March 2017! Hatch with us!

Hooray!!! Is this their due day or are they early? Many many pic, please!

They're officially due tomorrow, and some may make an early appearance, others will wait for the exact day... and the ones I will most relate to are the ones who will be behind from the start!! :gig

Any cheeping?

Nope, but I've tried listening and there are too many chicks in that room! :D

I have seen some very hard wobbles though, so I'm not panicking yet. It's only day 19 anyway, and these aren't normally early. (Lav orps)

They're officially due tomorrow, and some may make an early appearance, others will wait for the exact day... and the ones I will most relate to are the ones who will be behind from the start!! :gig

:fl

Nope: One day! Except the herb garden/green roof was a couple weeks ago... I can't believe it either! My back is still messed up! And this morning I finished it off by cleaning up my garden beds for Spring planting and transplanted my overwintered strawberries back into their pallet. Ugh. Went to girl scouts and came home to find we had accidentally left the dogs outside and they were digging in one of the beds and threw dirt all over!
barnie.gif
Not too bad though. I seriously need to brainstorm stronger fencing ideas to keep the dogs and chickens out of the veggie beds... Something that lasts longer than one year... My idea is to use old fence boards cut to 3.5 ft to make posts and then staple/reuse the chicken wire to them... But I'm going to need some kind of middle rail. I wonder if I can find 8ft 1x1's... Hmm. I'll let you guys know how it works.

@yeye5 I would think tomorrow you would give plain water. If you are worried maybe give them some scrambled eggs too. I've only used electrolyte as a preventative. I had the packets and kind of eyeballed it and then switched to regular water after they finish it or 3 days whichever is faster...

Nope: One day! Except the herb garden/green roof was a couple weeks ago... I can't believe it either! My back is still messed up! And this morning I finished it off by cleaning up my garden beds for Spring planting and transplanted my overwintered strawberries back into their pallet. Ugh. Went to girl scouts and came home to find we had accidentally left the dogs outside and they were digging in one of the beds and threw dirt all over! :barnie Not too bad though. I seriously need to brainstorm stronger fencing ideas to keep the dogs and chickens out of the veggie beds... Something that lasts longer than one year... My idea is to use old fence boards cut to 3.5 ft to make posts and then staple/reuse the chicken wire to them... But I'm going to need some kind of middle rail. I wonder if I can find 8ft 1x1's... Hmm. I'll let you guys know how it works.

@yeye5 I would think tomorrow you would give plain water. If you are worried maybe give them some scrambled eggs too. I've only used electrolyte as a preventative. I had the packets and kind of eyeballed it and then switched to regular water after they finish it or 3 days whichever is faster...

Could you please tell me where you found 3 day maximum. I haven't been able to find that anywhere.

Alot of posts talked about electrolites, what are they for?

Electrolytes aid in water absorption - helping the chick maintain hydration. I have both used and not used them after hatch - I have also used them during the heat of summer when I suspect a chicken may be dehydrated. I like the 'save-a-chick' brand.

end of day 8 for me! Candled my white eggs all but 1 had obvious blood veins/development! Sooooo excited! Cant wait for day 15 to check the brown ones!

I saw into my brown and blue eggs at 8 days. Unless they are super dark like marans, you shouldn't have to wait.

Electrolytes are salts and trace minerals your body needs. Gives a weak animal (or person) a boost. Think gateraid or other sports drinks.

yeah! I hope you get lots of little striped chicks, and only a couple head spots. My legbars are on day 13. So far 13 out of the original 19 are going strong.

Back
Top Bottom