MARYLAND THREAD!

How are all the Marylanders doing with this miserable snowy windy weather? My girls are holed up in the coop with absolutely no interest in coming out to play in the snow. I tossed a cabbage in there this morning and some treat to spice things up. They don't seem to mind the cold, but they seem to dislike the snow on the ground.

When it started snowing in earnest yesterday my speckled girls decided to huddle under the patio table instead of heading off to the coop, I had to carry their silly fuzzy butts to the coop because no amount of coaxing was going to do it. The French Coppers seemed to enjoy the snow and looked amazing against the fluffy whiteness. Strangely enough, the coppers are still laying eggs, both started to lay this winter. Crazy birds.

One of my coops is very small and not insulated so I just penned everyone inside the house (as much for my own comfort as theirs). Fortunately I have a large unfinished basement and a remarkably tolerant husband.

One of my coops is very small and not insulated so I just penned everyone inside the house (as much for my own comfort as theirs). Fortunately I have a large unfinished basement and a remarkably tolerant husband.
My crazy ducks decided to "swim" in the snow all day. They refused to go in their shelter.... Chickens on the other hand all piled out of the coop when we opened the coop. However, they only made it about 15 feet before they headed back in the coop... where they have remained for the past 36 hours.

But, they still gave me eggs yesterday and half my daily allotment so far today.

I just wanted to say goodbye and good luck to everyone here. I have decided that BYC is a hostile environment and I am tired of people insulting my breeding programs. It used to be a fun place to hang out.

I am not leaving chickens but decided that the constant attacks are not healthy nor fun. So if you see me in the show or swaps, please stop and say hello. Stay warm today. It got down to 6 degrees here in Upper Marlboro..

Goodbye Maryland.

Aw, don't let a few sour apples get you down. Some of us Marylanders (like me) are very nice people. :) Please stay, ignore the a**hats.

Well shoot, I've got an extra roo.. I boght day old EE chicks with one rooster ( and got two) which is OK, and last week we thought they started crowing, today I find out it wasn't them but another Roo.. kind of looks like a tan leghorn and its feathers actually shine like fringed with tinsel..

I really only want the EE roosters.. so when I get blue green egga I know they are from EE hen and roo...

I just wanted to say goodbye and good luck to everyone here. I have decided that BYC is a hostile environment and I am tired of people insulting my breeding programs. It used to be a fun place to hang out.

I am not leaving chickens but decided that the constant attacks are not healthy nor fun. So if you see me in the show or swaps, please stop and say hello. Stay warm today. It got down to 6 degrees here in Upper Marlboro..

Goodbye Maryland.

Don't do it. Just block the ones that irritate you. You will really regret letting a few run you out of town like this.
So, stick with it, use the block key, and carry on.
Really.

My crazy ducks decided to "swim" in the snow all day. They refused to go in their shelter.... Chickens on the other hand all piled out of the coop when we opened the coop. However, they only made it about 15 feet before they headed back in the coop... where they have remained for the past 36 hours.

But, they still gave me eggs yesterday and half my daily allotment so far today.

I have never had ducks but I have heard they are a bit on the wacky side.

My hens are still laying too, with the exception of the two that are currently in molt. One had to be put inside, she looked so bad that I could not imagine her staying warm without her down blanket on! She looks like someone tried to skin her. The feathers left behind in the hen house made it look like some kind of critter snuck in there and plucked her clean. Thankfully she is growing them back in pretty quick, so will get a chance to go back to her flock in the next week or two. I am not heating her, but she is in the back room where it is cold, but not the insane cold. She also gets covered with a thick wool blanket every night to make sure the drafts stay off of her. After watching her wander around like a drunk from a lack of feathers we had to do something for the poor girl. Her sister is not in molt and is still giving us eggs every other day. Gotta love these chickens!

Hey there Lovettsville! I am across the river from you in Knoxville, good morning to you too! What kinds of chickens are you keeping over there?
Yep, we are almost neighbors!

I have cream legbars, Swedish flower hens, Euskal Oiloas (basque hens), and ameraucanas (black, blue wheaten & wheaten). How about you? What chickens are you keeping?

My 30 year old QH mare "Josie" enjoying the snow!

Nice filly!
I had a QH mare looked just like this, also foaled in 83/84. She was an accidental breeding between a 32 yr old Stallion and a 20 yr old mare, so she had longevity genes. Had to sell her in 87/88 when I hurt my back and couldn't care for the horses for a while. Anyway, these pix brought a joy to my heart and a tear to my eye ( I must be getting sentimental in my old age!). Thanks.
God Bless You Penny, wherever you are......

Back
Top Bottom