Lost my first egg

Grandmadee

Chirping
Mar 29, 2016
Layton, Utah
Waiting patiently for my first egg. This morning when I let the girls out I found my first egg broken on the coop floor. I prepared the nesting boxes in advance and could see where someone had been sitting in one of them.They free range all day so I have been searching the yard just in case. I'm not sure what else to do. There are clean pine shavings everywhere including the nesting boxes. I am pretty sure that my little Snow White is my first layer. Here she is with fresh blackberries on her little face.

Put a couple fake eggs or golf balls in the nesting boxes to show them where you want them to lay. Worked for us. Your hens are really pretty! Bet she loved those blackberries.

I put a golf ball in each of the nesting boxes, this morning I found another egg in the same place on the coop floor, but this one had been pecked open. One of the nesting boxes had been messed up and the golf ball was at the bottom. I know pecking is bad news, so I now may have another problem. I told my husband I was going out super early and wait for the egg. I was joking but he just rolled his eyes as I said "I know,crazy chicken lady" I still may sneak out early LOL

I second the golf balls. (I use plastic easter eggs filled with hardened glue for my Old English Game Bantams. Gold balls are almost too big for them)

If it were me, I'd chuck a golf ball under the roost where the egg has been found. Let them pick at that...lol. That will usually change their minds.
If at all possible, I'd also do what you're thinking and sneak down there to get the egg first thing.

Are you feeding a balanced feed? They'll be curious as to what the new thing on the floor is but they sound pretty voracious for the egg.
Could it be possible that they're lacking calcium/protein? If you see them eating feathers, or picking each other's feathers...they may be lacking protein.
Make sure they have calcium (oyster shells) and enough protein.
If you give egg to the hens for protein it would be best to cook the egg first in your case.

Sometimes it takes a bit of time before the pullets catch on to where they are supposed to lay.
But once they do catch on everyone else follows suit pretty quickly, usually in one favorite nest box...
gig.gif

Last edited:
I second the golf balls. (I use plastic easter eggs filled with hardened glue for my Old English Game Bantams. Gold balls are almost too big for them)

If it were me, I'd chuck a golf ball under the roost where the egg has been found. Let them pick at that...lol. That will usually change their minds.
If at all possible, I'd also do what you're thinking and sneak down there to get the egg first thing.

Are you feeding a balanced feed? They'll be curious as to what the new thing on the floor is but they sound pretty voracious for the egg.
Could it be possible that they're lacking calcium/protein? If you see them eating feathers, or picking each other's feathers...they may be lacking protein.
Make sure they have calcium (oyster shells) and enough protein.
If you give egg to the hens for protein it would be best to cook the egg first in your case.

Sometimes it takes a bit of time before the pullets catch on to where they are supposed to lay.
But once they do catch on everyone else follows suit pretty quickly, usually in one favorite nest box...:gig  

The golf balls worked! Egg #3 was in the nesting box. My Buff Cochin was singing her heart out so I gave her credit for my gift, but this morning my Delaware, Snow White was on the nest. She left my perfect little egg with one little squawk, and the little Buff, Butter Cup was the one making the announcement again. Anyway 2 perfect eggs in 2 days. The other 2 hens just need to follow up.

Back
Top Bottom