Mealworm farming

For anyone who needs to shut down their farms for any reason, mine being allergies. The beetles freeze just as well as the worms do. They dont stick together and they make a nice crunchy cold treat for the chickies on a hot summer day. I have waaaaay to many beetles to feed out all at once so I tried freezing some. I was very happy happy it worked so well and the chickens love them!

t/m I also keep my substrate in the freezer. How long do you usually microwave it?
Because freezing kills any mites etc. I only zap it enough to take the chill off so I don't shock the worms/beetles when I add it. I have a small set up so only add a little at a time, I really don't remember, I put some on a plate or bowl and start with maybe 15 to 20 seconds, stir with my hand (to move hot spots and gauge temp.) and continue 'till it's as warm as I want.
smile.png

This thread is overwhelming :- )

I started my lil mealworn farm about 8 weeks go with 150 mealworms form a local petstore, a few pounds of wheat bran & a plastic "shoe-box" sized container. All seems to be going well - the worms grew, the worms pupated, the pupae emerged as beetles.......and that is where I was about 4 weeks ago, and still am.... No more worms, no more pupae, all the worm 'exo-skeletons" have disappeare d( I asusme eaten) and I have a thriving colony of about 100 beetles. can you see where this is going?......when will I see worms?

This thread is overwhelming :- )

I started my lil mealworn farm about 8 weeks go with 150 mealworms form a local petstore, a few pounds of wheat bran & a plastic "shoe-box" sized container. All seems to be going well - the worms grew, the worms pupated, the pupae emerged as beetles.......and that is where I was about 4 weeks ago, and still am.... No more worms, no more pupae, all the worm 'exo-skeletons" have disappeare d( I asusme eaten) and I have a thriving colony of about 100 beetles. can you see where this is going?......when will I see worms?
Any day now you will see your substrate moving!! Took mine a little over a month before I saw any movement. Then all of a sudden there they were.

I have a suggestion about that. Weigh one hundred. Then add worms enough to make the count you want. ten bucks is way too cheap for yuck factor.
if 100 weighs two ounces and you want 1000 add enough worms to weigh 20 ounces. You might add more for the DOA factor.

After shipping charges I don't know what you could charge in the US. Plus you might need a business license lol
wee.gif

I've gotten to page 42 reading and am determined to get through the whole thread - some day... in the interim I apologize if this has been asked between pages 43-400.

Does anyone freeze dry their worms to preserve them in plastic containers? I was wondering if that is a possiblity and how to go about doing it. I've saved a bunch of clear plastic tubs from my many mealyworm purchases at TSC. I'd like to be able to keep the mealyworms in those until fed to my chicks. I have the little silicone preserving packages to put in to keep them dry/fresh. I also have a dehydrator.

I know I can just freeze the worms, but I don't have a great deal of freezer space. And this seems like a doable thing - but has anyone else done it successfully?

Thanks,
Bobbie

Back
Top Bottom