JANUARY 2015 Hatch-A-Long

Lockdown
how exciting. Good luck and post pics!

I'm halfway through incubation now, so exciting! Having issues with temp today, if I recall it was about day 10 that I had an issue with temp last time around too. Since I've been home and had an eye on the incubator it hasn't been a big issue but my temp seems to keep creeping up even while I turn it down a bit. I recall reading that at some point the eggs start putting off their own heat... would that be around day 10? Hopefully I can get it to stabilize before I go to bed or else I may be getting up often to check on it.

So, final count for me looks to be 5 EEs and 2 Silkies. 2 of the EEs are still absorbing blood/yolk, but I had to remove the shell from their eggs because they both pipped at the wrong end of the egg. I took out all the left over eggs and candled them, then eggtopsied them (2 Silkie, 5 EE). They had all passed. The one Silkie egg I thought had quit before lock down had, indeed, quit. One of the EEs was in the right position, made its way through the internal membrane but was too large to be able to move enough to pip through the shell. If I would have checked them last night, I probably could have saved it, but thats the way it goes sometimes. The rest of the eggs were all malpositioned. Maybe because I didn't turn them the first 4 days, or my low temperature during the beginning stages? I don't know, but I'm happy I have chicks in my bator! I'll post pics of everyone when they're fluffy and in the brooder :)  For my first go with shipped eggs, I'm pretty pleased with myself after reading all of the horror stories about them!
Congrats, glad you ended up with some fuzzy butts.

found a tiny egg in my chicken lay box. prob won't hatch may not have a yolk but what they hey. I will know in a few days. the tan egg is regular sized.

Back
Top Bottom