McHenry Co. IL Ordinance Change

This is great news so far...I am hoping for the best for McHenry. I don't live there but my boyfriend's mother does, and although she doesn't keep chickens I know there are some semi-rural properties out there that should have the right to have chickens anyway (and other single family residences included). Good luck and wishing for the best!!
thumbsup.gif

I would like to be part of the McHenry movement. I joined the FB page, but there is no updated info on it, as far as I can tell. Please let me know what I can do to help get this thing passed!

Hi,

So sorry, I responded earlier but I wasn't on the website like I should have been and so you didn't get the message.

We are still in the early stages of planning a booth at the McHenry Co. Fair shared with McHenry Co. Transition (mchenrycountytransition.ning.com, also on FB) - which has been tremendously supportive both in terms of funds and volunteer time. We will post something when we get our booth space and need to start scheduling volunteers. The fair is the first week in August and we will definitely need your help.

Meanwhile, if you want to help you can contact: 1) McHenry Co. Planning Dept. to indicate that you would like to see backyard chickens included in the Unified Development Ordinance/UDO (which will update the ordinances on pretty much everything in the unincorporated areas 2) your local McHenry Co. Board members to tell them to support the changes for unincorporated areas around backyard chickens (if they are included in the UDO, which is unclear at this point.) The Board will be voting on the UDO at some point and 3) if you live within the city limits of a town, let us know what town you are in and if so far there has not been a challenge to your local ordinance perhaps you want to start working towards one!

We've also been trying to talk with a local filmmaker about bringing his film (about BYC in Northbrook) - but have not made it very far with this yet.

If you happen to live in the City of Algonquin we are also looking for someone who can challenge the local ordinance there.

If you have other ideas you would like to share, please do!

Best,

Anna

I was told it was legal to have a backyard flock in unincorporated Mchenry County. Is this true? Do you know what the legalities are. I am in unincorporated Cary on an acre and currently have ten 4week old pullets growing in a fenced up baby pool, whoops! Neighboring homes have a few horses and lamas so I didn't think chickens would be illegal.

Hi,

It all depends on your zoning. If your property is zoned agricultural then you are lucky enough to legally own backyard chickens in McHenry County. If your property is zoned residential, however, they are not legal. I have seen properties in Wisconsin (not sure if this happens in IL as well) where neighbors were zoned agricultural right next door to smaller properties zoned residential. So it really is worth checking.

If you don't know your property's zoning, you can go on the McHenry Co. website/Zoning Dept. and ask them to check for you.

If, in fact, you ARE zoned residential, keep a sharp eye on the McHenry Co. Unified Development Ordinance website at:
www.camiros.com/mchenrycoUDO

This is where the County will soon be posting the draft version of the updated ordinances for unincorporated areas - and looking for feedback from the community. They have already been encouraged to alter the zoning in residential areas to allow backyard chickens - we just don't yet know if they were brave and did so.

If they didn't they need to hear from all of us!

The UDO will also have to be voted on by the full McHenry County Board.

You can also connect with us other McHenry County backyard chicken lovers at:

mcbackyardchickens.weebly.com

Hope that helps - send out some positive energy to all of us who are zoned residential and live in unincorporated McHenry County!

Best,

Anna

P.S. Unfortunately, due to financial and time constraints, we will not be having a booth at the McHenry Co. Fair this year.

I'm still hoping to organize an educational film event in Algonquin maybe in the fall - and perhaps using the recent independent documentary on byc in Northbrook. If anyone is interested in helping with that please let me know. These events take a lot of planning.

Anna

I pulled this off of the UDO website.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Zoning for McHenry County[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Upcoming Meetings[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WELCOME![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]McHenry County has begun the process of revising and updating its current Zoning Ordinance, Subdivision Regulations and other development regulations, and integrating them into a Unified Development Ordinance (UDO). To create an effective UDO, the County is eager to work with the public and various stakeholder groups throughout the process to ensure that needs and concerns are addressed appropriately.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SEPTEMBER 2012[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Public review announced.

The Planning and Development Committee has scheduled four special meetings with the Zoning Board of Appeals for the purpose of reviewing the draft UDO. The meetings will be held in the County Administration Building on the following dates and times:

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Thursday, September 27, 2012 - 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

The public is invited to attend. The Committee will accept public comment at the beginning of the meetings in accordance with its normal procedures.

Based on direction from the P&D Committee and ZBA members, Camiros will prepare a revised ordinance. The revised draft will be released for an informal public review meeting to be conducted in late October or early November. The County Board and ZBA will conduct formal public hearing(s) and vote to adopt the Ordinance early next year.
[/FONT]

I will be unable to attend any of these meetings. Unfortunately, I have conflicts with work. I think it would be great if someone could attend and maybe post some version of what was discussed. Anyway, hopefully this language allowing chickens stays in the ordinance. Have a good weekend.

-Andy

I just joined the group. I live in unincorporated McHenry County, Algonquin Twshp. I didn't know chickens were illegal as we have always had neighbors with chickens AND a rooster (auditory proof only-have never seen him). I signed the McHenry Co petition to change the ordinance last weekend at the Green expo at MCC. I'm hoping to stay in touch with this issue and eventually get some chickens in my backyard..
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom