May hatch-a-long

Pics
How old are the chicks again? If they are only a day old or so they should be fine with the egg. Are they banties too? Sorry I forgot.
Once the bantie is hatched, you can open the bator and take out the older chicks if you are worried. The critical thing is to keep lockdown until your pipped egg hatches so they don't get shrink wrapped in there.
Thanks yes the two chicks hatched yesterday and I just went to check on them and they are eating there own poop should I take them out

How old are the chicks again? If they are only a day old or so they should be fine with the egg. Are they banties too? Sorry I forgot.
Once the bantie is hatched, you can open the bator and take out the older chicks if you are worried. The critical thing is to keep lockdown until your pipped egg hatches so they don't get shrink wrapped in there.
And also how long should it take to hatch after pip and when do I help and should I still do a safety hole

Day 19. Started lockdown. Might have an early hatcher. Although it very well may take it's sweet time and hatch Friday. The eggs collected earlier in the week (4/9) seem to be a tad ahead of the others (4/13).

Remember this hatch is a Girl Scout project. So I'm hoping for 1 to zip during the meeting. I know that's a lot to ask but I'm hoping with this many eggs at least one will indulge me.

Pics are the same egg. Different angle.

Screenshot_20180502-083026.png Screenshot_20180502-083046.png

Can I join in on the fun?! I started my incubation 11 days ago. I am expecting them on Mother's Day weekend. In my incubator we have 10 eggs from our own hens and roos. Not certain which roo will be the daddy but could be my lavender ameraucana or my EE that we sold the day before the eggs went in the incubator. The hens are a mix of brown leghorns, golden comets, a silver laced cochin and a splash orpington.

in addition to those eggs, I bought a half dozen blue orpington and a half dozen black ameraucana eggs from a local breeder.

on day 4 when I candled them I found 3 that are likely duds, one from my cochin and two from the blue orpington. my other hens eggs looked right on track, however the eggs from the breeder looked a day or two ahead. I did find one that I thought was dead because it was bigger and darker in the shell and went to set it down and noticed it was moving around!!! Okay, so now I have a dilemma on what to do with that egg, because it really looked to be at least 4 days farther along than the rest.:eek:

anyway, we are now on day 11, maybe I will take a look again tonight to see how things are coming. Or perhaps I should wait until day 14 - but if I wait it might mean that the one farther along will be needing to be in lockdown at that point and I could end up killing it.

what to do, what to do.......:barnie

Can I join in on the fun?! I started my incubation 11 days ago. I am expecting them on Mother's Day weekend. In my incubator we have 10 eggs from our own hens and roos. Not certain which roo will be the daddy but could be my lavender ameraucana or my EE that we sold the day before the eggs went in the incubator. The hens are a mix of brown leghorns, golden comets, a silver laced cochin and a splash orpington.

in addition to those eggs, I bought a half dozen blue orpington and a half dozen black ameraucana eggs from a local breeder.

on day 4 when I candled them I found 3 that are likely duds, one from my cochin and two from the blue orpington. my other hens eggs looked right on track, however the eggs from the breeder looked a day or two ahead. I did find one that I thought was dead because it was bigger and darker in the shell and went to set it down and noticed it was moving around!!! Okay, so now I have a dilemma on what to do with that egg, because it really looked to be at least 4 days farther along than the rest.:eek:

anyway, we are now on day 11, maybe I will take a look again tonight to see how things are coming. Or perhaps I should wait until day 14 - but if I wait it might mean that the one farther along will be needing to be in lockdown at that point and I could end up killing it.

what to do, what to do.......:barnie
Welcome to the hatch a long

And also how long should it take to hatch after pip and when do I help and should I still do a safety hole
A pip IS a safety hole. Now the chick is breathing fresh air.
Don't open the bator. The poop has enough moisture that they should be ok.
Don't mean for this to sound mean, but why didn't you have the brooder up and running?

Day 19. Started lockdown. Might have an early hatcher. Although it very well may take it's sweet time and hatch Friday. The eggs collected earlier in the week (4/9) seem to be a tad ahead of the others (4/13).

Remember this hatch is a Girl Scout project. So I'm hoping for 1 to zip during the meeting. I know that's a lot to ask but I'm hoping with this many eggs at least one will indulge me.

Pics are the same egg. Different angle.

View attachment 1370646 View attachment 1370649
Oh that would be so incredible for the girls to see!
Fingers crossed!

A pip IS a safety hole. Now the chick is breathing fresh air.
Don't open the bator. The poop has enough moisture that they should be ok.
Don't mean for this to sound mean, but why didn't you have the brooder up and running?
thanks for your help i did have the brooder ready and the chicks stayed in it all day but but i could not leave the heating pad going all night and i am getting the real brooder ready to day with a heat lamp

Back
Top Bottom