MARYLAND THREAD!

Nice. My husband really likes the chocolate and the lavender orpingtons. He loved them until he saw the breeder priced.
lol.png
they are pricy.

I'm interested in them for their broodiness and because they are dual purpose, I wouldn't buy show quality it's too much $. I'm thrifty

:lol:   they are pricy.

I'm interested in them for their broodiness and because they are dual purpose, I wouldn't buy show quality it's too much $. I'm thrifty
Gotcha. We purchased from hatcheries- mostly. We could not find everything local. This is our first year on the property. We are starting small and going to learn a bit. Next year we may get breeds that we really wanted or keep a breed or breeds that will be our staple. I am so excited.

:lol:   they are pricy.

Be careful with their broodiness. They are great mothers, but since they are heavy birds keep your shells extra strong. The Brahma can crush her eggs. Cochin hens are likely to do the same. I have seen an Orpie do it only once when I was a kid. I am thinking of keeping a silkie and a mille fleur as hatching mamas during warm weather. My mother used to breed them and they are excellent for that.

Be careful with their broodiness. They are great mothers, but since they are heavy birds keep your shells extra strong. The Brahma can crush her eggs. Cochin hens are likely to do the same. I have seen an Orpie do it only once when I was a kid. I am thinking of keeping a silkie and a mille fleur as hatching mamas during warm weather. My mother used to breed them and they are excellent for that.

Thanks. I'll more than likely get mine from a hatchery since it doesn't look like ill get much luck getting local maybe I can get 1 or 2 bantam sizes.

Thanks. I'll more than likely get mine from a hatchery since it doesn't look like ill get much luck getting local maybe I can get 1 or 2 bantam sizes.
Bantams are so cute! Ours is coming from Meyers, so it will be small. It even gives a smaller description than what I am used to in the catalog. Most of our birds are coming from McMurray, so do not feel so bad about buying from hatcheries. I am sure that everything will be fine.

Omgguys Homegoods has awesome chicken statues!!!! They have another one that's like a rainbow rooster that's like 2 feet tall and little hens!!!! Ooooh I wan them all!

Back
Top Bottom