MARYLAND THREAD!

We just purchased a home in AAC and with the county law we can have 8 hens! First we need to build a coop up to code and get it inspected and get a license. Joy! Anyone here done this before?

We just purchased a home in AAC and with the county law we can have 8 hens! First we need to build a coop up to code and get it inspected and get a license. Joy! Anyone here done this before?
CONGRATULATIONS! Contact the county about the inspections & licenses, but consult the coops and runs pages here on BYC for great ideas on what and how to build. Oh - and be patient with AA County, for a bit. They've been hit really hard by the the coronavirus, so things are liable to be moving pretty slowly.
Where are you moving from?

CONGRATULATIONS! Contact the county about the inspections & licenses, but consult the coops and runs pages here on BYC for great ideas on what and how to build. Oh - and be patient with AA County, for a bit. They've been hit really hard by the the coronavirus, so things are liable to be moving pretty slowly.
Where are you moving from?
We lived on Fort Meade before and so many places before that, originally from Massachusettes though. Putting down roots in what we hope is our forever home is weird and wonderful! Husband has avoided making new friends the last few moves and said it was too hard saying goodbye to so many people, now though.... when we are allowed to be social again I hope we can make local friends!

Hello fellow Maryland 🦀 chicken 🐤 people-
I am currently in the research and planning phase- we are going to be moving to Baltimore County (1.4 acres, so room for chickens!) and I am wondering what hatchery is closest for ordering day old chicks from?
Thanks!

Hello fellow Maryland 🦀 chicken 🐤 people-
I am currently in the research and planning phase- we are going to be moving to Baltimore County (1.4 acres, so room for chickens!) and I am wondering what hatchery is closest for ordering day old chicks from?
Thanks!
Welcome! You'll like it here! BYC is the best, most helpful online community around!
Ohmagosh! Where to start?

Before you decide on a hatchery,do a bit of self-examination ... The classic "Wheres and Whys" Why do you want chickens? Eggs? Meat? Both? Independent or friendly? Will children be helping to care for them? Will you show? Will you breed? If that's a goal, I definitely recommend starting withOUT a rooster until you get a good feel for your flock.

Each breed and type has their own strengths & weaknesses. Some are good for eggs, some for meat, some for both. Some are better with children. Some do better left alone. Some free-forage, others are more dependent. There are MANY colors, shapes and sizes, from tiny Serama bantams to giant Jerseys & Brahmas ... from sleek games to fluffy kitten-birds to frizzled poofs with Vegas-girl headdresses.

Then there's breed conservation ... do you want to raise one of the endangered Heritage breeds and help save a species? Try The Livestock Conservancy site www.livestockconservancy.org is a lot of fun to peruse.

There are SO many breeds and varieties to choose from that choosing can be daunting, but don't let it become a huge chore. Have FUN with it, after all, no matter what breed or variety you choose, you'll end up wanting "The Whole Set." In these days of Maryland home-schooling, welcome to Chicken Math 101!
:D

Welcome! You'll like it here! BYC is the best, most helpful online community around!
Ohmagosh! Where to start?

Before you decide on a hatchery,do a bit of self-examination ... The classic "Wheres and Whys" Why do you want chickens? Eggs? Meat? Both? Independent or friendly? Will children be helping to care for them? Will you show? Will you breed? If that's a goal, I definitely recommend starting withOUT a rooster until you get a good feel for your flock.

Each breed and type has their own strengths & weaknesses. Some are good for eggs, some for meat, some for both. Some are better with children. Some do better left alone. Some free-forage, others are more dependent. There are MANY colors, shapes and sizes, from tiny Serama bantams to giant Jerseys & Brahmas ... from sleek games to fluffy kitten-birds to frizzled poofs with Vegas-girl headdresses.

Then there's breed conservation ... do you want to raise one of the endangered Heritage breeds and help save a species? Try The Livestock Conservancy site www.livestockconservancy.org is a lot of fun to peruse.

There are SO many breeds and varieties to choose from that choosing can be daunting, but don't let it become a huge chore. Have FUN with it, after all, no matter what breed or variety you choose, you'll end up wanting "The Whole Set." In these days of Maryland home-schooling, welcome to Chicken Math 101!
:D

Thank you- yes, I have been doing quite a bit of research and planning- I have been interested in having chickens for eggs for a long time, but never lived in the right place- now I have 4 kids and we do eat a lot of eggs.
I personally will never show- but maybe my kids could get into 4-H?
The kids may have already expressed preferences for egg colors, so we need 3 that lay blue eggs and one that lays white eggs. Admittedly I think we need at least 1 or 2 brown and dark brown layers as well, so I have a nice mix of egg colors and if I am really honest, I want a mix of pretty but traditional looking birds (nice and fluffy without being floofy.)
Definitely will not breeding anytime soon, not looking for roosters and looking to avoid buying straight run chicks as result.

I have been doing research on breeds/types- I have lists and lists of what are good for families- an entire pinterest board on chickens and all things chicken keeping related.

VERY COOL! One word of advice, though, on your privacy screen ... please DON'T use bamboo! It's invasive and REALLY hard to control once it gets established ... and it establishes as easily as falling off a log ... or falling off a bamboo branch, because every single piece that falls will sprout a new plant! Unless you a have a couple of pandas there to eat the bamboo down every day, you'll be grateful in five or six years!
Instead of bamboo, look into a row of pine trees. You'll not only have a great, year-round privacy screen, but you'll have a ready supply of FREE coop and run bedding right next to your set-up. Pine needles are the best!

EDIT to add: Oh JHEESH! I just realized that I responded to a really old post! I'm gonna leave it, though, 'cause I think the bamboo warning is still a good one ... and the free pine bedding is a bonus for anyone!
Lol its ok thank you for the suggestions! I ended up having to get rid of my ducks because they changed the law and a neighbor complained. You can only have poultry now if you have .5 a acre or more unless you apply for a special permit that I was told could be expensive. Honestly the covid 19 is making me want to write the governor and the county execs. With the price of meat going up and growing food insecurity they should revise the laws to make it easier for people to grow their own food. I wish more people in PG county would write in and voice their concerns, all over maryland really.

EDIT:Which trees do you suggest? Which ones make the best bedding? Oh and which get between 8-15 feet tall? We have one ridiculously nosey neighbor that just won't stay out of our yard. So even if we stayed here and got the permit they'd still be an issue. We're moving to St Mary county soon where its completely legal, but my mom wants muscovys so I want to make things nice for her.

Last edited:
Lol its ok thank you for the suggestions! I ended up having to get rid of my ducks because they changed the law and a neighbor complained. You can only have poultry now if you have .5 a acre or more unless you apply for a special permit that I was told could be expensive. Honestly the covid 19 is making me want to write the governor and the county execs. With the price of meat going up and growing food insecurity they should revise the laws to make it easier for people to grow their own food. I wish more people in PG county would write in and voice their concerns, all over maryland really.

EDIT:Which trees do you suggest? Which ones make the best bedding? Oh and which get between 8-15 feet tall? We have one ridiculously nosey neighbor that just won't stay out of our yard. So even if we stayed here and got the permit they'd still be an issue. We're moving to St Mary county soon where its completely legal, but my mom wants muscovys so I want to make things nice for her.

While I don't love them (and I don't know if they are chicken safe) if you are looking for a fast growing tree that can provide privacy, I would get some Leyland Cypress. They aren't the longest lasting tree- after they get a certain size they can split/tip over, but since you think you will be moving, they would do the job you need them to for several years.

Back
Top Bottom