Mille Cochin Info

Just hatched my first chicks out of calico milles . got 5 chicks out of about 30 eggs. Fertility is very low. I have 5 hens with 2 roos.all 1 year old. anyone else having fertility issues?

It would mess up the Cochin type and would slow your progress of the mille fleur pattern in Cochins down a great deal in the long run. We try to breed for type first and the pattern will soon follow.
I was just thinking as an experiment, not to re-breed the offspring. You would only have to hatch a couple to see what it would produce, and they would be cute enough to sell off as pets. I think I will do that if my D'uccles ever start laying again. Would be interesting to see since the D'uccle is so predictable.

Quote: the color genetics is the same. they're buff columbian and mottled combined. breeding the 2 together, you're going to get pretty mutts that aren't one or the other. and personally i never liked the personality of the d'uccles. stick with cochins. you'll get further faster. there are enough breeders of decent mille fleur cochins now, that they're not difficult to find.

I have fluffy MFCs in the hatcher! They look black and mottled though... Not sure of their parentage at this point. I am afraid the black boy got my 2 girls hatched from Amy's eggs - Amy and Amelia; the blacks w/ red and light mottled leakage. I separated them into their pens around the time I set these, so I could have black babies or blacks w/ leakage. I have more to hatch yet.

I just hatched 2 from my little girl I hatched from Amy's eggs and they kind of look like mottled. I know Amy said before that she has some come out looking mottled but change so I am hoping this happens in my case. There mom looked the same and now looks like the pic below. Right now I have her with a columbian roo but think I will put her in my mottled pen unless someone has any suggestions.

I really need to get new pics! I have an older pullet in the outside brooder that is showing some promise - she's by Junior and my Luckypickens partridge based MF hen. I hatched 3-4 black MFCs. I don't really know why they are black. All I can figure is they are Beakman (mottled) x ByronxBridgette (BC looking) daughter babies. I thought they would look mottled at the worst, though. I have 2 chicks from my Easter hatch and 5 more that just hatched a couple days ago. My Byron x Bridgette daughters are finally getting cushions! Talk about slow to develop - a year, plus! I guess it's a good thing I didn't judge them to soon. I kinda figured they'd widen because neither Byron nor Bridgette are lacking in the rear.

It's a slow going year. Fertility hasn't been the best. I am procrastinating on trimming butts. It's so time consuming with so many birds.

Hello all, I have been reading along on both the Mille and the Calico threads, but havent really had much to say. I do have some pullets that are sort of MF, but they are not really patterned correctly and a couple arent the right colors. I love them though, they are sweet and pretty. I have been hatching eggs for the first time(last year my friend did the incubation and we split the chicks) this spring. Three of my girls(there are four total) are in with a blue roo, he is split to mottled. I just thought I would share a couple pics.
About 12 days ago this chick was born. It is an orange-ish cream, not nearly as yellow as it appears in this pic at a day old. I thought it was probably a buff chick.

So I took a pic of it at 10 days and it appears to be buff with some white and black on its feathers.

I am soooo excited! I can hardly wait to see what it turns out like.....lol, not to mention what gender it is! It's wings look like this:

The wing appears split, but I am going to wait for it to fully feather out to see if that is so. Thanks for letting me share!

Back
Top Bottom