MARYLAND THREAD!

I would definitely get rid of all your roosters since the ratio of hens to rooster is 10 hens for every 1 rooster.
You have mixed up your "rule of thumbs". That is the (suggested) maximum number of hens per roo to ensure fertile eggs in flock mating. I (and many other breeders) have done pair mating with no damage to the hen (physical or psychological). The problem with a high male to female ratio is that the males have to keep the dominance worked out and there are constant challenges from below. Injuries from the frequent combat are likely and the overall atmosphere is more like a fight club than a family. This does affect the hens and can impact their health and laying.

Keeping 2 males that are friendly to each other is usually not a problem, but you should be prepare to get rid of one of them if there are injuries. In fact, I would not hesitate to keep 2 roos with only 1 hen, but I would expect fertility of the eggs to suffer. My best fertility is from pens with only 1 male, even if there are more than 10 hens (I've done 15, for ex), so even that rule is suspect, IMO. I depends on the individual personalities of the birds (and perhaps the breed as well). I still do flock matings with more than 1 male, but my "rule of thumb" is only when the number of hens is greater than 20.

So if you goal is fertility, extra roos are bad, but if you just like to have the roos, an extra roo might work fine, as long as they grew up together and the less dominant one "knows his place".

Well they were all raised together since they were chicks. The ones we intend to keep are very close and have a good pecking order figured out ( figuratively speaking). The other four are constantly trying to climb the ladder which is where a lot of the conflict comes from. It's funny but it almost seems like my roosters have paired off with each other. The two Wyandottes ( Tweedl's Dee and Dumm) and the two Plymouths ( Snowball and Hagar) follow each other around a lot and watch each others backs. While the two Rangers and the Giant seem to have formed some sort of alliance.

Don't get me wrong, the situation isn't dire, no one has been hurt and the Roosters aren't tearing at each other but I do want to resolve the issue before it becomes a problem.

Hello!,

Im in Southern Maryland ( La Plata) very new to the site, and only slightly less new to raising chickens. My father and I purchased some straight run chicks last year hoping that we'd get a decent number of hens. Turns out not so much as seven out of the ten were roosters.

Now we love our boy's, their feathers are beautiful and they are all hilarious, but they keep knackering the three hens we have and it's starting to wear badly on our girls. We're also very concerned because as they get older we've noticed they've gotten more aggresive toward each other and we don't want any of our pretty birds hurt.

We want to find new homes for some of our boys ( we've decided to keep three of our favorites and get more hens) but we don't really know anyone in the area and we want to make sure there going somewhere they'll be healthy and happy ( and not just until they end up in a stew or on a plate) .

Can anyone help us find new homes for our boys? Or recommend us to some organization or some such that would take them in?

Our boys are two white plymouths and two Golden laced wyandottes
welcome-byc.gif
I hope you get someone to take them.

[COLOR=333333]Hello!, [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Im in Southern Maryland ( La Plata) very new to the site, and only slightly less new to raising chickens. My father and I purchased some straight run chicks last year hoping that we'd get a decent number of hens. Turns out not so much as seven out of the ten were roosters.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Now we love our boy's, their feathers are beautiful and they are all hilarious, but they keep knackering the three hens we have and it's starting to wear badly on our girls. We're also very concerned because as they get older we've noticed they've gotten more aggresive toward each other and we don't want any of our pretty birds hurt.  [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]We want to find new homes for some of our boys ( we've decided to keep three of our favorites and get more hens) but we don't really know anyone in the area and we want to make sure there going somewhere they'll be healthy and happy ( and not just until they end up in a stew or on a plate) . [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Can anyone help us find new homes for our boys?  Or recommend us to some organization or some such that would take them in? [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Our boys are two white plymouths and two Golden laced wyandottes[/COLOR]

Some people make a separate "bachelor pad" and keep their boys together there separately from the hens. Without hens they won't fight. Maybe that option would work for you?

Yeah, we made a small bachelor pad for two of the roos. Maybe we'll switch it out and put our hens in the pad instead. Our hens are a Red Ranger and two Bantam so they would fit well in there. Thanks so much, I appreciate the help :)

I would seriously get rid of at least 5 of those roosters and get more hens. Those hens will take a serious beating and possibly even die with those kind of ratios. Best bet is to try and put then up on craigslist. I know its a hard thing to do raising them from such youngsters but it needs to be done

Anybody looking for lavender orpingtons for sale I'll be selling some of mine just private message me or respond to this thread

Hi there I am a back yard chicken keeper in La Plata too! If you are out of options, I take my extra roosters to the Amish, they pay $5 a roo, I am sure 90% of them are eaten, but if this is something you are okay with, then it helps pay for feed for a bit at least!

Back
Top Bottom