Langshan Thread!!!

That was an interesting read. I'm sure many of us were playing along at home. Those pullets appear to have a nice iridescence. I love the glossy look of the Langshan. To me that's one of things that separates them from just another black chicken.

I love the green sheen too. Only other fowl I've seen with as much as the Langshans have are the Sumatra and of course Cayuga and East Indie Ducks.

I love the green sheen too. Only other fowl I've seen with as much as the Langshans have are the Sumatra and of course Cayuga and East Indie Ducks.

Those breeds usually show the green sheen very well but all black birds should have it. Good Black Rosecomb males often have great feather sheen as well.
An old time Judge, charlie Burmaster, used to say "You can feel the green"" on a good black bird.

Those breeds usually show the green sheen very well but all black birds should have it. Good Black Rosecomb males often have great feather sheen as well.
An old time Judge, charlie Burmaster, used to say "You can feel the green"" on a good black bird.

Very true, it's just a lot harder to get in some breeds I have observed, whereas with the Langshan I find even Blacks from a blue/blue mating will still have great green (which I have found to be not true in other breeds such as Plymouth Rock Bantams and Old English Game Bantams).

Would have have any idea of the genetics that make that happen? Or is it simply a selection issue?

Very true, it's just a lot harder to get in some breeds I have observed, whereas with the Langshan I find even Blacks from a blue/blue mating will still have great green (which I have found to be not true in other breeds such as Plymouth Rock Bantams and Old English Game Bantams).

Would have have any idea of the genetics that make that happen? Or is it simply a selection issue?

Sorry, don't really speak genetics. I have some idea of how they work in a practical sense but can't name many of them. Applied genetics really is just a selection process. I hear what you're saying about the Langshans: they along with Sumatras are 2 of my favorite breeds to judge because of the feather quality. Love the way they feel.

well that was a fascinating read thank you guys!!! Course i was too "chicken" to comment. LOL
lol.png
Jump in next time! I survived! One of the nice things about this thread is that no one comes down on you for making mistakes or not knowing everything. I have found it a very safe place to learn.

:lol:   Jump in next time!  I survived!  One of the nice things about this thread is that no one comes down on you for making mistakes or not knowing everything.  I have found it a very safe place to learn.

Thank you but at this point i have one bantam hen. Talk about not knowledgeable! But am thinking in the spring starting a lil flock .:)

Thank you but at this point i have one bantam hen. Talk about not knowledgeable! But am thinking in the spring starting a lil flock .
smile.png
We are great enablers, here! My love of Langshans started with one weak moment in a feed store and a lovely, quirky little blue Langshan pullet. You can't just have one, you know!
wink.png

Thank you but at this point i have one bantam hen. Talk about not knowledgeable! But am thinking in the spring starting a lil flock .
smile.png
We can definitely fix that! The Langshans are addictive. I've raised north of 80 breeds/varieties, but the only one that has lasted me and will never get rid of (again, that was worst mistake of my poultry life!) is the Langshan. There's a breed club to that is growing and expanding again after some dead times that you might consider joining as well.

Back
Top Bottom