Muscovy Chat

My muscovies started laying a few days ago. A couple of eggs have been soft and laid in the run rather than in the coop, and they ate one of them.

The others have hard shell.

Any suggestions?

My muscovies started laying a few days ago. A couple of eggs have been soft and laid in the run rather than in the coop, and they ate one of them.

The others have hard shell.

Any suggestions?
Sometimes when they first to lay they can lay soft shells make sure to offer Oyster shell in a bowl close to where they eat.

And laying in the run is par for the course for new layers. Give them a nice quite safe area with plenty of bedding they will soon figure it out

So, a stray duck was found last week and given to us because we already own four ducks. My husband and I are thinking it is a Muscovy. Does this look like a young Muscovy duck to you?

Sometimes when they first to lay they can lay soft shells make sure to offer Oyster shell in a bowl close to where they eat.

And laying in the run is par for the course for new layers. Give them a nice quite safe area with plenty of bedding they will soon figure it out

Thanks. I crushed up some shells and they gobbled it up. Clearly needed that.

Thanks. I crushed up some shells and they gobbled it up. Clearly needed that.

Two solid eggs in the coop this morning (we have two ducks).

And then when I came home, two soft eggs in the run. It's funny how the soft eggs are always outside, solid ones inside.

I'll feed them some more oyster shells and hope for the best.

My ducks sound different now. Rather than the soft trilling/cooing, it's more of a chirp or soft screech. They are 5 months old. There is also some behaviour change. Not sneezing but something similar but as far as I can tell, only when they are around me. Usual appetite and energy.

My ducks sound different now. Rather than the soft trilling/cooing, it's more of a chirp or soft screech. They are 5 months old. There is also some behaviour change. Not sneezing but something similar but as far as I can tell, only when they are around me. Usual appetite and energy.

As they mature voices do change as does behavior. Do you know what you have for sexes?

I'm looking at getting some Muscovy ducks. I'm not sure if this is the right spot on the forum to ask questions? If it is, I'll ask away. If not, could you point me to the right thread? Thank you! Robin

Back
Top Bottom