Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Quote:
Are all of your Black Marans clean leg ? I see very few with feather legs. Now that the Marans are recognized by APA to show they will need to have feathered legs.

Yes thankfully they have clean legs, I dont particularly care for feathered legs. These are not show birds nor breeding stock, I was just showing some Black Marans that I never see posted. I'd like to see some more of others.

I was also interested in how dark the "skin" pigment of the pullet pictured first was. In person she is black from head to toe.

Lovely. I really like the black ones. Most people who have them just breed them with the blues and splashes and don't start thier own black only flocks. I think that is why they are seen together as often. I have one all black hen (not a overmelanized bcm) I will have to go check her shanks again but I am pretty sure they are feathered.

Watch thier eye color...right now they are young and may not have thier adult eye color yet but when they mature thier eyes should be a nice orangy color.

Last edited:
Okay.....my last hatch of Marans for a few months.

11170_imgp1237.jpg

Hi all...it has been awhile since I have been on here. It has been a long battle for 2 years for me trying to get BC Marans eggs to hatch. I can't afford a good incubator and while I can get decent hatches for my RIR eggs, can't seam to get much going for the choc eggs.

I have also had major predator problems, tearing into my pens, but that is fixed now.

I had almost given up on having any kind of a Marans flock but have a small hope now.

I have just had a hen hatch out her own eggs with 5 beautiful chicks.

The sire is a son of my Handsome roo(came straight from Bev Davis) and hen (also straight from Bev Davis) 2 years ago.
The hen is from eggs that I bought from bargain (on BYC).

I also got a roo from the 'bargain eggs' and I have a blue hen (Bev Davis) that are together now. The hen is just starting to lay again after molt. I hope to get chicks from her as well to expand my flock.

Quote:
Reminds me of a joke I heard about an extremely amorous Roo who did that same thing but had his eyes closed & when the farmer, who saw buzzards circling lower & lower, wondered what had happened the Roo opened one eye and said "be quiet, they are going to land!"

Mel, you always crack me up.....tooo funny. Must be tired, had to read twice and think 3 times
lau.gif

Pinks....so far 6 out of 11 hatched...4 blues and 2 blacks. Not sure about the other 5 but am leaving them in the bator for several more days. BIg, big babies!!!

Back
Top Bottom