McHenry Co. IL Ordinance Change

I'm thrilled to find more like-minded folks out there! I just joined CLUCK - McHenry but maybe we also need to create a CLUCK - Woodstock??? I will "like" Round Lake CLUCK as well and appreciate the info - I had no idea ya'll were out there. Heartwarming! I'm really happy to support ordinance change anywhere locally because anywhere we can make inroads it will hopefully reduce resistance to chickens elsewhere.

Would you Woodstock folks like to meet up and strategize?

Looks like town of McHenry's chicken ordinance vote is May 17th. I work days but might be able to make arrangements and attend depending on the time. I think it would also be very helpful to see how the McHenry people are going about this and get more support and ideas.

Best,

Anna

It looks like the McHenry City Council Meetings are at night starting at 7pm. Held at 333 Green St. I am planning to attend on May 17th for the chicken vote! If McHenry allows chickens surely Woodstock (which I've always thought of as more progressive) will follow? One other thought - Tuesday elections! Consider voting for "green" types, such as some of the Woodstock City Council candidates. They don't necessarily seem to be advertising their "green" attitudes, but I'm aware of at least two greenies who would likely be sympathetic to the urban chicken cause...

Anna,

We'll see you on May 17th at the meeting!

Please remember to keep spreading the word about our Facebook pages so your friends and neighbors can "Join" and/or "Like". Numbers are important tools in helping to build support!

Chicago Land Urban Chicken Keepers CLUCK McHenry Illinois
https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=146187655391713

Round Lake IL Area - Chicago Land Urban Chicken Keepers (CLUCK)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roun...d-Urban-Chicken-Keepers-CLUCK/167144703338419

Fuzzyham

My name is Cheryl and I live in Crystal Lake (not too far from McHenry). I live in a home over 100-years old in the old part of town. Most of my neighbors have 1-4 acres of land--and we are right in town. My husband and I have an organic garden in our backyard--and I am determined that one day I will have chickens out there too. One neighbor said he would have "no problem" with chickens--and I'm sure all my other neighbors would get on-board also with this.

I am willing to do whatever I have to do to get CL's ordinances regarding backyard "animals" changed. It is very vague. I have spent countless hours on-line learning about everything "chicken" and would love to meet others who live in McHenry County (especially those who live in city limits) who are interested in this effort. I am encouraged about West Dundee!

Glad to hear about the May 17 meeting in McHenry, too! Andy, Brian, Anna, Fuzzyham--hope to meet you all!

This is such an unbelievable forum--so glad that I found it.

Cheryl

Great to hear from you, Cheryl. Andy and I are planning to meet up at Green Drinks at Duke's in CL next month. We're hoping to connect with Adrian Plante and would also love to meet you. I believe the next Green Drinks is on May 4th (but not 100% sure, will confirm when I get an email from Defenders) from 5pm to 7pm. Andy and I have lots of ideas on chicken advocacy that we're exploring but we are hoping to talk to Adrian so that we are coordinating together and not duplicating efforts. The circle is slowly expanding! Anna

Cheryl-

I'm glad to hear from more and more locals about this whole chicken effort. The Green Drinks is May 4th from 5-7pm at Duke's in Crystal Lake. Just Google "green drinks" and it is pretty easy to find out more info. Looking forward to meet you fellow chicken wishers soon. I hope to be at Green Drinks but might have a work conflict, I'm trying to get that figured out. Talk to you guys soon.

-Andy

There is a group of us showing the documentary "Mad City Chickens" at McHenry County College in Crystal Lake. The Screening will be on June 28th at 7:00pm in the Conference Center. There will also be a presentation and a Q and A session. Please join us for the evening and show your support. This event is sponsored by: The Environmental Defenders of McHenry County, MCC Lou Marchi Total Recycling Institute, and McHenry County Transition. Thank you in advance for attending.

-Andy

We will also be talking about next steps to create ordinance change in towns other than McHenry as well as unincorporated McHenry County (see CLUCK McHenry on FB for updates on their process.)

If you care about this issue please come out and join us. We need your help! This is a family friendly event so please bring the kids and invite your friends. Cost is monetary donation only.

See you soon,

Anna

In case anyone reading this is unaware, a family in Crystal Lake got caught with 4 hens in the City limits last week. They will be at the City Council meeting on Tuesday July 7th at 7:30pm. Please come on out and show your support. This is your moment, Crystal Lake!

Those of us who organized the Mad City Chickens screening are planning to have a booth at the McHenry County Fair the first week of August. This is another great chance to spread the word, get petitions signed, and get people on board no matter what town they are from. We will need help staffing the booth. You don't need to be a chicken expert (or if you do, I certainly shouldn't be showing up.)

We really need your help as staffing a booth at the Fair is a big commitment. But it will also be good fun!

We are also having a follow up meeting on July 26th at 7pm at the McHenry County Farm Bureau in Woodstock. Things are really starting to move in McHenry County. We had 100 people attend the Mad City Chickens screening
big_smile.png
Come on out and be a part of something truly amazing...

Anna

Back
Top Bottom