatcher in there right now at 20 days. Go figure.

so, do the boys show a head spot like CL boys do? this chick is either a very dark blue or black, and has a wisp of of a spot on its head, but only very small...
Actually I had a pullet hatch this time. I was using Isbar roo over a CL hen. I need to get a picture but it looks like a chipmunk.

Actually I had a pullet hatch this time. I was using Isbar roo over a CL hen. I need to get a picture but it looks like a chipmunk.

this one is definitely not chipmunk-y, but very dark -- looks mostly like an isbar chick, so far, other than the wisp on the head.

i similarly have a blue isbar roo over a CL pullet, so it will be interesting to compare these chicks as they grow!

Back
Top Bottom