Kennel training a puppy

OrganicFarmWife

Crowing
Oct 21, 2015
No where Nebraska
We got a puppy, 3 months, about a month ago he is a good dog, perfect for our little farm. He is a cross between a Australian Shepard and a Bernese Mountian Dog. I have never owned a puppy before and I do not have this figured out.
My original plan was to paper train the puppy. I set him up in my hallway (20x5) using baby gates. It did not take him long to jump them.
I have a kennel ordered, 42 inches with a divider, it will be here next week. I have done enough research to know the puppy can only go about 3 hours between bathroom breaks. How can I train the dog to use the paper? Getting up multiple times a night is not a great option. I have a baby and barely get enough sleep as it is right now.

A 3 month old puppy should sleep through the night for the most part. Pick up the food 4-6 hours before bed and the water 2 hours. I have never paper trained, I wasn't interested in a dog pooping in the house, that stuff stinks.

Hopefully someone who has will help out. I can get a pup mostly housebroken in a month or so by putting them on a schedule. A puppy requires time and lots of attention. I wouldn't want to be raising a puppy at the same time I had a baby. You have your hands full.

I have my old farm dog who is doing most the work right now. I wanted the puppy before i lost my girl and this dog fell in my lap.
If The puppy can mostly sleep though the night, the kennel will be doable. I mostly just want him house broken, he is little and it is going to get colder. The paper is just the way to make it through the night.

They instinctively will *try* not to soil the place where they sleep. You can set up the paper in the back half of the kennel and a blanket or bed in the front half when you lock the dog in the kennel at night. You don't want the dog walking through their mess when you let them out of the kennel. When you open the kennel put the leash on and go straight outside praising any outside urination etc. Also key it with a phrase when you go from the kennel to the door "go out" or "go potty". This is all doing many things. One, the dog won't want to soil their bed so they will work on holding it, two, the dog will naturally have to go when it awakes so you will have some control of the situation and catch. and praise the good behavior outdoors, also the dog is learning that getting out of the crate and going outside is a business trip. Don't let the dog out of the crate and get super excited and start playing instantly or the dog will start begging to come out for fun when in fact you want to train the dog to ask to go out to pee. Also make the crate a comfortable safe place, treats, a chew toy that they only get in there. Also give a command every time you put the dog in the crate "kennel up" or "go to bed" eventually you will just be able to tell the dog to do these things.

House training means puppy does not go in the house.
Oldhenlikesdogs is right about getting a schedule going.

I got a 3 month old puppy a few days ago. The first night was messy to put it politely. Better each day but it is a ton of work. Things that having a new baby would make near impossible like getting the dog outside quick when needed.

I do not envy you trying to house train a puppy while you have a baby too.

I would crate the pup at night and then first thing in the morning a good amount of time outside to take care of business.

I treat train puppies. Poo inside no treat, poo outside praise and a small treat.

Will he figure it out if he spends most of the day outside? That is what I have resorted to so far.
I would like to get to the point where he spends most of his day outside but he could come in and play with the kids. Then kennel, if that is what it takes, during the night.

The baby is working on his toddlerhood so, while demanding, I can set him down and take a dog out. We are a farm so the puppy has lots of room to run and my old girl is showing him the area.

How old are the older kids?
If over 6 maybe one can assist in taking puppy out.
Do you have a secure place for the pup outside?

I would worry the pup won't get enough socialization and may get stuck sticking its head where it shouldn't. Like through a gate or under a fence edge.

My pup had never been in a house. Spending time inside is what is helping her learn. They need to learn all kinds of commands while young like "leave it" "down" "outside" "off".
Personally I feel it is a disservice to not have the pet be part of the family.

The oldest is 5 and she understands he is her dog. She is in school and we are a farm, so a part of this dogs job is to patrol the area. I know dogs focused on the kids do not make great working dogs, but I do not need great, just good. The dog would spend more time indoors as soon as I can house train him. So hopefully the kennel will be key.

Back
Top Bottom